[FR]Layered Editing/Ghost Notes in MuLab

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Couldn't find thread about this, so yeah, personally this is essential feature for me in 2016 or for any DAW I would use next, without much talking, here's videos explaining how this works and what it is :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvKk2nxV2gA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuo23u4MHgk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tmm7jGfUII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ontgRtCeyvo
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I want this kind of feature too :love:

gammatotchi wrote:I want this kind of feature too :love:
:hug:

Imagine when you are in Edit screen/piano roll, next to Mute and Solo buttons, there is another button/switch on each channel for Show/Hide Notes, so whatever channel you choose on left, get's the priority of editing and from there you can choose which others un-selected channels are visible behind, something like Bitwig solution. :love:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

i desperately need this feature in mulab, i am lost without it, there is no way i can do what i need without it, any way we can fast track this or at least up its priority?

here is additional info on this FR...
mulab6 and ghost notes? are there?
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=422635

+1 would be a great feature to have maybe it could be implemented next to the s/m buttons on the track overview on the left. so you could switch on different tracks to show their notes in the editor.

So remind me people ...
Does Mulab have this in 2022?
Even my copy of ableton Live 11 Suite has this feature now..
If Mulab does not have this please add to the very top of the feature requests.
MULAB NEEDS IT.

You will not realize how much you need this feature until Mulab has it. It is invaluable in other DAW's

Ghost Notes - Feature needs...
1) A different colour for each track, Mulab already has this feature - This will be used to colour the notes for each track in multiple track selection for this feature.
2) A way to select multiple (2+ up to as many as you like) tracks in Mulab to enable this feature on.
3) A way of making one of the selected tracks the active track for this feature. Its notes will be full coloured (bright). So a way off switching between selected tracks to make one track the active track. Only the active track's notes can be edited in the piano roll. The other tracks will have ghost notes - either full colour as per their track or slightly dulled to signify it is a ghost track/notes and not editable until you switch and make it the active track.
4) Method of deselecting tracks for ghost note editing and then turning the feature off/on in the piano roll.
5) Ideally this feature should be able to be set up with mouse and touch if possible. Not just as standard with keyoard keys / shortcuts. Dropdown menus could be used perhaps? or something to click on each track. Maybe a menu item to turn this eature on/off then by clicking on track bars on the left it adds those tracks to have ghost notes. idk whats best.
6) Track name or Instrument name should be displayed (along with colour) when adding to list (for ghost notes) or switching to active track (of ghost notes tracks).

As for ghost notes, isn't that equal to muting notes?

humanboeing wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:04 am As for ghost notes, isn't that equal to muting notes?
No.
All tracks and notes still playback if not muted.
Just that you can view more than one tracks notes in the same piano roll window. Each tracks notes are a different colour, the colour you set for the tracks clips. Usually only the active tracks notes can be edited in that piano roll. The other tracks notes are ghost notes you can still see them in the same one view you just can't edit them as that could cause problems re overlapping notes and wrongly changing the other tracks notes by mistake.
You can change the active track for editing though and the remaining tracks you selected to be ghost notes will have their notes shown in their colour in that same piano roll window.
This feature makes it easier to see how different tracks notes interact with each other.
It's a view based feature request.

Re: Ghost midi notes
Still really need this feature in Mulab. Am editing 2 different instrument tracks that need to compliment each other and be as one, feed off each other really to sound great together, each instrument playing a different melody though but complimentary to each other.. with notes in the right places, sometimes off beat to each other and its so difficult.
Many other DAWs have this feature as standard, I do own some of them that do.
But I started a project in Mulab in 2019 and came back to it recently so I have to continue with mulab now.
I am not expecting miracles from Jo, especially without this thread gaining any tracktion and up votes.

This video in opening post has the perfect implementation of this feature request...
PLEASE THUMBS UP THE OPENING POST IN THIS THREAD - If you want this feature, thanks

https://youtu.be/qvKk2nxV2gA

As per above video, all you need is a way to select multiple tracks / tracks clips and enter piano roll at a certain tracks clip (as wide as clip) or point in the timeline. You do not need an extra window on the left to select which is the active track for note placement, instead as per video just have coloured bars along the top of the piano roll (there are 3 in the video, ideally allow as many tracks as you like - tracks notes are coloured same colour as the track). The bars are as wide as the window but not very high as per the video, just enough for you to click each bar one at a time and change the active track for midi note placement, also to place that tracks notes above the others to make them visible, i guess its like bring to front in programming.

Jo, I have an offer for you, do this and in 2 weeks i will purchase 5x licenses for MuLab 9 App + MuLab 9 Plugin User Keys
119 EUR. I will give the licenses to my friends. As long as that version 9 has the layered / ghost notes feature as per this thread. I don't mind buying if you say you will add this feature into version 9 when you can.

I hope you read this, what do you think?

Even LMMS has ghostnotes and scaling and chords and it's opensource.to create it would be first enough if the notes scaled(min,maj etc) as a layer in the background like in image editing software.
Last edited by martinbuntu on Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “MUTOOLS”