Mulab 7 Importing Midi - hit and miss

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All

Demo-ing MuLab 7 (free) and liking it very much.

Odd problem: I've been playing around with importing
Midi i.e importing a Midi sequence (shop-bought) into one of MuLab's instruments.

Sometimes it works fine..
Other times, the midi sequence will play, but it is not displayed in the instrument piano roll (edit mode).
Neither is it displayed in the sequence bar in compose mode.

It's really hit and miss. I have no idea what the problem is, or what I'm doing wrong.

I have a similar problem using the virtual keyboard when playing a sequence myself. Sometimes the sequence appears in the piano roll, sometimes it doesn't.. And I make sure I always hit "record" before I start playing. Again sometimes the sequence plays back, but cannot be seen in edit or compose mode.

I've consulted the MuLab online manual, but can't find the answer to either problem.

All I can think is that somewhere my settings are not right (?)

Can you see the imported or recorded sequences in the Browser?

Does it make any difference if you save and reload the project?

Hi there pljones

No, can't see anything in the browser.
Haven't tried saving & reloading..

I don't know if this is related..

Often when I load an instrument, the edit mode shows no piano-roll,
and just says "No part".

Seems if I play something on the virtual keyboard, then the piano-roll appears usually with the notes I played, visible.

Is this how MuLab works ?

That seems odd to me, as it means I can't enter notes on the piano-roll
when I first load an instrument !

Jay65 wrote:Often when I load an instrument, the edit mode shows no piano-roll,
and just says "No part".
Strange.
Starting from a new project, which exact steps do you take to get to this situation?

Hi Mutools

1. I click on Mulab.exe

(Program used to launch into a new project. This evening, I get a new box called "Open Project". Below are 5 options: Open, New, Template, Demos & Quit.

2. I select "New" and the new project page appears.

3. Far left, screen shows that "Basic Synth Rack" has been loaded.

It is in Compose mode, showing no sequences.

4. I click on "Edit" tab.
It says "No part". No piano-roll is visible.

5. I click on the "Project" tab and bring up the virtual keyboard.

6. I click on "Record" and play something.

7. I click on "Record" again to stop recording.

8. I click on the "Edit" tab.
The notes I played are now in the piano-roll.

9. If I click on the "Compose" tab, the sequence pane show the
pattern from the piano roll.

That's it..

Thx for the step by step. Indeed after step 4 the editor says No Part because there indeed is no part yet, as you can see in the composer. After you recorded something there is a sequence part indeed. Isn't that logical?

Logical. Yes.
But when I initially load an instrument, I expect to see an accompanying
empty piano-rolll; so I can enter notes with the pencil tool if I want to, rather than having to load the virtual keyboard and playing something.

Is that unreasonable ?

If that's how MuLab works, I can get used to it..
Just think it's a little quirky..

Now just have to figure out why midi files sometime don't show up
in "Edit" mode or "Compose" mode...

If you want an empty sequence Part without recording:
1) Run MuLab
2) Select "New" (assuming the factory "New" template)
3) Press Ctrl and draw in a new part on the "Basic Synth Rack" Track
4) Double-click the drawn Part to open the Sequence Editor

If you want selecting "New" from the menu to open up with a sequence Part already in a Track, then you can set the project up how you want and save it as a template called "New". (Of course, you can then include other instruments, say Drums, Bass, Rhythm Guitar, Lead Guitar and vocal melody Racks with appropriate instruments and effects.)
Last edited by pljones on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay65 wrote:Logical. Yes.
But when I initially load an instrument, I expect to see an accompanying
empty piano-rolll; so I can enter notes with the pencil tool if I want to, rather than having to load the virtual keyboard and playing something.
Well maybe you expect that, maybe other users won't like that. I mean: When loading an instrument would automatically create a new sequence part to draw notes in, it would also predefine the loop length for that sequence, which may not be what you want. And maybe you (or another user) didn't want such part at all cause you want to record something...
Hope you see that there are many different options / user workflows / ...

Note that you can make a template project with predefined sequence parts, maybe that will increase your workflow comfort.

Thank you pljones for your suggestions.
Going to bed now. Working earley tomorrow.. But will try what you say as soon as I can :)

Thank you Mutools. You have a point about that predefining of the loop length. Guess I'm used to that from years using my old daw (Orion Platinum). That predefines all sequences as 16 steps. It is a pain though, when I wanted to play something on my midi controller, and didn't have a set time in mind.

I've only been using MuLab 5 days or so. Still lots to learn.
But I'm really enjoying finding out new things, and new ways of working.

Many thanks to you & pljones for helping me.

Now.. Any idea why midi files sometimes don't show up in the piano-roll, but still plays back ?? That's really baffling me.

Jay65 wrote:Any idea why midi files sometimes don't show up in the piano-roll, but still plays back ?? That's really baffling me.
Once you've got a saved project where this happens, someone can take a look to see what's going on.

Jay65 wrote:Thank you Mutools. You have a point about that predefining of the loop length. Guess I'm used to that from years using my old daw (Orion Platinum). That predefines all sequences as 16 steps. It is a pain though, when I wanted to play something on my midi controller, and didn't have a set time in mind. I've only been using MuLab 5 days or so. Still lots to learn. But I'm really enjoying finding out new things, and new ways of working.
Feel free to keep on sending your user feedback, it can help to further improve MuLab.
Any idea why midi files sometimes don't show up in the piano-roll, but still plays back ?? That's really baffling me.
Do you have a precise step-by-step how to repeat that issue?

Hi Mutools

I'm trying to reproduce the Midi problem.. but can't. MuLab is working fine presently (which is fine by me).

Strange: because this problem has occurred several times.

I'll keep trying; and as pljones suggests.. I'll save the project if it happens again.

RE:
If you want an empty sequence Part without recording:
1) Run MuLab
2) Select "New" (assuming the factory "New" template)
3) Press Ctrl and draw in a new part on the "Basic Synth Rack" Track
4) Double-click the drawn Part to open the Sequence Editor

Thank you so much pljones. Works perfectly :)

Return to “MUTOOLS”