Optimized CPU usage
7%
MuSynth as VST plugin
2%
More clear and tight relationship between tracks and racks
1%
Time Stretching
13%
Loop composer / clip launcher mode for intuitively building up patterns / live performances
16%
Freezing
8%
Arpeggiator / Step sequencer module, embeddable into front panels
14%
Scalable user interface, customizable fonts
3%
Other, specified in post
7%
None
2%

Total votes: 209

RELATED
PRODUCTS

look out! thur i is, hur i go...

the crushing power of mulab 7 will punch a hole through the competition's defenses and dominate the international music software market in one fell swoop! i cannot WAIT!!! :party:

wot would great if you could work with audio clips in the same way as bitwig and ableton can and also if you could slice the loops a bit more tighter i mean the slice makrers as your always haveing to fixed them for example when you slice a rex file it slices it up more precise

all FR to MIDI controller and external MIDI sound device handling, that i have posted in last two years...
but nothing of them was ever planed to realise...

cant even start to imagine how this is going to look the clip launcher / loop composer and time stretching as well will help me as from time to time i work with loops :) :hyper:

I voted for clip launcher functionality, as it would be a really nice fit to Mulab and give me a a reason to use it more. For me the current weak link of Mulab is the very poor MIDI loop recording functionality. I like to play most of my parts in via a drum pad, keyboard or midi guitar and Mulab's way of recording a loop is quite woeful. Maybe the planned clip launcher will replace the current workflow?

If you setup a loop region and hit record, sure it will record but there is absolutely no feedback either in the way of displaying the notes recorded or playing them back. When you hit stop you are then presented with a popup box instead. How am I meant to fluidly work in this manner?

The normal way of recording in ,say a drumloop, is to hit record and play a part, then add some work the second time around and then keep adding until done, all along seeing the notes that have been laid down as well as hearing them back. This is a standard "overdub" (or merge mode as Mulab calls it) but there should also be a replace mode or a way of having each loop record into another "take".

Without getting any feedback on what is being recorded, you are essentially stabbing in the dark. Even if you aren't recording a loop, it is still good to see notes being recorded into a clip as you play...visual feedback is always reassuring when you are recording! It seems that Mulab has been developed more for the piano roll programmer in mind, more so than someone playing their parts in. Similarly, when you record a parameter knob, you can't hear it's effect or see any recorded track until you hit stop, which is not a good way of working!

And as someone who has been using Mulab and MUX since v3, one of my main piano roll annoyances is still in there....why do we still not have a "monitor on moved notes" just as we have a "monitor on draw notes" option? I don't understand the reluctance to add this, like every other daw I have ever used. Having to use modifier keys like alt just breaks the flow for me, when I have one hand on an instrument and another on a mouse! Everyone has there own idea of what is the best mouse/key usage for its functions, so maybe you should add user customisable keyboard/mouse controls for the piano roll (much like is in Reaper).

Personally I like single left click to add a note, single right click to delete a note, left click drag to move a note, and then a toggle button(or modifier key) for painting successive eight/sixteenth notes and another toggle (or modifier key) for marquee selection. This way you wouldn't need those 2 standard/pencil functions and this workflow would work well for one handed or 2 handed use depending on your preference.

Anyway, look forward to seeing what ends up landing in Mulab 7 , as I would like to use it more if the above mentioned issues are ever tackled. I mainly use MUX inside Reaper as I then have the best of both worlds, but I do sometimes like to throw down some quick "sketches" inside Mulab, before taking it over to Reaper for further development. The beauty of having MUX in both is that I can replicate my effects chains and synth patches that I setup in Mulab back over into Reaper using the MUX vst which is quite a cool workflow :)

Shit, a bit late to the party. I as well as others have requested Live Performance features for Mulab a while back, hitherto, with little to no interest. Glad to see there is a bit of interest.

Jo, are you looking into adding serious live performance features for Mulab to compete with IE: Ableton Live or is this just going to be a basic loop recording, clip triggering feature?

In case you decide to go with the former, here are some ideas to turn Mulab into a competitive Live Performance tool:

-Flexible Grid

Allow any clips to be grouped together for syncing/simultaneous playback. Regardless of what row and column the clips are in, any clips can be grouped to one another.

Have ability to assign grouped clips to one MIDI CC/Note and/or keystroke. So once clips are assigned to a group for simultaneous playback, they can all be triggered by a single button, key or what have you.

-Exclusive clips

By this I mean Each clip has exclusive settings IE: basics like panning and volume of course, but also BPM, time signature, loop points as well as effects (effects per clip).

Here's where this can REALLY shine. If clips are grouped together to play simultaneously, have the ability to select what syncs and what plays exclusively.
So you have CLIP A and CLIP B grouped so that they play simultaneously, however it is set up so that only playback syncs but each has their own exclusive BPM setting.
Even though they will playback at the same time, each one will be playing at different BPMs (ie Clip A at 124bpm and Clip B at 98bpm). With clips having exclusivity, you can have great options with what exactly syncs in regards to grouped clips.

A great idea would be the ability to assign multiple racks to a clip (or bring back the ability to assign a clip to any rack).

-Single Sample Clips

So if I drag a single drum sample .wav file to a cell, it becomes the clip. This way one can treat the grid like a big drum sampler.
What would be REALLY cool is having sampler features to manipulate the file IE: reverse, stretch, slice etc. Tools to manipulate the sound of the file IN REALTIME. This is so key for live performance. Sounds manipulation, on the fly, in realtime.

Here are some requests probably a bit far off but, might as well throw it in, especially if Mulab were to compete with the big boys:

-Allow exclusive playback per clip, so one can play forward, another backwards, another randomly etc.
-Multiple sessions (grids) that can sync together.
-Multi loop points within a clip. So if you have a song file loaded to a clip, you can set multiple loop points within the file and instantly recall any point on the fly. It's like saving multiple loop points and have this ability on a per clip basis.
-Beatslicing and random shuffle of slices all in realtime. Once a random shuffle is set, you can decide to save this shuffled state to a new clip if you want...once again, all in realtime via MIDI and or keystroke.

Think Live Performance.....everything has to be done via MIDI or keystroke control and as quickly as possible.

Last but not least, KEEP MULAB FREE FROM HAVING THE NEED TO INSTALL. This is one great thing about Mulab. Just drag it to a folder or USB stick and voila...good to go. Hopefully this remains as new features get added.

I've got more ideas but that's it for now. It all depends on how serious you are in making Mulab a true Live Performance tool that can compete or just be "another kid on the block" so to speak. You have the potential with your app that's for sure.
Cheers!
Ask not what your DAW can do for you, but what you can do with your DAW

? ? ? wrote:KEEP MULAB FREE FROM HAVING THE NEED TO INSTALL. This is one great thing about Mulab. Just drag it to a folder or USB stick and voila...good to go. Hopefully this remains as new features get added.
Can't say how much I appreciate this too! 100% agree Keep MuLab Portable :tu: :pray:

sl23 wrote:
? ? ? wrote:KEEP MULAB FREE FROM HAVING THE NEED TO INSTALL. This is one great thing about Mulab. Just drag it to a folder or USB stick and voila...good to go. Hopefully this remains as new features get added.
Can't say how much I appreciate this too! 100% agree Keep MuLab Portable :tu: :pray:
+1 this has and continues to make upgrading version very easy. Drag, drop, done. :tu:
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

dakkra wrote:
sl23 wrote:
+1 this has and continues to make upgrading version very easy. Drag, drop, done. :tu:
I do agree for myself, but for "newbies" it might be a bit awkward/technical (and some people do actually just prefer to use installers), because almost every other software program/daw has an installer. Lots of software these days have an installer AND a portable/zipped version download to choose from.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Agreed - installers just make people who like installers feel comfortable. And given how simple the installer need be, it wouldn't take long to write with NSIS. You could even get it to make sure you do NOT install anywhere under Windows governance, if you wanted. Then regenerating the installer .exe takes very little time once you've built each application release itself.

Installers make me uncomfortable! You never know what else is being installed! Look at Adobe Flash for the perfect example, it ticks the box to install McAfee, which is a pain to get rid of, but if you don't notice this little box being ticked you get it regardless!

sl23 wrote:Installers make me uncomfortable! You never know what else is being installed! Look at Adobe Flash for the perfect example, it ticks the box to install McAfee, which is a pain to get rid of, but if you don't notice this little box being ticked you get it regardless!
That's not the installer's fault, it's the fault of the company producing it. (I install nothing from certain companies, of which Adobe is one.)

Yeah true, but that's the trouble, you don't know what they're installing along with the software you wanted.

So, how do you cope with flash then if you don't install adobe?

I live without it. HTML5 means it's no longer really relevant. Sites that don't support HTML5 should.

? ? ? wrote:Last but not least, KEEP MULAB FREE FROM HAVING THE NEED TO INSTALL. This is one great thing about Mulab. Just drag it to a folder or USB stick and voila...good to go. Hopefully this remains as new features get added.
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
sl23 wrote:Installers make me uncomfortable! You never know what else is being installed! Look at Adobe Flash for the perfect example, it ticks the box to install McAfee, which is a pain to get rid of, but if you don't notice this little box being ticked you get it regardless!
+1 I hate installers as well. Actually I always look for a portable version, if there's none I try to unpack the applications/plugins installer and if it doesn't work after unpacking the installer I most likely just scrap that app and never come back to it again (except for a rare circumstances when I'm sure I'll need that specific software and that it won't blow my system). I just want everything to be maintainable: I want to know what dlls are added to my system, what's put into registry, if there are any leftovers in the user/documents, etc.
Oh... and as an addition... Most often maximum portability = maximum cross platform compatibility (think Linux + Wine :wink: )

Return to “MUTOOLS”