Phonec 2 and Echomelt as "portable" VST's

Official support for: psychicmodulation.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Jack
I wrote to you a while back about the fact that your new generation (non-SynthEdit) VST's store settings in a directory away from the VST itself (Public Documents). I use Reaper as my DAW in the "portable" self contained configuration... and in fact install it into a Dropbox synchronised directory. So my second PC always reflects the changes to songs and patches I've made. It works really well but of course all VST files need to be in Reaper's directory. Works great with your old Synthedit VST's (which I still love) but Phonec2 and Echomelt are less co-operative. In fact they do work by just dragging the dll into the Reaper portable directory but I lose the ability to load banks and presets on the machine which didn't have the original installation. I wonder... is there any chance to have an option to choose the storage location for these files?
There is a great freeware VST in the current KVR developers challenge (Deducktion) and the dev made an option that recognises a directory local to the dll.
Cheers
Paul
P.S. Sadly, even the great Synth1 insists on storing ini files away from the dll :-(

Hi Paul, I can't promise anything, but I can look into this for future updates.

I use multiple computers myself, and I just have the directory installed on each machine. The drawback is that my 'Default' patchbanks are not synced. To remedy this I created a 'patchbanks' folder in the cloud, where I simply update it each time I make significant changes to my patchbanks. Then when I use Phonec or EchoMelt on my other computer, I just replace the local patchbank with the synced one. It's a little bit of a workaround, but it works for me. One thing I've learned also is to compare the 'date modified' of the synced patchbank with the local one if I get confused as to which is more recent.

I actually keep the entire Presets/Banks directory in the cloud in case I need to use the plugin on a computer that the directory isn't even installed. I just drag and drop 'Phonec_2' into the Public Documents folder on any Windows machine and I can use Phonec, with all of my patches, temporarily.

Thanks for the reply Jack. Sounds like you have a similar way of working... but I must say that having everything in Dropbox (or whatever synchronised cloud) is just so easy! Anyway fingers crossed for a future update :-)
Looking forward to your new drum machine.... and your archive of old PM VST's!!
Cheers
Paul

Return to “Psychic Modulation”