Phonec Updated to v2.2

Official support for: psychicmodulation.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Phonec

Phonec v2.2 has several new features including an onboard Chorus effect that can be integrated into the Melt function, a 3-band fully Parametric EQ, Pan tracking for widening arps and pads, new timings for th Arppegiator and Sequencer, new waveforms and modulation possibilities and several improvments.

New Chorus effect with Melt functionality
New 3-band Parametric EQ
New Pan-tracking
New waveforms: Bell and Ramp
New LFO target: Logic
New Mod Envelope targets: Logic, Osc1/2/Sub/Noise Levels
New Arp and Seq timings and 1/2 switches
Improved slider/knob sensitivity
Fixed: Clipping noise with Echoshifter
Windows: Banks folder now installs into Public/Documents
**You will need to copy any user banks into the new location.

Read more about Phonec and try out a demo version here

thank you, looking forward to trying this out later!

I'm not sure I understand what's going on with the new installation. I started to update but the installer didn't give me any choice of where to put anything. I have 2.1 in its' own sub-folder of a custom VST folder on an second drive. Is this no longer possible?

jPod wrote:I'm not sure I understand what's going on with the new installation. I started to update but the installer didn't give me any choice of where to put anything. I have 2.1 in its' own sub-folder of a custom VST folder on an second drive. Is this no longer possible?
All of the previous Windows installers had the same default location. Perhaps you moved the plugin manually at some point? But you are right, the ability to choose the destination should be an option. We'll go ahead and update the Windows installers.
<EDIT>
Actually there is a 'browse' button for choosing the location of the dll. Is this what you meant? Are you on Windows?

[quote="jack [psychicmodulation]<EDIT>
Actually there is a 'browse' button for choosing the location of the dll. Is this what you meant? Are you on Windows?[/quote]

Solved. Thanks Jack.

I finally got around to using this new update (been busy working on completely unrelated stuff). Man, I am blown away! This synth had unbelievable potential. The inclusion of aftertouch and midi learn in particular has really taken this synth to a new level, and I am getting sounds with it that I have literally never been able to get with other synths before.

What I am living about Phonec now is that it is expressive as hell. Playing it, live, has so much character. For example, turning aftertouch to engage the HFO creates so much potential for sounds that evolve at my whim in ways. Where as the HFO was amazing before, being able to engage it with aftertouch has really made this synth become a powerhouse darkhorse that I think a lot of people might be sleeping on. So many of the features, from the echo, the the melt, to the subtle button in the LFOs is really designed to give this VST an amazing live character, for evolving pads or even just bass stabs.

I load this up with an instance of Sound Toys Decapitator on it to take a lot of the edge off, and I can't tell the different between this and Diva, which I also love. I am mighty impressed, Jack. Mightily impressed! I am excited to be able to experiment with this thing for some recent projects.

There are only a couple of things really keeping this synth from being the very top of my heap right now. With the LFOs, I noticed that there is no setting for triple time, which makes adding triplet vibrato impossible. I tend to always use triplet 8ths when it comes to vibrato, and the absence of this has made it a little hard to be my go to for leads.

Also, There is no mono retrigger mode, which does make limit some of the uses for leads and tight bass lines as well. Sometimes you want to have a tight sound that is the same with every new note. I also picture this as playing polyphonically, just with a polyphony of 1. So not mono or portamento, but still one not.

Also, the one thing that no VST has, but I think could really suit Phonec and be yet another first in it's list of firsts, is a release on the aftertouch effect. I know I can just release the key slowly to do this, but it is really hard to get it smooth. I have always wanted a synth that has a release value\envelope for when the aftertouch is no longer engaged. So If I press the key and start to apply after touch up to a peak, if I let go completely at full aftertouch, the effect that the aftertouch is triggering slowly backs away according to the aftertouch release, instead of just stopping completely. I think this would work wonders for the type of gorgeous VHS pads that Phonec can create from a live playing perspective.

In any case, damn, this VST is really delivering on a ton of potential! I really respect your vision with this thing!
A heaping dose of outrageously goofy synth tracks, scores and chiptunes.

https://raddlandstudios.com
https://youtube.com/NorrinRadd22

Norrin_Radd wrote:I finally got around to using this new update (been busy working on completely unrelated stuff). Man, I am blown away! This synth had unbelievable potential. The inclusion of aftertouch and midi learn in particular has really taken this synth to a new level, and I am getting sounds with it that I have literally never been able to get with other synths before.

What I am living about Phonec now is that it is expressive as hell. Playing it, live, has so much character. For example, turning aftertouch to engage the HFO creates so much potential for sounds that evolve at my whim in ways. Where as the HFO was amazing before, being able to engage it with aftertouch has really made this synth become a powerhouse darkhorse that I think a lot of people might be sleeping on. So many of the features, from the echo, the the melt, to the subtle button in the LFOs is really designed to give this VST an amazing live character, for evolving pads or even just bass stabs.

I load this up with an instance of Sound Toys Decapitator on it to take a lot of the edge off, and I can't tell the different between this and Diva, which I also love. I am mighty impressed, Jack. Mightily impressed! I am excited to be able to experiment with this thing for some recent projects.
I'm glad you got to dig into it! I agree that the Aftertouch capabilities, and the ability to send those targets to the Modwheel, make for some very creative expression. I wonder how often it gets overlooked. I'm designing a patch bank of 128 Synth Bass patches that will take full advantage of linking the Modwheel to Aftertouch. I'll be releasing this soon.
There are only a couple of things really keeping this synth from being the very top of my heap right now. With the LFOs, I noticed that there is no setting for triple time, which makes adding triplet vibrato impossible. I tend to always use triplet 8ths when it comes to vibrato, and the absence of this has made it a little hard to be my go to for leads.
Good call! I will make note of that for the next update.
Also, There is no mono retrigger mode, which does make limit some of the uses for leads and tight bass lines as well. Sometimes you want to have a tight sound that is the same with every new note. I also picture this as playing polyphonically, just with a polyphony of 1. So not mono or portamento, but still one not.
I'm not sure I understand that right. In mono mode, it should be retriggering notes correctly.
Also, the one thing that no VST has, but I think could really suit Phonec and be yet another first in it's list of firsts, is a release on the aftertouch effect. I know I can just release the key slowly to do this, but it is really hard to get it smooth. I have always wanted a synth that has a release value\envelope for when the aftertouch is no longer engaged. So If I press the key and start to apply after touch up to a peak, if I let go completely at full aftertouch, the effect that the aftertouch is triggering slowly backs away according to the aftertouch release, instead of just stopping completely. I think this would work wonders for the type of gorgeous VHS pads that Phonec can create from a live playing perspective.
I get what you mean! Never really thought of that, I'll look into the possibility though.
In any case, damn, this VST is really delivering on a ton of potential! I really respect your vision with this thing!
Glad you're enjoying it :)

I'm not sure I understand that right. In mono mode, it should be retriggering notes correctly.
Sorry, reading my post back again, I wasn't making much sense. My fault.

The feature, or lack of a feature, that I am speaking about is basically still a mono mode, but it is one that will not remember past notes that are still held down (accidentally held down, in my case). It's due to my own sloppy playing, but when I am playing a tight bass line, my fingers are sometimes still holding down notes that I don't want to hear again when I release the current note I am on. For fast little funky riffs, in a typical mono or legato mode I always end up getting notes I don't want in between the ones that I do, due to my own sloppy finger work still holding down notes (I use two hands to play my mono basslines, for example). Limiting the polyphonic mode to 1 usually does the trick for me in synths or samplers that have the option. But if there were a way to turn off previous but still held down notes in mono mode, that would work as well. I swear that functionality has to have a name.

This is probably a niche request, but I swear it results is punchier and faster basslines for amateur keyboardists :) Phonec is just too much fun to play live, which is why most of my suggestions are of ultra niche to the way I have learned to survive on the keys.

Also, as for a bank of synth bass patches? Count me in on day one!

Any plans to put out a 64bit version of Phonec 2.2 as an Effect VST for that glorious Melt feature?

Norrin_Radd wrote:
Sorry, reading my post back again, I wasn't making much sense. My fault.

The feature, or lack of a feature, that I am speaking about is basically still a mono mode, but it is one that will not remember past notes that are still held down (accidentally held down, in my case). It's due to my own sloppy playing, but when I am playing a tight bass line, my fingers are sometimes still holding down notes that I don't want to hear again when I release the current note I am on. For fast little funky riffs, in a typical mono or legato mode I always end up getting notes I don't want in between the ones that I do, due to my own sloppy finger work still holding down notes (I use two hands to play my mono basslines, for example). Limiting the polyphonic mode to 1 usually does the trick for me in synths or samplers that have the option. But if there were a way to turn off previous but still held down notes in mono mode, that would work as well. I swear that functionality has to have a name.
Ok, I get what you're saying. That's the "Mono note priority". Currently it's set up to trigger the last note held when releasing the next. I can easily implement a way to set it to low/high range notes, or just turn it off completely, in the next update.

Norrin_Radd wrote:Any plans to put out a 64bit version of Phonec 2.2 as an Effect VST for that glorious Melt feature?
An effect plugin is in the works, but it's not simply an effect version of Phonec, it's a new plugin based on Phonec's various FX sections, but expanded with some new features. I will have more info about this soon.

I am absolutely loving this synth mate. :)

synaesthesia wrote:I am absolutely loving this synth mate. :)
Happy to hear :)

This is one of if not the best synthesizer I have ever used! :clap:

Version 2.2 works great and I even made my own sound bank of presets for it! I love that "Boards of Canada" sound that it makes!
https://gum.co/phonec2boards

Thank you for making this plugin and I wish you the very best. :)

larslentz wrote:This is one of if not the best synthesizer I have ever used! :clap:

Version 2.2 works great and I even made my own sound bank of presets for it! I love that "Boards of Canada" sound that it makes!
https://gum.co/phonec2boards

Thank you for making this plugin and I wish you the very best. :)
Nice! These sound great :)

Can I add a link to this pack on the Phonec page?

Return to “Psychic Modulation”