PulseCode Drum Machine is now available

Official support for: psychicmodulation.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

PulseCode is a PCM Drum Machine that pays tribute to the gritty, lo-fi sounds from the late 1980s. PulseCode takes a different approach to "sample-based drum synthesis", using strategic layering concepts that are based on the various techniques used by producers of that era to get massive drums sounds. All of the sounds supplied with PulseCode have been resampled in 12 and 13-bit with vintage gear to stay true to the era. Gated reverb is effortless with PulseCode, as each sound includes it's own sampled 13-bit reverb layer recorded from a vintage unit from the same time period. These techniques can usually be tedious and time consuming, but with PulseCode they are second nature. The result is that big drum sound so prevalent in the 80s and often heard in EBM, Industrial, Electro, Coldwave, SynthPop and Synthwave. But PulseCode is designed for experimentation and can easily be taken into uncharted territory for a more modern approach to these styles and beyond.
  • 8 Drum Engines for loading up a variety of Sound Elements.
  • Each Element is made up of 6 layers: Core, Grit, Hit, Body, Reverb and Noise.
  • All layers of each Element have been sampled in 13-bit using vintage gear.
  • Compressor, Filter and Saturation per Drum Engine.
  • 64-step Pattern Sequencer with lane for each drum.
  • Unique Pattern Offsets for creating variations to your patterns.
  • Multi-parameter Accents for each step.
  • Individual Speed and Length for each Sequence Lane (allows polyrhythms).
  • Adjustable Flams per step.
  • Flow: controls the movement and rythmic flow of each sequence lane.
  • Fracture: momentary buildups and breakdowns using snap-back controls.
  • Drum Mixer with Multiple Outputs for each drum.
  • Drum Fill Arpeggiator for automatic rolls, fills and more.
  • Pitchbender & Modwheel integration of Fracture and Flow.
  • Tight sync to Host tempo and position.
  • MIDI Learn and automation of most parameters.
  • Sub-presets: separate load/save settings for Drum Engine and Sequencer.
  • Double Click Parameter Reset.
  • Intuitive patch management system.
  • Default bank of 128 example presets.
  • Includes several Sounds Elements to start out.
  • More soundpacks will be available in the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZId-DAC8GU

PulseCode is available for $89.

For purchasing options and demo downloads please visit:
https://www.psychicmodulation.com/pulsecode.html

Great thing. congrats. bought it some days before... good would be the ability to drag the rhythm as midi or audio directly into the timeline of my DAW. :)
Last edited by mfkne on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Holy crap. This thing is AMAZING.
Many plugins out there claim to capture a genuinely retro sound. Most of them don't, offering pale approximations....this thing, on the other hand, THIS is a retro beat box! The sound is so authentic I kind of can't believe it. This must have been a true labor of love.

Just demo'ing it right now but rest assured I'll be grabbing the paid copy shortly :)

Could you please release a plugin version of the reverb this uses?? It's (retro) perfect! Am I correct that it's actually a Mono reverb?

mholloway wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:27 am Holy crap. This thing is AMAZING.
Many plugins out there claim to capture a genuinely retro sound. Most of them don't, offering pale approximations....this thing, on the other hand, THIS is a retro beat box! The sound is so authentic I kind of can't believe it. This must have been a true labor of love.
Thanks! A lot of time and energy was put into that sound.
Could you please release a plugin version of the reverb this uses?? It's (retro) perfect! Am I correct that it's actually a Mono reverb?
The reverb is actually sampled. For each Element, I recorded the reverb of each core sample from an Alesis Microverb. Then resampled it to 13-bit using an Ensoniq EPS. So that's the sound you are hearing. And yes it is mono.

Is it possible to lock the sequencer state between presets? I have some drum sequences on my tracks and have to disable PulseCode’s sequencer every time I audition kits.

The reverb is actually sampled. For each Element, I recorded the reverb of each core sample from an Alesis Microverb. Then resampled it to 13-bit using an Ensoniq EPS. So that's the sound you are hearing. And yes it is mono.
Which Microverb did you sample?

Also, am I right in thinking that you ran the sample through the Microverb, sampled the verb, resampled it using the EPS, and then what, the result gets layered/mixed in? Really curious on how this works.

I'm definitively considering this plugin. I've downloaded the demo.

It sounds fantastic in the video. :clap:
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:47 pm
Which Microverb did you sample?

Also, am I right in thinking that you ran the sample through the Microverb, sampled the verb, resampled it using the EPS, and then what, the result gets layered/mixed in? Really curious on how this works.

I'm definitively considering this plugin. I've downloaded the demo.

It sounds fantastic in the video. :clap:
Not sure which Microverb, it's a small unit. And yes, the reverb is recorded then resampled. A very tedious process. All layers are combined into an Element, which is supplied with PulseCode. When an Element is selected from the dropdown list, each of the individual layers of that Element (Core, Grit, Hit, Body, Reverb and Noise) are loaded up into their respective parts of the Drum Engine. I go into more detail about what goes into each different type of Element in the back of the user manual.

masterhiggins wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:36 pm Is it possible to lock the sequencer state between presets? I have some drum sequences on my tracks and have to disable PulseCode’s sequencer every time I audition kits.
Do you mean so that the play button stays off universally rather than per preset? No there's not, but I can look into this.

I have no idea how this thing could have stayed under my radar, but I'm glad Synthopia added it to their feed.

As a high-ranking member of the Hardware Sampler Loonies, I got chills down my spine when I played around with the demo. And then I read you used an old EPS classic for the sampling - that explains it. If I would wear a hat, I would tip it. But I don't - so instead I rush to your shop and buy it.

Sir, you have made something extraordinary.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Very promising plugin!

Suggestion: there is a way to quick cycle through the presets (triangle left/right buttons). I think something like this should be implemented for the Elements field to be able to cycle through the available sounds. Maybe a keyb. hotkey if there is not enough room to add the triangle buttons?

And yes, I support adding some randomisation to the sequencer as other suggested.

Thank you!
CU
VK

Randomizing kits would also be great, mixing different kicks and snares and hats on the fly.

DrGonzo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:22 pm I have no idea how this thing could have stayed under my radar, but I'm glad Synthopia added it to their feed.

As a high-ranking member of the Hardware Sampler Loonies, I got chills down my spine when I played around with the demo. And then I read you used an old EPS classic for the sampling - that explains it. If I would wear a hat, I would tip it. But I don't - so instead I rush to your shop and buy it.

Sir, you have made something extraordinary.

/C
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback :)

Valery_Kondakoff wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:09 am Very promising plugin!

Suggestion: there is a way to quick cycle through the presets (triangle left/right buttons). I think something like this should be implemented for the Elements field to be able to cycle through the available sounds. Maybe a keyb. hotkey if there is not enough room to add the triangle buttons?

And yes, I support adding some randomisation to the sequencer as other suggested.

Thank you!
Yes, I'm looking into adding an easier way to navigate the Elements. It's actually alot more difficult than simply adding left/right arrows though, and this is because it's a different kind of list system than that of the preset banks. But this is definitely something I want to implement.

Never mind. I think I figured out finally. :dog:
-JH

Hello, I am using FL studio 12 and I am trying to use the sequencer for my song. There is no way to control the sequencer from the piano interface of the PulseCode Vst. Basically I want to place different drums parts in the same track using different sequencer presets
Is this possible ?
thank you in advance!

Return to “Psychic Modulation”