simple simple question. Baby steps

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am frustrated and confused.
I have a Behringer UMC404HD. I downloaded Audacity which is supposed to capture four tracks at once.
Not so easy.
So I went to Tracktion T7. It doesn't seem the right choice for simple capture and basic mixing.
So now what?
The plan was to learn how to record live off the floor of a small jazz trio with four separate tracks.
Now I'm sinking in a swamp.
How do I set up four channels simultaneous?
I can't justify paying $$$$$$$$ for software I don't understand and will never use.
I can handle basic stereo editing and didn't think this would be a quantum leap.
And yet it appears to be just that.
Is there are way to capture four tracks at once in T7? How, because it seems to only let me capture Tracks 1-2 or 3-4.
Suggestions?

You could try Reaper, as it is fully functional “nagware” (only on startup) unless you buy it.

Or Cakewalk, which is free.

Thanks. I'm told Tracktion will do this...in the process of downloading the ASIO drivers now
I'm loathe to keep jumping from software solution to software solution without much idea of why and what I'm doing....as I said, I have good computer skills in some high level programs (Photoshop, Quark, various video editing programs and basic audio stereo like Audacity) but I am trying to raise my game and there are a million different ways to get there but I am looking for those baby steps and a how to guide to get from A to B to C to D.......(sounds like a song coming on LOL)
I don't mind paying for software if its the right software for what I want to do...but I'm cautious about jumping in, paying for a program and then finding out, a) it won't do what I want or b) the unassisted learning curve is too steep....and so it ends up not being used or you just end up using 10% of its capabilities.
Tracktion seems okay (hate the colours in the interface, really hard to see wonder if I can change that!!!) but again...
Right now the quest is for a mobile DAW to take to a rehearsal or performance space, plug in, hook up mikes and DIs, get levels and let it run.
Take those files, mix them down roughly mostly for levels, not much for effects, and then review performance or rehearsals or use the tracks for demo purposes....(adding solo players for future performances and letting them use the tracks to rehearse with)

Follow the instructions in the yellow box to setup multitrack recording in Audacity ...

https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tut ... rdubs.html

Basically you hold shift when pressing record on multiple tracks.

You can record 2 stereo tracks at the same time (1/2 and 3/4) or 4 mono tracks (1,2,3 and 4).

There's usually a place at options where you can set the inputs.

How many words did you type here and how long did you wait for an answer?
Type instead “tracktion record multiple tracks” into a google or youtube search field... including watching a video (even Behringer made one...; - ) I guess less time...

(Tracktion is way better for what you want to do than Audacity...)

thanks. But yes...I tried that and I came up with nothing helpful.
I have the configuration down thanks to the immediate answer I got here in less than 24 hours, more or less overnight.
I am now moving on to the next stage which is to capture. Followed by mixing down to two tracks.
This is a journey. It seems obvious to you.
It is not obvious to me. Yet.
but thanks for your advice.

By the way, I'm a writer by trade, so typing words is as fast and as natural as breathing to me.

great info - learning a lot form these great questions.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”