Do I need studio monitors? (Presonus Eris E3.5, E4.5, and/or E5 any good?)

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A pair of small monitors and pro grade headphones are fine. You can then reference your mixes on earbuds, other headphones, car speakers, portable speakers, club systems, etc. Using monitors in a room that is not acoustically treated is tricky as the room acoustics and speaker placement will color the sound. If the mix is critical, you can have it mastered at a studio with an acoustically treated room, great monitors, and outboard gear. In the end, it only matters that your mix translates well to the devices and systems where people will listen to them.

I'd say room treatment is far more important than the speakers. I always had the same pair of 5 inch KRK speakers but when I did some basic treatment in my room (rockwool corner bass traps and side panels, acoustic foam covering on the ceiling), I sorted a lot of problems which my older mixes used to have (lack of clarity, wrong balance, lack of punch in the basslines)

On the downside, this made me much more hard on myself in terms of mixing quality, now I can hardly finish tracks because I'm never happy with the mixing :?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

pekbro wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:36 pm I have a $10K Eurorack system outputting to a $300 pair of Eris 5's. They sound fine for the most part,
save that their low end isn't super low.
I've been looking at monitors and found Tannoy Reveal 502 have good reviews and frequency range: 49 Hz - 45 kHz
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:45 pm
pekbro wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:36 pm I have a $10K Eurorack system outputting to a $300 pair of Eris 5's. They sound fine for the most part,
save that their low end isn't super low.
I've been looking at monitors and found Tannoy Reveal 502 have good reviews and frequency range: 49 Hz - 45 kHz
I have a pair...
Very happy with them...

BUT...

They have just released these, Tannoy gold series in 5, 7 and 8" dual concentric speakers, as made famous by Tannoy, way way back.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/tannoy-gold ... gJhTfD_BwE

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-pro ... ors-4.html

PS.. I'm still thinking about your ADAT problem... If I get some time later I'll post some thoughts.

I would say nobody needs studio monitors because every studio speaker, especially low and middle class, have their weak points like hi-fi stuff, too. And so you have to train your ears with every speaker again and again. I started with cheap monitors and step by step I bought more expensive monitors. My last "studio system" was a Focal System and it was good. But then I found a 25 years old Hi-Fi plastic compact system with much bass in a cellar from a friend. And we tested if it's stll working. And now I'm using that system since years for making music and sold my Focal stuff and don't miss it. My mixes are not worse than before!

And I don't need a studio soundcard, too because I can simply connect my laptop on my hi-fi system and then using ASIO4all in my DAW. With my Focal system I used a RME soundcard and monitor controller ... just much money for the industriy nobobdy really needs! :D

Anybody here who use studio monitors primarily for playing guitar? I sold my amp and all stompboxes and moved to a VST world months ago. I have bought JBL305 and Beyers DT770. Unlike headphones, I'm not very satisfied with JBLs. Guitar sound is somehow thin/sterile and not punchy as I was used to. The DT770 are better than OK from that point of view. So I'm not sure if e.g. bigger woofer (6.5", 8") would be an improvement or maybe some other brand (Kali,Adam?) is less "sterile".

To be totally honest, I'm not so super thrilled about my JBL 305's as well. They're OK, but... I miss a bit of "fun". Due to lack of experience I'm not sure if other flat monitors aren't in the same direction though.

chk071 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:44 pm but... I miss a bit of "fun".
Yes, that's exactly what I have tried to describe in my post. Thanks!

chk071 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:44 pm To be totally honest, I'm not so super thrilled about my JBL 305's as well. They're OK, but... I miss a bit of "fun". Due to lack of experience I'm not sure if other flat monitors aren't in the same direction though.
I've not had much experience with huge high-end speakers, but some good speakers are indeed fun. Everytime i work on some shit speakers or headphones for some time, and come back to my studio Twins + Sub (JL Audio), I smile a little when the sound surrounds me.
Depends on what you're looking for in a sound tho.

filo01 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:40 pm Anybody here who use studio monitors primarily for playing guitar? I sold my amp and all stompboxes and moved to a VST world months ago. I have bought JBL305 and Beyers DT770. Unlike headphones, I'm not very satisfied with JBLs. Guitar sound is somehow thin/sterile and not punchy as I was used to. The DT770 are better than OK from that point of view. So I'm not sure if e.g. bigger woofer (6.5", 8") would be an improvement or maybe some other brand (Kali,Adam?) is less "sterile".
I'm satisfied with my Kali LP6, but when I had to buy them, I made a comparison with JBL 305 MKII and the sound wasn't so different to my ears. Kalis are a little more deep in lows and brilliant in mids, nothing shocking though.
A good woofer (and treatment) is an improvement for sure, but it depends on your room, I guess.

filo01 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:40 pm Anybody here who use studio monitors primarily for playing guitar? I sold my amp and all stompboxes and moved to a VST world months ago. I have bought JBL305 and Beyers DT770. Unlike headphones, I'm not very satisfied with JBLs. Guitar sound is somehow thin/sterile and not punchy as I was used to. The DT770 are better than OK from that point of view. So I'm not sure if e.g. bigger woofer (6.5", 8") would be an improvement or maybe some other brand (Kali,Adam?) is less "sterile".
It's your room and sitting position unfortunately.

Well, if you don‘t call it „sterile“ but „neutral“ that‘s exactly what you want from a monitor system.
I own a pair of Adam TV 5 (plus a subwoofer)
And really like them - they sound neutral - not „good“
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

Septimon wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:59 am Well, if you don‘t call it „sterile“ but „neutral“ that‘s exactly what you want from a monitor system.
Sorry but T5V aren't exactly reference :)

There's a but more nuance to what you're saying. First, there's no perfect neutral speaker. It's design compromises affect sound in one way or another. couple of build examples:

Driver setup:
- single driver (auratone)
Pros: no crossovers, so theoretically uniform phase response.
Cons: limited frequency response, limited SPL. Design of a driver rigid enough to produce extremely low bass and extreme highs with decent SPL is practically impossible.

- 2-way/3way:
Pros: better SPL handling and frequency response
Cons: problems with phase response due to crossovers

Enclosure design:
- ported design (most monitors, including your T5V):
Pros: Less excursion and consequently less distortion, especially around tuning point of the vent. Increased efficiency.
Cons: Transient response, phase issues with vent+speaker output. Depends on the design, port noises (something Adam in particular is notorious for.)

- Sealed design (Neuman kh310, midrange portions of a lot of 3-way designs)

Pros: Great transient response. No tuning issues. Small box volume.
Cons: Extremely inefficient. You need very strong drivers and strong amps to counteract the back-pressure (spring action) of a sealed box. If not done well, it can actually increase distortion. That's why a lot of subwoofers are servo controlled, to compensate for this.

Passive radiator (Focal SM9, SM11, SM8, Amphions, Eve Audio)
Contrary to popular belief and instinct, these are NOT similar to sealed, but ported designs.
Pros: No port noise, high efficiency
Cons: even steeper rolloff than ports, phase and transient response

I.e. both Focal and Neumann monitors are neutral, but nobody every described Focals as sterile, while Neumanns are often described as sterile and uncompromising.

Bottom line, speakers are a VERY personal choice and a matter of taste, so there's all kinds of flavours of neutral.
And indeed, in my opinion, some speakers sound good and some don't. It's subjective. For example, i can appreciate KH310 for its qualities, but to me it doesn't sound good. :)
On the other hand, Focal sounds very pleasant and most would describe them as good, but a lot of people complain that they're too forgiving. Both were used to mix incredible records and both are used by great engineers.

Septimon wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:59 am Well, if you don‘t call it „sterile“ but „neutral“ that‘s exactly what you want from a monitor system.
TBH, I feel like I have to rather get used to that sound. And... what I also noticed is that the sound is better when I keep my ears in line with the high tweeters (like it is also described in the speakers' manual). I think I'll also get me some blanket insulators, because the speakers are quite close to the wall, and I hear some boom-y resonance.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”