Which software modular to buy into?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you have good computer, go for softube modular.

Other wise cherry audio or reaktor.

They are a bit heavy but you can at least have one module and more in the rack without cpu glitches and make complex patches but you can forget it with softube modular. But yeah, if you have great computer softube modular is really good.

So tired of softube modular. Dosent bother any more to try it out beqause is not working on my computer.

Sorry for the hate...
Stop the monsters

My favorite is Cherry Audio Voltage Modular, mainly because of workflow/speed and DAW integration. VCV Rack is the close second, especially when v2 will be released with host integration (for 99 USD). There are far more videos/tutorials for VCV Rack as well as established great community and huge amount of modules (with some unique ones), but you can use this principles in any other modular. To summarize, I'd say download VM demo and VCV Rack and choose which is better suits your needs.

PS There were no releases in the past months for Softube Modular and it seems like they are stagnating. UI is the worst from the bunch (personal opinion), I'd say don't bother with it.
System: i7-14700k / 64Gb / RME UFX / Focal SM9 / NI S61 / Push 2
Synths: Sub 37, Boomstar 4075, NL4, Analog Keys, Prophet-6

kresbeatz wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:34 am My favorite is Cherry Audio Voltage Modular, mainly because of workflow/speed and DAW integration. VCV Rack is the close second, especially when v2 will be released with host integration (for 99 USD). There are far more videos/tutorials for VCV Rack as well as established great community and huge amount of modules (with some unique ones), but you can use this principles in any other modular. To summarize, I'd say download VM demo and VCV Rack and choose which is better suits your needs.

PS There were no releases in the past months for Softube Modular and it seems like they are stagnating. UI is the worst from the bunch (personal opinion), I'd say don't bother with it.
Yeah, I'm sure I'll play around with both Voltage and VCV here and there. I've heard interesting things about what the Grid can do with plugins in Bitwig, but I can't try it in the lite version that I have (and I don't seem to get along well with the Live/Bitwig style workflow). So, instead I'm starting to see what I can do with Voltage Modular's external VSTi and effect hosting to create something at least vaguely reminiscent of those capabilities in my preferred DAW.

As to VCV, there are so many modules I kind of get lost in them the same way I can in the Reaktor user library, but I have been using the mobile (miRack) version of it on my tablet, which gives a bit more of the tactile knob-tweaking modular feel than you get with mouse/keyboard. Still just working with getting used to linking up the basic modules rather than jumping into some of the more complex and exotic ones (even with what I'm guessing is a subset of the available ones, miRack has an absolute ton to go through). Learning somewhat on it, though, as it's easier to open up and play around with for a few minutes between projects than firing up my workstation for a full DAW session.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”