Which software modular to buy into?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been interested in modular synthesis for a while, but I've only actually started playing around with it this year. I've had Reaktor for a while, and now it has Blocks/Racks for a more direct modular approach. I also picked up Voltage Modular during one of the ultra-cheap sales, and have the core+drums version. And of course there's also VCV rack, which will apparently be a plugin soon...

The thing is, each of these is a large, complex system with a considerable learning curve, and a wide variety of modules (and additional modules/packages to buy, potentially ballooning the cost). After considering this, I realize that while I have played around with all of them a bit, it only makes sense to invest in and dive into one of these systems, both in terms of money and also the headspace required to learn and get proficient with it (I know that they mostly follow similar concepts, but each has its own workflow and idiosyncrasies).

What I'm trying to figure out is, which system is the best choice to adopt? All seem well-developed enough that they will probably stick around (Reaktor perhaps even more so?). What I'm most interested in is ease of learning and working with, and understandable documentation. I know a fair amount about synthesis, but haven't generally worked with this level of connecting all the parts together.

If you have experience using one of these software modulars (especially if you use a specific one mainly/primarily), I'd be interested to hear which of these you think is the most worthy of buying into/committing to, especially for someone relatively new to modular synthesis.

Well, modular is all about understanding the modules and their role.

If you're just after regular patches, you should be able to easily copy your monosynth in a modular world.
If you're looking for exotic, unheard sounds, better go check eurorack videos on YouTube, which show some weird-ass patching of modules used in unusual way. Many eurorack have no equivalents in a standalone synth world.
Neither of these have anything to do with virtual modular environment you're going to work with - just pick modules and patch cables, there's nothing more to it. You're only limited by your knowledge and creativity.

Personally I picked Reaktor Blocks, as it's not only smooth on its own, but also has massive support and huge library of community-made modules available for free. If you want a package of ready-to-go modules, check Toybox.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

If you want a simpler modular synth which still has some great modular capabilities, i suggest you to check out modulair by full bucket music (Its a freeware)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

I don't think it really matters which one you get, probably the one you like to work
with the best. If you want software versions of actual modules, get VCV or Softube's
modular. If you don't care about that, Voltage Modular is a nice choice, but definitely
can become costly. Reaktor is nice as well.

Anyway, all of their costs, pale in comparison to the $10k I've spent on Eurorack Hardware to date.

*BTW: there are actual hardware modular and semi modular systems that you can get for
a lot less than what many have invested in the software stuff. Just sayin :)

Modulars are very fun to mess with for hours... but most of the time you can get the same sound with semi-modulars and non-modular synths.
I don't see what is the point of buying anything else when you already have Reaktor and Voltage. The user library alone in Reaktor cannot be explored in several lifetimes.
If you have Ableton Suite, you also have Max4live and there is also a user library for it...

My vote will be Softube modular, because it has the most close to the real world experience with modular. Add-ons emulate real gear and they sounds great. Yet, I agree with the comment above, you will get your sound much faster with a 'regular' synth which has all the parts already interconnected in a useful way. To wrap your head around modular check out the Lynda course on modular synthesis.

There was a plugin called vaz modular. It was my favorite modular synth for ages, but it’s now discontinued. I would recommend something like reaktor or max/msp that allow for nearly infinite flexibility. I’ve not found too much in ST Modular, or Voltage, or any of the things that try to follow the hardware paradigm that really made them worthwhile. With the fully modular environments like Reaktor etc. you can get all the benefits of a modular system with all the benefits of hardcore digital processing too.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Aside from “fully modular”, u-he has bazille and ace which are both simple to use and amazing sounding, while also letting you make lots of incredibly complex sounds with fully modular routing.

vaz :cry:

Cherry Voltage it's the most affordable and rapidly expanding.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:06 pm There was a plugin called vaz modular. It was my favorite modular synth for ages, but it’s now discontinued. I would recommend something like reaktor or max/msp that allow for nearly infinite flexibility. I’ve not found too much in ST Modular, or Voltage, or any of the things that try to follow the hardware paradigm that really made them worthwhile. With the fully modular environments like Reaktor etc. you can get all the benefits of a modular system with all the benefits of hardcore digital processing too.
It really all depends on what you are are trying to achieve with the software, but I would tend to agree with Ah Dziz about Max/MSP, PureData, Reaktor or something similar. They allow for sound design beyond what the systems mimicking hardware generally do. For example, I use software to replicate real-world environments; something not easily achieved with the hardware paradigm. Just my $0.02.

vurt wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:22 pmvaz :cry:
I miss it regularly. That was my first real software synth.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:39 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:22 pmvaz :cry:
I miss it regularly. That was my first real software synth.
mine too, and purely coincidental we both chose the same book for our names :o

or it was the universe telling me it was the right synth!

I'll just leave this here :hihi:

https://youtu.be/frT4TwSHm1k

the universe needs to sort my budget before that is "the right synth" :lol:

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”