Unbalanced vs. Balanced :: How do I connect monitors to a Scarlett 18i8?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I've never really understood "balanced" vs "unbalanced" signal cables and want to make sure I don't mess up my gear. I have a 2nd gen. Scarlett 18i8 interface and want to connect the monitor outs to an old stereo receiver & speakers. In the part of the manual about connecting monitors, it says:
https://customer.focusrite.com/sites/cu ... -guide.pdf
All the line output connectors are 3-pole (TRS) ¼” (6.35 mm) jack sockets, and are electronically
balanced. Typical consumer (hi-fi) amplifiers and small powered monitors will probably have
unbalanced inputs, either on phono (RCA) sockets, or via a 3.5 mm 3-pole jack plug intended for
direct connection to a computer. In either case, use a suitable connecting cable with jack plugs at
one end.
I'm not sure what is a "suitable connecting cable" going from balanced TRS to RCA. Earlier in the manual, it states:
MONITOR OUTPUTS 1 and 2 – two balanced analogue line outputs on ¼” (6.35 mm) jack
sockets; use TRS jacks for a balanced connection or TS jacks for unbalanced. These will
generally be used for driving the main L and R speakers of your monitoring system; however,
the signals at the outputs may be defined in Focusrite Control.
Couple of questions:
Is it best to use 2 of these TRS adapters to connect to a standard consumer-grade receiver's RCA inputs?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id= ... 1&format=2

Or these TS adapters to do the same?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id= ... 1&format=2

Or does it not matter because there is some smart circuitry in the Scarlett that knows what to do with both of the above?

And if I use a Y adapter like this, can I use only 1 of the monitor outs and connect to both RCA inputs on the receiver?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7226

Thanks in advance,

_theJestre
Last edited by xjestrex on Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your links are blocked because you have so few previous posts, however, based on what you've written, I recommend 2 TRS-to-RCA cables. The TS-version might work, but since you know you have balanced outputs, might as well use the TRS plug.

The Y cable is not going to work, since you will only get one side of the stereo signal reaching your receiver. You need to use two outputs from the Scarlett to get both left and right channels

Wanted to follow-up on this and post the solution, hope it helps someone else in the future.

I bought enough of both types of adapters from Monoprice since they were so cheap. It turns out that I need to use the TS adapters when connecting this to a consumer-grade stereo receiver. Using the TRS resulted in a very (very!) low signal to the receiver, so low that the receiver's volume needed to be turned all the way up. Using the TS adapters resulted in a much louder signal at the receiver.

Thanks,

_theJestre

Of course the mono adapter will do. If you connect a balanced output to an unbalanced input (or the other way round), the whole connection will be unbalanced anyway.
The stereo adapter is meant for stereo outputs and will turn them into mono, but if you connect a balanced output, the two signals will cancel each other out, theoretically to zero. The idea of a balanced connection is, that the hum you pick up with the line will cancel out, but the input needs to be balanced, to sum up the signal with its phase inverted signal...
Search Google to learn about balanced vs. unbalanced...

P.s. finding good thread titles: if this “unbalanced vs. balanced” would have been in the thread title, you might have gotten this answer faster. Your problem had nothing to do with your interface brand, and you wanted to connect it to an amplifier. Studio monitors usually are active and have balanced inputs. Reading just the title would lead to the answer “just get cables and plug them in”. First I did not bother to read your problem and it seems those who did, have no idea about unbalanced vs balanced either...

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”