How to convert from AU plugins to VST?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To save space on my laptop hard drive, I've always just installed the AU versions of plugins. I'm an Ableton user, but I'm on a Mac, so I figured if I decided to jump over to Logic for whatever reason, all my stuff will be there.

But now I'm considering moving to PC, and I'm terrified of the thought of converting everything over. I have almost 200 tracks in various states of completion and there's simply no way I'm going to go through and be able to go through everything and save the synth/effect patches replace the AU with the VST.

Am I doomed? Has anyone experienced this? I know Ableton's file format is editable, so maybe someone has written a script?

Converting a Logic project to Live is a complex task in itself, the plugin format being comparatively easy (save the preset, load it into the vst...)
I can‘t even imagine an automated process, the only similarity between these two is their names start with L...;-)
Finish your tracks in Logic and do the new ones in whatever you switch to...

You can't just save an .aupreset and open it in the vst version. VSTs use .fxp presets instead. But if the plugin provides an own preset manager, which is the case today in almost all, then you simply save your preset using the plugin preset manager, and then load the same preset within the vst version.

I think it was not a good decision to choose AUs at all. It's more future proof to only use VST or VST3 in general. See how Apple ruins it. Stay save, don't let them ruin your workflow and work.

Best is if you replace now all AUs in your Ableton projects with VSTs. You can already do the whole work on the Mac side.

Regarding Logic, save the presets inside the plugin, forget about any Logic only plugins. Export MIDI. You will loose all the routing and mixing settings, AFAIK. Logic is not a good idea, it is Apple proprietary.

Btw. because of the extremely poorly implemented AU validation service in macos, a lot of AUs will cause a constant recurring disk access load, which is so high in load it even can cause early harddrive fails (you can watch this in filemon). It will also cause other DAWs to load slower than usual. That's why I switched to VST only instead. AU is very faulty.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”