Ramp (inverted sawtooth) in VSTi plugins

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I tend to use that (ramp, or whatever you prefer to call the waveform) quite a bit when making patches, etc.

But it seems to be absent in numerous VSTs. Which is strange, given how useful it is (like, just as important as sawtooth, IMO).

So, how many do have it? In particular, for LFOs, but if elsewhere too, that’s also cool. :tu:

Other than the direction (going up vs down) can you tell me what is the difference with a regular saw wave? Does it sound different?

Because I think saw & ramp are one and the same :shrug:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:22 pm Other than the direction (going up vs down) can you tell me what is the difference with a regular saw wave? Does it sound different?

Because I think saw & ramp are one and the same :shrug:
well he did say particularly the lfos, where yes, a rising lfo on a filter cutoff will sound different to a falling :)

vurt wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:09 pm well he did say particularly the lfos, where yes, a rising lfo on a filter cutoff will sound different to a falling :)
Missed the part about LFO's, well spotted!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Indeed - ramp in LFO form does precisely the reverse of what saw will do.

And am I imagining it, or is it actually still quite uncommon among VSTi plugins?

You do not need it if plug-ins have attenuverters (bipolar knobs) for modulation depths.

kvotchin wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:35 pm So, how many do have it?
Quite a few... :)

A negative modulation amount---> destination will do
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

its more interesting to consider what we typically have, to be what's important to use. since it's something we all share, and please, if you're smart enough to have an alternate use for something, then you're good to go for establishing a new translatable standard method.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”