Newbe: "best" CCs/params to map to controller

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Drummer here, starting with recording.

Q: Which kind of synth blocks/params are the most important to map to a midi controller? Or to rephrase the question: what 8 parameters are the most common to modify during playing? 16? 24?

I have a micro 37-key keyboard for playing. Since it has no faders or knobs, I've also got a Novation Launch Control XL for those things. (8 faders, 24 knobs). Pls don't ask why I haven't got a 25/49 key with knobs/faders kbd 😁 instead). I've also checked some default patches from Charlatan, Synth1 and TAL Noicemaker, and settled for focusing on the latter to begin with.

But, TAL Noicemaker (and most other vsts) have more than 32 controllable parameters - much more than most keyboards knobs/faders, so I want to have a "default" set of blocks/params independent of vst.

So, what to focus on when the controller has only 8 knobs (typically 25-key keyboards) ? 8 knobs+8 faders (typical 49 key kbds and some 25-keys), 24 knobs+8 faders (such as my LaunchKey)? ADSRs? LFO? OSC1 (+OSC2)? I intend to put markers on the controller for simplicity, and use midi learn in the vst.

Generally, some blocks (depending on vst) seems to have different number of params, 2, 3 or 4, depending on block and vst, and they are of course not always even the same, but I guess some are more commonly equal or comparable between different synths? It seems most vsts use 1 set of ADSRs modeled as faders, or 2 sets named filter, amp, mod, env, env-1/2 etc, and similar for other blocks (modeled as knobs) , too.

I've looked at what's printed on the Arturia KeyLab Essential 49 for inspiration, and they printed 2 ADSR blocks, cutoff, resonance and 2 LFO parameters. (The Mk II even has 3 banks, supporting 48 CCs).

The context is that I generally want to modify some parameters while playing, but don't care so much about programming my own patch or making major changes to existing patches prior to playing. I don't intend to experiment much with different synths (yet), but want to get pointed into the right direction from the beginning.

I guess you understand what I mean...

/Fredrik

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”