Need both flat-response headphones AND audio interface

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have recently moved from another country and need rebuilding my home studio. Actually a very fun process! :tu:

Something I struggle with is getting the bass/treble balance right... using headphones. (And please, please don't turn this into a thread on monitors for mastering. Of course, if I record something smashing I can always send it off to a mastering service anyway. And yes, I do know about the IK Multimedia iLoud MTM's - which I hope to get for my next apartment.)

Moreover, I would need a new audio interface, for recording my own vocals (and not for anything else really).

My budget is reflected in the above statements: top 200 euros for headphones, and hopefully less for the interface (say Scarlett v3 Solo or 2i2).

There are of course a number of threads on this subject, both here and at Gearslutz, but I am wondering specifically about what interface I would need to drive a certain type of headphones, i.e., get a match for a flat response.

I already have closed-back headphones for tracking, and now am thinking open-back, for monitoring as close to monitor sound as possible. I have these three headphones in mind:

AKG 702
BeyerDynamic DT-880
AKG 712
(The Sennheiser HD's are more expensive and not necessarily flatter than these, as far as I can tell from reading forum posts)

It seems the 702's are a apparently a bit bass-light. The 880's are mid-shy (which I reckon is why they sound so boring). The 712 seems like the best bet to me. Note that I don't particularly care about level of detail etc (these are all good headphones anyway) but specifically bass/treble accuracy.

Then, I would need a capable audio interface, and I hope that would do the trick, or should I get both a Scarlett (say) and a dedicated headphone amp? Or a better interface with more juice? I feel the fewer the boxes, the better. :wink: Also, I certainly don't want a headphone amp that colours the sound!

I don't want to play music loud. I do a mix of electronica and piano ballads (go figure!) but because of my tinnitus (due to a kids' prank, not due to performing music actually) I cannot play music on high volumes anymore. I read somewhere that a headphone amp (onboard the audio interface or separate) would still be good, but I am not sure.

(It has appeared to me that just for checking bass/treble, I could maybe buy something really inexpensive, which may not sound so good but still be accurate.)

And yes, I know about Reference and MorphIt. Have tried MorphIt but don't really trust it, honestly.

All ideas are welcome! :)

(Just to clarify all info above: I am thinking AKG 712 Pro and Scarlett 2i2, and wonder if the 712's would sound accurate with the onboard headphones output of the 2i2. Also, I wonder if there is a better combo at this price range for getting an accurate bass/treble response.)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

AKG K702 lack bass. Light on bass is an understatement, i could never work on them unless boosting bass by 6dB on the master. But I did, for 6 years at least.
K712 apparently fixes that.

Scarletts in my opinion are unreliable garbage, I'd advice Steinberg UR series in that price range. They're built better, have less reports of failure, and they don't abandon them after 5 years (like focusrite did with gen1 scarlets), and my gf runs her K701 successfully with the UR12.

If you can afford it, get an RME BabyFace.

I just bought four pairs of https://www.thomann.de/intl/si/superlux_hd662_f.htm for monitoring in the studio, apparently they're flat. I don't know.
Compared to my other headphones: Focal Spirit Pro, AKG K702, AKG K272 HD, they don't sound as pleasant, but they might be on the "flatter" end of the spectrum.

You will struggle to make a final mix on the headphones, no matter which you buy.
So at this point, the most important thing is that:
- you like how they sound
- you know whether you need closed/open-back design
- they sit well on your head.

Everything else is a matter of preference . You can make them "flat" with Sonarworks, but I don't think flat spectrum is the holy grail of anything in the audio world.

Akg 371.

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply!

I looked at the Superlux (they usually pop up in these threads) and I agree they seem very flat, actually based on the AKG 712. Apparently they need some burn-in time to tame the highs (so you might like them more over time).

I have had the Scarlett Solo 2nd edition and really liked it honestly. I don't know though if anyone has a stronger mic amp built in, or whether it's a problem to be concerned with at all. Yes, I know the RME Babyface is excellent, but at over 600 euros for something that wouldn't really add much to my mixes, I'd rather buy Omnisphere. :hihi:
Go MuLab!

keel wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:10 pmAkg 371.
Thanks! Yes, I agree it seems to be a great set of headphones, and in a way very tempting (and chaper as well). ...but I'm thinking: wouldn't open-back be better for a more "realistic" (whatever that means) response?
Go MuLab!

Open-back, to me at least, are less fatiguing for extended periods of time.

Ploki wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:40 pm Open-back, to me at least, are less fatiguing for extended periods of time.
Yes, thanks! And also more natural since they take in the environment and avoid standing waves, hence my idea about https://www.thomann.de/intl/si/akg_k_712_pro.htm
Go MuLab!

Some time ago I was demoing this plugin, https://www.kvraudio.com/product/spectr ... t-approach, tried it on few of my rough headphone (Superlux HD681) mixes and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome, mixes were ideally balanced, so at that point I decided that I don't need that plugin or plugins of that kind or new set of cans, also that I'm gonna trust my ears more from now on. (Note, I'm not fan of mixing solely on headphones and I check everything on few systems, but I like to start of on cans).

Behringer U-Phoria HD series (202 or 204) should have MIDAS preamps, so I would definitely recommend them.

Superlux are great, for the price. Quite crappy build quality though, as you would expect from such a low price. :D I have the HD-688B, and, the plastic strap already broke in 2 places (not a problem, as it's also held by a metal strap), and, on the left speaker, there's something broken as well, which only can be heard on very loud parts in the music though. All in all, for the price, i would buy again, but, you have to consider that they're definitely not built like a tank.

I guess i would buy these: https://www.thomann.de/de/superlux_hd_681_evo_bk.htm Actually, maybe i'll treat myself with those for christmas. :)

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:55 pm Some time ago I was demoing this plugin, https://www.kvraudio.com/product/spectr ... t-approach, tried it on few of my rough headphone (Superlux HD681) mixes and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome, mixes were ideally balanced, so at that point I decided that I don't need that plugin or plugins of that kind or new set of cans, also that I'm gonna trust my ears more from now on. (Note, I'm not fan of mixing solely on headphones and I check everything on few systems, but I like to start of on cans).

Behringer U-Phoria HD series (202 or 204) should have MIDAS preamps, so I would definitely recommend them.
Thanks! I have looked at that plugin before but forgotten about it. :wink: Must try it again. Also, I use Tonal Balance Control of Izotope, which is also supposed to get a good overall balance - at least that's the idea... Maybe I could trust my ears if I use both plugins.

The Behringer: news to me, but the reviews seem very promising! And the price is awesome of course. Still, I couldn't find out whether I would need a separate headphones amp for accuracy. Hmmmm.... :)
Go MuLab!

chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:00 pm Superlux are great, for the price. Quite crappy build quality though, as you would expect from such a low price. :D I have the HD-688B, and, the plastic strap already broke in 2 places (not a problem, as it's also held by a metal strap), and, on the left speaker, there's something broken as well, which only can be heard on very loud parts in the music though. All in all, for the price, i would buy again, but, you have to consider that they're definitely not built like a tank.
Had different experience with mine (681), they are falling at least few times a week and nothing, still solid.

Good stuff. :tu:

Actually, i just ordered the HD-681 Evo's... curious how they compare with the HD-688, but, i guess they're equally good. :)

Awesome, hope they serve you good. :phones:

chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:00 pm Superlux are great, for the price. Quite crappy build quality though, as you would expect from such a low price. :D I have the HD-688B, and, the plastic strap already broke in 2 places (not a problem, as it's also held by a metal strap), and, on the left speaker, there's something broken as well, which only can be heard on very loud parts in the music though. All in all, for the price, i would buy again, but, you have to consider that they're definitely not built like a tank.

I guess i would buy these: https://www.thomann.de/de/superlux_hd_681_evo_bk.htm Actually, maybe i'll treat myself with those for christmas. :)
oh yeah, you can't beat the price. 4 pairs cost me as much as a single pair of AKG's would - for monitoring live recordings. no brainer, because every liveroom headphones breaks sooner or later anyway. :D And the sound is really, good enough!

@Passing Bye: Thanks, i'm sure they will. :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”