put melodies into piano roll.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FL Studio All Plugins Edition

It is hard for me to turn melodies in my head into piano roll section.And I don't know the solution for this problem, maybe there's a technique, but I don't know.

OussaBer wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:15 am It is hard for me to turn melodies in my head into piano roll section.And I don't know the solution for this problem, maybe there's a technique, but I don't know.
I'm sure there are audio-to-midi solutions. However, maybe try to overcome the difficulties you are having, somehow. What is the main obstruction between the melody in your head and the screen?

Also, do you have a midi keyboard? Nothing wrong with piano-roll writing, but you might find that it is much quicker to translate ideas to actual music with the immediacy of a keyboard.

Try to whistle, then use some audio-to-midi converter. Such as the one built into Ableton.

Otherwise, it's pretty much unsolved issue everyone struggles with. :shrug:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:22 am
OussaBer wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:15 am It is hard for me to turn melodies in my head into piano roll section.And I don't know the solution for this problem, maybe there's a technique, but I don't know.
I'm sure there are audio-to-midi solutions. However, maybe try to overcome the difficulties you are having, somehow. What is the main obstruction between the melody in your head and the screen?

Also, do you have a midi keyboard? Nothing wrong with piano-roll writing, but you might find that it is much quicker to translate ideas to actual music with the immediacy of a keyboard.
And if I found the melody how can I find the exact chords for it ?

OussaBer wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:33 am

There are no "exact" chords. There are many options/permutations that can be underpin notes in a melody line. You could take the time to learn music theory, or buy a midi keyboard that has enough octaves to let you experiment with chords and melodies at the same time. Actually, better to do both :tu:

Spontaneity, like improvisational jazz. Just make it rhyme.

Based on what you have said above, I would suggest two things:

1. Get a MIDI keyboard so you can play the notes
2. Learn music theory - that’s how you can determine the chords that should fit to a melody, although as others have suggested, you can always experiment and see what sounds good to your ear

Learn to play an instrument, and some music theory. That'll do it ...

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:45 am
OussaBer wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:33 am
OussaBer wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:15 am It is hard for me to turn melodies in my head into piano roll section. And I don't know the solution for this problem, maybe there's a technique, but I don't know.

There are no "exact" chords. There are many options/permutations that can be underpin notes in a melody line. You could take the time to learn music theory, or buy a midi keyboard that has enough octaves to let you experiment with chords and melodies at the same time. Actually, better to do both :tu:
Thanks a lot, and one more thing. What is the best way to learn music theory ?

OussaBer wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:13 pmWhat is the best way to learn music theory ?
The best way is the way you find to be the best. Some people learn better on their own with a book. Others will prefer to be in a group/classroom setting. Some will do fine with internet websites and Youtube videos, and others will prefer to pay for a video tutorial course from somewhere like Udemy, AskAudio or Groove3. It all depends on your preference, financial situation and dedication.

You also need to decide whether you want to get a full foundation, from square one, or whether you are only interested in certain aspects of theory.

There's also a forum, here on KVR, dedicated to music theory, although I'm not sure I'd recommend it :scared:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:24 pm There's also a forum, here on KVR, dedicated to music theory, although I'm not sure I'd recommend it :scared:
I appreciate your help, and I want to thank you one more time. That was really helpful.

OussaBer wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:37 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:24 pm There's also a forum, here on KVR, dedicated to music theory, although I'm not sure I'd recommend it :scared:
I appreciate your help, and I want to thank you one more time. That was really helpful.
You're welcome! Any other questions, just ask :tu:

Interesting that no one mentioned ear training or transcribing!

I find it very easy to write down melodies that I have in my head, and I don't have a midi keyboard or very deep music theory knowledge.
It's easy for me because I learned to play electric guitar and got into the habit of transcribing guitar solos: listening to every single note, figuring it out, writing it down and making sure it sounds right when I play it.

That's the sort of training that will eventually make your hearing more precise, you'll be able to detect more details and subtleties, and will rely much less on having to "guess notes".
In the beginning, using already transcribed material to double-check will help out a lot (tons of guitar tabs everywhere, varying quality though!), but you'll resort to that much less as your skill develops over time.

Writing down melodies you can hear in your head is basically the same process, and at some point that will be like riding a bike. As a side effect (at least for me) simply having that skill also makes it much more enjoyable to listen to music! :)

That being said, a midi keyboard (or any applicable instrument) will be extremely useful to learn that skill due to its immediacy.
At some point listening to different styles is also useful. Choice of notes depends on that a lot, and ideally you don't want your hearing to be biased by that too much :D

Oh, I understand. And yes that's important too, lot of producers like Martin Garrix rely on their hearing. Your answer was very interesting. Thank you for your time, that was really helpful.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”