Can someone identify this microphone ?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, can someone help identify this microphone.. It was used by an old 80's rock band from Germany or Switzerland. I've Googled the hell of images and can't for the life of me find it anywhere ! At first I thought it was a Neumann or Gefell, but the body looks like a Shure and the capsule cover appears to be angled or cone shaped. Not sure if that's because of the angle of photo, but I don't think so..
-->
what-is-this-mic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

looks very much like a u87 from the side

you can even see a portion of the square neumann logo at the bottom of your pic.
Last edited by Ploki on Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by jp008 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ploki wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:32 am looks very much like a u87 from the side

you can even see a portion of the square neumann logo at the bottom of your pic.
Isn't it a bit too thin and angled at the plug end to be a Neumann ? The one in your picture looks too fat.

jp008 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:36 am
Ploki wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:32 am looks very much like a u87 from the side

Isn't it a bit too thin and angled at the plug end to be a Neumann ? The one in your picture looks too fat.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... juYk3lC9uT
don't think so. you can even see the squarish logo.
it's a neumann alright, could be the smaller cousin u89.

side of u89 from thomann Image

I believe you're correct. Thank you !

The real question is: can you afford one? :neutral:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:27 pm The real question is: can you afford one? :neutral:
Don't need to. There's a few well known clones that are almost an exact ripoff of the U87. All it takes is a few component upgrades and bit of soldering skills. :idea: :wink:

Regardless, anyone who pays 2-3k for a microphone in 2019 is either very wealthy.. or an idiot. My opinion.

And anyone that goes shopping for a mic, solely based on a photo made 35 years ago is not an idiot?? :nutter:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

jp008 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:07 pm
Regardless, anyone who pays 2-3k for a microphone in 2019 is either very wealthy.. or an idiot. My opinion.
Dunno, used a C12VR on a session a few weeks ago and it had something other cheaper mics didn't.

BertKoor wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:13 pm And anyone that goes shopping for a mic, solely based on a photo made 35 years ago is not an idiot?? :nutter:
Who said I was shopping?

Ploki wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:59 am Dunno, used a C12VR on a session a few weeks ago and it had something other cheaper mics didn't.
And what was it that it had ?

jp008 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:43 pm
Ploki wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:59 am Dunno, used a C12VR on a session a few weeks ago and it had something other cheaper mics didn't.
And what was it that it had ?
finesse
I had an sE Gemini and Oktava MK012 next to it, and it wasn't even a competition.
However, it's super expensive, i wan't to try it next to a clone. (this one is borrowed from a friend)

they can have a certain sound but not if you are plugging it in to your focusrite scarlett in an untreated room through budget monitors...

to get the full effect you will want equally illustrious preamps and output.
so id imagine the people spending that much on a mic, have business concerns maybe. where it's good to have a selection of top of the range equipment, as selling points for your studio.

for hobbyists, yeah, maybe a lottery winner who had run out of space for speedboats :shrug:

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”