What DAW is the best video editor?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

Yes, go buy Logic X

DaVinci Resolve is a video editor with a built in DAW (Fairlight). That's the only program I know that is both.

PeterP_swe wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:29 am DaVinci Resolve is a video editor with a built in DAW (Fairlight). That's the only program I know that is both.
+1 :tu:

Important to mention that there is a fully functional version available for FREE! The full pro-version, which is actually not that expensive (I do have a pro license myself) has some high-end options that you really don't need for basic Youtube stuff.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

ZGameEditor Visualizer in FL Studio can do some really funky stuff. My biggest issue with it is that creating a fully fledged video isn't that easy if you want different scenes etc. While it's possible, at some point you're liable to get very, very lost.

What I found much more effective is to use ZGameEditor Visualizer to generate smaller snippets that I then stitched together in video editing software. The advantage I see in using ZGameEditor is that is allows you to use the song's MIDI data or audio files to influence the visualizer's output. So you can link velocity to ZGameEditor's parameter, or play around with the controller's in FL Studio (e.g. keyboard/envelope/peak controller) to control parameters. It's a great way of syncing the visuals to the music.

You can also load videos in ZGameEditor and then apply effects to that video. I used this to load a video and then applied the fractal visualizer to that video (and linking parameters to the BPM or something similar to make them increase and decrease in time with the music).

On top of that, rendering video with ZGame is extremely quick. If you apply effects in something like Vegas, rendering out the video takes an eternity.

You can see a proof of concept I made a while back here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0hkFx_HW7E

The thumbnail image is a painting done by my wife with one of the visualizers applied to it. In motion I find it looks really quite cool.

95% of the effects are from ZGameEditor, though I did apply a little bit of stuff in Vegas and have also played around with the opacity in Vegas, so that multiple videos rendered in FL Studio are layered at times.

It's really easy to create very boring videos in FL Studio - things like having a graphical EQ bounce along to your track. If that's all you need, it's about 10 seconds to set up and a few minutes to render.

If you are planning on doing "proper" video editing, you are not going to get around using video editing software though. Vegas semi-regularly goes on sale; I picked it up as part of the Humble Bundle for ~$20. Admittedly it was a slightly older version of Vegas, but it more than meets my needs. And as posted above, there are free options out there too.

As a side note, I actually used Camtasia to create an animated music video. I wouldn't suggest buying it for that purpose, as it's not really designed for that. But with a bit of creative thought, you can do quite a lot with it too. I'll not post that video because it might be viewed as incendiary, but if you want to, you can check it out on YT too.

You can do quite a lot in REAPER for video editing. I made a course on it here
https://reaperblog.net/course/reaperblog-video-tools/
⬆ Jon from The REAPER Blog

DaVinci Resolve

If you work with FL Studio I have to back ZGameEditor Visualizer, as after an update it became a decently competent video maker, mainly if you only need a visualizer, as those can get hard to come by for some video editing software like Sony Vegas and you don't really need any experience to use it.

But, I called it a maker, as it's not really a video editor and is quite limited. To actually learn how to edit videos, I would really recommend trying out a proper piece of software, like Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere/After Effects or DaVinci Resolve.
Take care :wink:

Vegas

Ariumath wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:08 pm DaVinci Resolve

Second this^^

Saw you can even use FL Studio with Davinci Resolve to control audio since FL Studio works like a plugin. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e_lbKw1g-wA

you will find vegas pro and movie studio far easier to pickup than davinci resolve. I suggest getting a trial version of one of them and seeing what you think, movie studio really isnt expensive.

Resolve and adobe premiere will be more capable in the long run though, and resolve is free as well.

Can y'all try and recognise that this thread, from October 2019, is just getting repeatedly necro'd, and suggestions to the OP are pretty bloody pointless by now.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I dunno, 9 months is hardly a necro by KVR standards.... and I found one suggestion useful....

LogicPro for sure..

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”