Nearfield Monitors

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently got an Edifier S350DB system. They are marketed as computer speakers. I did a mix on them and was surprised. It translated better than the same mix done my Presonus E8s which I do not recommend.

codec_spurt wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:59 pm
...so okay, it would be a crime to quote your post since it's so LOOOOONG but I'd just like to say, it's full of wisdom... and shite :hihi:
I agree with you on the yammys. As I've said in another monitor thread, I'd personally stay away from anything from Yamaha for mastering purposes (great for finding faults in vocals though), because the highs are over exaggerated. ...Then again, some people seem to be used to it (or may have damaged their hearing to the extent that a little push in the trebles is suitable?) so YMMV.

If you have the money, I'd suggest the MTM's.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Yamaha MSP line is actually quite awesome and underrated, last one done by the legend Akira Nakamura (father of NS-10), discontinued too, you can still find it in stock in some stores tho, that's real deal from Yamaha for professional mixing near filed duties, not flattering consumer HS line made for "producers".

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:30 pm Yamaha MSP line is actually quite awesome and underrated, last one done by the legend Akira Nakamura (father of NS-10), discontinued too, you can still find it in stock in some stores tho, that's real deal from Yamaha for professional mixing near filed duties, not flattering consumer HS line made for "producers".
And you don't find them harsh?

Just to be clear: Yamaha does many products for the professional market, it's just that they really like those highs. :) Just listen to a Yamaha grand.

I haven't mixed on the MSP line though.
Go MuLab!

I appreciate revealing mixing monitors for actual mixing and don't mind harsh hi end that much in that instance, but YMMV.

i am also in the search for some monitors. Considering yamaha 7 or 8s, Adam t7v, presonus eris 8s, kalis,

CharlieCrizzle wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:49 pm i am also in the search for some monitors. Considering yamaha 7 or 8s, Adam t7v, presonus eris 8s, kalis,
I will second my recommendation from other thread
Passing Bye wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:37 am On the budget check out Fluid Audio FX8 (FX80 should be out soon) and Kali Audio LP-8, than for little more definitely check out ESI uniK 08+ and Presonus R80 (there's new Kali IN-8, need to check them out myself), if you can afford, Presonus Sceptre S8.
Except Kali's, all very underrated and fantastic boxes, can't go wrong with either.

My room is 13ftx14ftx8ft would I need 8's or is that too much?

CharlieCrizzle wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:35 am My room is 13ftx14ftx8ft would I need 8's or is that too much?
That room isn't ideal, I would go for 5-6" max, there's smaller models of everything I recommended, what's your budget?

Anyways, sincerely, you can treat that room plenty and still have issues with low end, personally, I would go for smaller monitors in conjunction with good headphones for checking low end and if budget allows another pair of monitors... so if you just want to make some noise in spare time and have fun without breaking a bank, iLoud Micro is just the ticket, if you are also focused on mixing and production aspect, than I would add Yamaha MSP-5's (second hand, around 300 bucks) and even Behringer C5A.

So you would creative and get things going on either iLoud's or headphones, than when you are ready for mixing, switch between MSP's, C5A's and headphones, that would make most of it, having fun with music making on enjoyable speaker or headphones, than go mixing with more revealing ones...you can go all in with one pair, but I would personally vibe more with one pair for creative part and another for surgical, YMMV.

Passing Bye wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:45 am
CharlieCrizzle wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:35 am My room is 13ftx14ftx8ft would I need 8's or is that too much?
Anyways, sincerely, you can treat that room plenty and still have issues with low end, personally, I would go for smaller monitors in conjunction with good headphones for checking low end and if budget allows another pair of monitors... so if you just want to make some noise in spare time and have fun without breaking a bank, iLoud Micro is just the ticket, if you are also focused on mixing and production aspect, than I would add Yamaha MSP-5's (second hand, around 300 bucks) and even Behringer C5A.

So you would creative and get things going on either iLoud's or headphones, than when you are ready for mixing, switch between MSP's, C5A's and headphones, that would make most of it, having fun with music making on enjoyable speaker or headphones, than go mixing with more revealing ones...you can go all in with one pair, but I would personally vibe more with one pair for creative part and another for surgical, YMMV.
I don't want this to go too off-topic, but what headphones do you have in mind? The big issue with mixing on headphones in my opinion is that it's hard to judge treble/bass balance, and that they are usually off (most are exaggerating bass, but there is also the other end of the spectrum).
Go MuLab!

I wouldn’t mix on cans tho, just for the creative enjoyment and another reference.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:54 am I wouldn’t mix on cans tho, just for the creative enjoyment and another reference.
Well - Sometimes I need to mix/master late at night, and that gets problematic if I disturb the other people living around me. In this case I have no other choice than to use headgear.

Lucky enough there is a solution for the "can't use cans" problem. I personally use the ToneBoosters Isone 3 plugin in combination with the KRK KNS-6400 headphones. If you take the time to configure this plugin the right way, you can get really good results. It comes very close to mixing/mastering on nearfield monitors. Sadly enough this plugin is no longer sold single, but only as a part of an complete bundle (BusTools 3). That said - This bundle has some really good other plugins (Barricade, ReelBus, BusCompressor, Evoke, Sibalance and more), so it's worth the money.

I like to check my mix on different systems before calling a day, luckily enough I never had so quick deadline so I needed to do everything in one go on one system.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”