Hardware vst hosts?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Whatever happened to hardware vst hosts, like the muse receptor, v-machine and several others?

The muse receptor was perfect, for stage use, but seems no longer available..

Are there any options left with 2019 hardware?

I think most people just use laptops these days.

I think so too. Such hardware VST hosts never really took off.

Considering the complexity and quality of firmware in some keyboards now I can't imagine a company would be able to sell something like that anymore.

Reefius wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:31 pm I think most people just use laptops these days.
Yes, i asume they do...

But still a good vst host that works like a hardware module is hard to find...

I.e. A unit where i can assign any sound i want to a midi bank/program change..

Toets wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:43 pm But still a good vst host that works like a hardware module is hard to find...

I think you haven't taken a good enough look at the hardware on the market these days.

Looking at the ancient receptor prices and the price of a twice as fast laptop in the same decade, just made me wonder how they could sell a single piece. It was just a linux computer buried inside a box without a screen, and even bigger and heavier than a laptop + interface...

Toets wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:53 pm Whatever happened to hardware vst hosts, like the muse receptor, v-machine and several others?
failed. too expensive, too much faff, too many incompatible plugins...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

The only one which did not fail is called iPad...

Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:06 pm
Toets wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:43 pm But still a good vst host that works like a hardware module is hard to find...

I think you haven't taken a good enough look at the hardware on the market these days.
Please enlighten me what did i miss?

- there is an analogue revival, well but then there allways is..
- korg and Roland are moving to smaller devices..
-the big hardware workstation market seems dead, only the kronos is still alive.
- software developers, recognise how hardware developers fail in making crossovers between hardware and software and have started developing keyboards and controllers for studio and live use

Where it comes to running VST’s in traditional hardware..
And thats where this post is all about..
There isn’t happening much..
There are 2 german organ builders Wersi and Bohm
They have instruments that allow you to laod VST’s..

Now i can live with requiring a pc or mac(book)
But where is that piece of software that turns my pc into just a simple soundmodule
Which i can use from keys?

Solutions like NI komplete kontrol are entirely build with the studio in mind
Its not even simple to just layer and split some sounds over the keyboard..
It requires a sepperate DAW to do this...

Now please tell me what i missed, because thats why i posted here..
But then you said, i missed some things..
So maybe you could tell us here what i missed?

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:20 am The only one which did not fail is called iPad...
The ipad is incredible...
It is intuitive and offers a huge seelction of tools for live use..
Its very much like a modular box in my experience

However, it does not run my favorite soundsources
- omnisphere
- kontakt
- u-he diva zebra hive
- and some more..

I got that last Macbook Air 11”, its about the size of a bigger iPad and would run all those. I heard good things about Surface Pros...

Toets wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:57 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Please enlighten me what did i miss?
Take a look at samplers and wavetable synths - there's a ton of incredibly powerful hardware out there that will let you play whatever you want and allow you to quickly change sounds on the fly.

I haven't tried it myself, but isn't the Akai VIP software designed specifically for loading up plugins/effects directly for live control with hardware?

https://www.akaipro.com/vip

Also on Mac there is Mainstage, a steal price wise, as you get all their synths for 30 bucks. I have seen a lot of acts which just run their complete rig on Mainstage...
There are Win options for controlling a set purely with a master keyboard as well...

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”