is 8GB enough not to get audio crackling?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Balanced settings will set the clock frequency lower when there's not much to do. When CPU demand gets high enough, the clock frequency will switch to it's maximum. This cannot be done instantly, but takes a short while, causing your audio process to freeze. Long enough for a buffer underrun --> CLICK!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

i have 16 gigs of RAM & a 6-core 3.5Ghz AMD CPU and i still max out my power all the time, and have to freeze tracks a lot. also, some plugins aren't very good at spreading themselves across multiple cores (like Maschine, for example)
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

rubez wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:45 pm looks like power settings. i set it from balanced to high performance and problem disappears.

thanks pictus for the link :D
You are welcome, but the right one is ULTIMATE, not high. :D

ultimate :o :hihi:

i only have balanced, power saver and high performance.

rubez wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:33 pm ultimate :o :hihi:

i only have balanced, power saver and high performance.
https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-t ... indows-10/

Edit, I didn't read far enough :oops:
Last edited by reggie1979 on Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's difficult to answer the question as you're really asking if you can get a variable amount of something in a fixed size container. The answer is going to be based on how much of the RAM you will be using.

Light use? Pretty much a certainty you will be good.
Moderate? Could have problems, hard to say.
Heavy use? More likely, but can't say for sure.

Overall I think you are more capable of answering the question than anyone else as you are the one controlling how much you will tax the RAM. The advice about optimization above is good too, as that's going make a difference to performance.

reggie1979 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:33 pm
Pictus wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:28 pm
rubez wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:45 pm looks like power settings. i set it from balanced to high performance and problem disappears.

thanks pictus for the link :D
You are welcome, but the right one is ULTIMATE, not high. :D
Wait a minute, I don't see this one mine :shrug: High performance is as good as it gets.
Ultimate is AMD Ryzen only, i think.

That doesn't mean that Ryzen's have the ultimate performance, it just means that AMD needs a special treatment again. Hehe.

chk071 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:10 pm
Ultimate is AMD Ryzen only, i think.
It's for all cpus, MS just made it hard to turn on.
See my previous post.

Yes, I imagine the majority of us do as it's the most quoted fix these days.

Windows power saving is all about slowing down and/or using fewer cores whilst shutting down anything it considers excessive at a given time in order to conserve that power. If you kick it into high-performance mode then it won't do that and it ensures that the load is spread better between all the available cores.

Question: If I'm already getting really good performance, is there anything "ultimate" will do that is noticeable?

reggie1979 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:03 pm Question: If I'm already getting really good performance, is there anything "ultimate" will do that is noticeable?
I have no idea...
Anyway, check viewtopic.php?p=7432203#p7432203

reggie1979 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:03 pm Question: If I'm already getting really good performance, is there anything "ultimate" will do that is noticeable?
You might notice your fans will run at full speed all the time :-P
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

rubez wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:57 pm does anyone know what exactly within the balanced settings causing the crackles?

do you all sit on high performance mode permanently?
Most likely the CPU speed settings. Variable CPU speed and audio processing don't go well together.

I edited my "Balanced (Recommended)" power plan to the highest performance settings available. That way even if a Windows update ever messes with my selection, the default will always be high performance. I set my CPU to 100% Min/Max, and disabled all power saving features.

Avoid using Intel SpeedStep (CPU throttling technology). Some of this may need to be adjusted in the BIOS. I'm not familiar with AMD, but there are probably similar features such as AMD's Cool'n'Quiet & PowerNow! technology.

For real-time audio, CPU clock frequency will always trump the # of cores/threads. Best to have plenty of each, but always choose clock speed first!

Also make sure your CPU is staying cool, because some CPU's can throttle down if they get too hot.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”