Help with choosing midi controller and vsts please!

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'll keep this short.

Genres I'm into: Pop, hip-hop, rap and edm

Budget: 1000 euro

I own Ableton live 10 and am debating a Push 2 or KK s61.

I'm not big on sound design yet, I prefer to tweak presets. (I would like Nexus 2 but it's too expensive)

Should I buy Push 2 and serum/sylenth1 and then buy user made presets from vandalism and loopmasters - 800 euro

Should I buy KK s61 and Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors edition - 1000 euro

I'm also open to other suggestions.

P.S. I'm not trained in piano but I'm learning music theory and it's mainly explained on the piano.

Komplete 12 is heavily discounted when purchasing a midi keyboard with it

I came here looking for vst experts!

I don‘t know why you think nexus is to expensive...
Before you get Komplete ultimate, get just Komplete, it will keep you busy for 2 years to explore all the sounds you can upgrade later and if you wait for a sale you can keep enough of your budget to get nexus on top...
I don‘t recommend keyboards anymore, I am too much into expressive controllers like Seaboard, LinnStrument and such...

I've run the gambit with Komplete. Starting with K9, upgrading to KU9, and again to KU10. Then KU11. Which really gave me the experience in realizing how little of it was usable for me. Sold it all, then got K12 (downgraded?) on the upgrade to Maschine 2.
These last few months have almost convinced me how little I actually use from it. Downgrading to the standard from ultimate has proven more beneficial and even half of that, I no longer bother even installing.
If you're convinced that NI is something for you, start with the Free player downloads. (Kontakt Plyr; Reaktor Plyr; Guitar Rig Plyr.)
Komplete and Nexus both have a way of becoming a "barnacle" that requires "skin" to completely remove them.
As far as controllers, I prefer my Studiologic (similar keybed + triple sensors @ half the price). Or even Arturia, which also gives you more onboard control & drum pads.
VSTs I use mostly now are Pianoteq; Zebra HZ; HALion; (& Alchemy 1). Also find Analoglab, when I treat it as an organ first, is pretty good. But as just synths, always end up going back to my U-he synths.

For hip-hop and EDM Push is a suitable option with its loop-based workflow and sample support. You don't really need a keyboard unless you're an instrumentalist.

Or get Maschine to have best of both worlds ;)
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”