How to balance Kick, Snare, Hats, Bass, Synths, Vox, etc ? please help....

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mjudge55 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:27 pm My humble advice is to go back to your arrangement. Without any eq, compression, or shenanigans, it should sound 90% “there” just by setting levels and pan. If it doesn’t, your parts aren’t complimenting each other, either where they land in time, what notes they are, what frequency range they’re in, or the space they take up in the stereo field. More basically, does the tune resonate emotionally and aesthetically? Be honest with yourself about that, you can’t fix it in the mix.
Great advice! :clap:

Even experienced composers/producers do not always take these aspects into account.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

That's a pretty great advice! I've been focusing my efforts on learning arrangement lately, but I couldn't find any specific material on the internet. Would you mind recommending some stuff about arranging for popular music in general? I ended up subscribing to an orchestral arrangemente course to get the general idea.

Thank you! :)
mjudge55 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:28 pm
Also, I repeat: Arrangement. Don't put the cart before the horse.

xandde1 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:45 am Would you mind recommending some stuff about arranging for popular music in general?
This one takes you through a whole piece: https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2018/06/1 ... d-cheated/
It may not be a Pop song as such but ideas are all the same.

This is a written breakdown based on some Pop songs: https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2014/05/1 ... le-theory/

:-)

xandde1 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:45 am That's a pretty great advice! I've been focusing my efforts on learning arrangement lately, but I couldn't find any specific material on the internet. Would you mind recommending some stuff about arranging for popular music in general? I ended up subscribing to an orchestral arrangemente course to get the general idea.

mjudge55 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:28 pm
Also, I repeat: Arrangement. Don't put the cart before the horse.
It's a huge subject. I've been reading a book called How Music Really Works and the section on harmony has been great for understanding chord progressions in popular music (jazz standards, blues, country, R&B, rock, etc.). It may be a little dumbed down for some folks here but for me it works.

In case OP is still reading I hope that doesn't make me sound like I don't get his genre and the advice about arrangement is inapplicable -- I'm heavily into non-pop styles where e.g. verse/chorus/verse isn't the thing. But arrangement is still definitely, definitely critical for those too -- it just doesn't have the sort of codification that pop does

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”