How to balance Kick, Snare, Hats, Bass, Synths, Vox, etc ? please help....

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deastman wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:01 am You sound pretty lazy to me. Mixing is a skill which some professionals dedicate their entire careers to. You’re complaining that there should be a big red Easy button to do it for you. Why do you assume that an area of expertise which you apparently know nothing about should be easily replaced by automated algorithms? This is half science and half art. You need to learn the techniques and their proper execution, and then you need to employ them creatively to make aesthetic decisions. Either learn the craft, have someone else do it for you, or accept that maybe this just isn’t for you.
I'm ALL about learning, but what you suggest is pointless, where did you help in this whole post ?
I can also criticize till the world ends, but that won't help the matter and I'm yet to see a single solution, suggestion for some Plugs, something....

it's NOT a skill, but a set of Tools everybody use but no one wanna talk about....
I thought music was about creativity,
obviously it's far from that judging by some of the ridiculous comments in here .

olevish wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:43 am it's NOT a skill, but a set of Tools everybody use but no one wanna talk about....
Actually, it IS a skill to know how to use the Tools (that everybody use), and everyone here is talking about exactly that. There is no silver bullet solution, no magical preset in this or that plugin, that will do the mixing for you. Mixing is 'skill', not 'specific presets' or 'specific plugins'.

As was mentioned already, search YouTube for 'mixing tips', watch a few tutorial videos and you might get a feel for what's actually involved in the process.

It's not a secret and YT is filled with professionals that are sharing their knowledge for free. So basically EVERYONE wanna talk about it, even if it is not what you want to hear :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

deastman wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:01 am You sound pretty lazy to me. Mixing is a skill which some professionals dedicate their entire careers to. You’re complaining that there should be a big red Easy button to do it for you. Why do you assume that an area of expertise which you apparently know nothing about should be easily replaced by automated algorithms? This is half science and half art. You need to learn the techniques and their proper execution, and then you need to employ them creatively to make aesthetic decisions. Either learn the craft, have someone else do it for you, or accept that maybe this just isn’t for you.
Of course everything above is 100% right. Only someone with zero knowledge could think that mixing isn't a skill.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Take two snare drums; are they identical? No
Take two kick drums; are they identical? No
Apply each kick to each snare and you already have 4 variants. Given there are an infinite amount of kicks and snares, not to mention infinite amount of basslines, hats etc., how can software be programmed for this? This is even before considering which sound the artist would like to take priority.

How can the above be anything other than a skill?!
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

olevish wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:43 am
I'm ALL about learning, but what you suggest is pointless, where did you help in this whole post ?
I can also criticize till the world ends, but that won't help the matter and I'm yet to see a single solution, suggestion for some Plugs, something....

it's NOT a skill, but a set of Tools everybody use but no one wanna talk about....
obviously it's far from that judging by some of the ridiculous comments in here .
Are you serious!!! think famous American tennis player voice and attitude.
If you read earlier... I started recording bands in 1967... It was not until 1976/77 I got proper paid work..
In 1978, I was in a position to get 2 MIDAS live mixing console...
I spent the intervening years going around pups and other live venues recording bands and mixing... (4 track Dekorder) recording for free and hoping to sell the tape... I got good enough that bands would then pay me to mix important gigs.
Guess what.. we had no compressors... no ffing magic preset...
It was ears, experience to develop SKILL.

I'm not about to argue with any of you, I asked a simple question, yet everyone took it to brag about their past instead . only a user Passing Bye gave me a specific suggestion fyi !!! none of you did....

And no, it's NOT different settings for different music, ALL Rock songs mixed the same = template, ALL House Music follows the SAME principal every single time, so don't tell me there's no Red fix-it-all button, if there isn't then how come they ALL sound as if made in the same box ? like I said - everyone play stupid here and simply don't wanna talk about it, fine, ALL you professional people, how come you're on Getting Started section, let newbies answer me, cool ? I rest my case and I realize it's rude to some, but I didn't start all this silly attack .

olevish wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:43 am it's NOT a skill, but a set of Tools everybody use but no one wanna talk about....
You had some good answers and I even walked you through how to use one of those tools to remove resonances - which is a vital first step to a clear mix.

When it comes to mixing, your "bread and butter" tools are EQ, compression and reverb. Once you understand how those work, you can start to get creative with your mixing.

If mixing really doesn't appeal to you - maybe you prefer performance and actual playing of instruments - then maybe find someone who enjoys the technical side of audio production to collaborate with and cover those bases.

EDIT:
olevish wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:09 am I'm not about to argue with any of you, I asked a simple question, yet everyone took it to brag about their past instead . only a user Passing Bye gave me a specific suggestion fyi !!! none of you did....

And no, it's NOT different settings for different music, ALL Rock songs mixed the same = template, ALL House Music follows the SAME principal every single time, so don't tell me there's no Red fix-it-all button, if there isn't then how come they ALL sound as if made in the same box ? like I said - everyone play stupid here and simply don't wanna talk about it, fine, ALL you professional people, how come you're on Getting Started section, let newbies answer me, cool ? I rest my case and I realize it's rude to some, but I didn't start all this silly attack .
Well. I'd be surprised if you can find anyone to collaborate if you present yourself in this way. You really don't seem to listen to music so I'm not sure why you would want to work with it. :shrug:
Last edited by Unaspected on Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Another tip is to leave enough headroom.

Keep an eye on the master bus and make sure it's not getting over..say 6db or so.

That way you'll have some room left in the mastering.

Another good thing is to cut off everything below 20hz. It' snot audible anyway. If you don't and if there's no headroom left you'll have a bad sound (like in an old bad radio or something) in the final mastering.

Also, consider using the panning feature. Everything doesn't have to be crowded in the center. You could, for example, spread out the cymbals a bit to the sides if they're recorded in stereo.

Another good,k and perhaps important, tip is to listen to your mix in different monitors.

How does the mix sound in your car, mobile phone, computer, headphones, TV, or in a club. It can vary quite a lot.

olevish wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:09 am And no, it's NOT different settings for different music, ALL Rock songs mixed the same = template, ALL House Music follows the SAME principal every single time, so don't tell me there's no Red fix-it-all button, if there isn't then how come they ALL sound as if made in the same box ?
Seriously ? :dog:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

^ Sssssh don’t tell him the button is actually green.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:44 am ^ Sssssh don’t tell him the button is actually green.
Goddamn it! No wonder my mixes are crap. I'm colour blind and I could of sworn it was yellow :dog:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

jethrobull wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:50 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:44 am ^ Sssssh don’t tell him the button is actually green.
Goddamn it! No wonder my mixes are crap. I'm colour blind and I could of sworn it was yellow :dog:
That was the beta version. Since 1.0 it’s green. Contact the developer and they should send you the update.

olevish wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:09 am I'm not about to argue with any of you, I asked a simple question, yet everyone took it to brag about their past instead . only a user Passing Bye gave me a specific suggestion fyi !!! none of you did....

kmn

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:56 am
jethrobull wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:50 am
That was the beta version. Since 1.0 it’s green. Contact the developer and they should send you the update.
Ah nice one! Thanks for the heads up :hihi:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

:tu:

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”