Rebuilding home-studio setup from scratch

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone,

I am new here, a Gearslutz/Muffwiggler refugee. Those are the main places that pop up when you look for any gear information. Ever since I started searching for info regarding the LinnStrument I've seen KVR pop up frequently with Mr. Linn participating himself. I figured I'd leave those two behind and join here. When I'd browse those sites my GAS would erupt spontaneously and the music would be completely on the back burner, which is the opposite of my real desire. I even put some things on credit which is against my rule. I got everything I had on deep discount though so I did not lose any money, the principle aggravates me however.

I've gone through dozens of synths the past 2 years, from polys, monos, semi-modulars, to trying out a full modular build... Keyboard/synth isn't even my main instrument, I've been a guitar player for 15+ years as well as having been band captain at school, and I played bassoon, saxophone and a few other instruments.

Anyways, any recommendations on what I should start with and add to my setup for sonic variety and a lot of utility, and taking very small steps from now on? My biggest influences are Tool, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Daft Punk, Emancipator, and Tipper I'd say. I like a weird fusion of hard rock, electronic, psychedelic and synthwave, sometimes funk. I barely listen to electronic music but it's what I like to produce (though I do love acoustic drums).

Right now, I don't think I have a necessity to perform live, most of the time I overdub sections, so drum machines are probably a no-go from me. I tried out the iPad in my adventures and it was pretty enjoyable overall, I think it would've paired nicely with the LinnStrument.

I just feel lost I guess, not sure if this type of post goes here. I just got rid of all my gear, my room is empty, it's both freeing and a burden at the same time. Lately I've felt like I'm not anywhere good enough to even produce electronic music and just give up, even though I have the musical background and even some theory in place. I've barely been practicing due to all the gear lust... There's so much gear out now it's hard to pinpoint what I should use.

My current setup has been reduced to : computer, Fender Strat, Studio One 4 Professional + a boat load of samples, PreSonus recording setup (PreSonus ATOM controller, audio interface and two monitors, headphones, and also some Sony monitors) and only a few VSTs (Serum, Korg VSTs, etc. no expensive or high-profile ones). And that's it. I'm selling the last of my hardware synths to restart and go slow (Roland SE-02 is last to go).

My main emphasis is, regardless of how complex the sound, a completely unique timbre overall, something easily identifiable. That is the type of music I am usually drawn to, be it simplistic or complex. I know that has a lot to do with recording, mixing and mastering but that's what I want.

Right now my current plan is to save up for a new guitar and a Kemper profiler... I've only owned one real guitar my whole life and it's the Fender I still use, it's about 12-13 years old, could use a bit of work, MIM Strat, I'd simply like an American made.

Let me know what you think if you managed to read this far down, I have a feeling the answer will be along the lines of don't buy anything for now, and if that's what you think I kind of feel the same.

Cheers!
Last edited by Divinital on Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nice to know where you're coming from. So where do you want to go?

Since you play guitar and mentioned the Linn, you might check out the Artiphon as well. Also some nice things are happening in the software available for wind controllers, as well as the new controllers. These things might at least build on your past experiences and still give you new directions to take them in.

As always start simply.

BBFG# wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:43 pm Nice to know where you're coming from. So where do you want to go?

Since you play guitar and mentioned the Linn, you might check out the Artiphon as well. Also some nice things are happening in the software available for wind controllers, as well as the new controllers. These things might at least build on your past experiences and still give you new directions to take them in.

As always start simply.
I can’t decide honestly. I like band music, as in music created by bands. I don’t listen to too much single producer music even though that’s what I aim to make. I did enjoy finger drumming on my DAW’s MIDI controller (PreSonus ATOM) as opposed to just creating sequencing and humanizing them. Perhaps I could consider an MPC but it’s all sample based again...

I suppose I should focus on real instruments and my playing again. As I said perhaps a new guitar and the Kemper profiler down the road and for now nothing. I haven’t owned an amp since high school and back then it was a cheap tube amp. From there practice and maybe very slowly acquire acoustic instruments like a didgeridoo, percussion, etc. I have maracas and bongos, I’m Cuban so it’s in my blood :)

My main problem it seems is rhythm and I can’t think of a solution. Give me a synth and I’ll make a melody/chord progression out of it, same with guitar, but drums... I hate having to use samples because I can’t individually vary them but it’s what I usually do. Maybe I should look into something that can provide me with acoustic drums, like that Nord Drum or something similar. I also went down the Elektron rabbit hole a year ago, not going back. Too much time sink for the result.

Edit : Sorry for the sporadic post/sentences... Caffeinenated pre-workout! All settled now...

So, I'm looking to redefine my guitar sound through a new guitar and the Kemper or possibly Line 6 Helix... Then I'd like to acquire more acoustic instruments to play with over time... and lastly I need to figure out the rhythm situation, be it getting an actual drum set (don't really have space), getting a Nord Drum or one of the Yamaha electronic drum samplers, or something I'm overlooking... Honestly the Roland TR-8S seems like a load of fun compared to when I had the Digitakt, although I did make decent music with the Digitakt but I'm not sure a drum machine is right for me.

Most importantly though, I want to keep it simple. Unless I can make a career from this, which is unlikely, I'd rather not dive so deep into gear ever again. I'd rather utilize software to its fullest potential and produce from there. I feel like I never earned the gear, I just started acquiring copious amounts due to uncontrolled desire. Honestly I probably made better music than ever when all I had was software, my guitar and a Moog Sub Phatty... The limitations really force you to get creative and pull potentials out. I don't get how Daft Punk does it. Such simple sounds overall but they're so good and timeless.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”