Which reverb and how to use it properly?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sfd wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:55 pm I'm not sure if I got what result you're trying to achieve.
id like to know more on how to apply reverb in the mix stage to get the best sound and the most control. Is it best to do it on individual channels or from a return track? In theory i think one or 2 reverbs on a return track and sent in different amounts would be best as it will create the same space? And if this is the best way then how do you sidechain all your individual channels to the same reverb?

Surely you dont want to use different types of reverb ( hall, plate, room etc... ) within the same track? or do you? i dont know

Sk1nZ wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:16 pm Is it best to do it on individual channels or from a return track? In theory i think one or 2 reverbs on a return track and sent in different amounts would be best as it will create the same space? And if this is the best way then how do you sidechain all your individual channels to the same reverb?

Surely you dont want to use different types of reverb ( hall, plate, room etc... ) within the same track? or do you? i dont know
Use whatever feels right to you, if you want to put things in same place, than easiest thing is to use same reverb returns, if you have specific place you want to put every element, use whatever type of reverb and configuration that works, there's no rules.

I personally barely use returns of same reverb on multiple elements, even if I do I copy reverb to the channel, than tweak it little further maybe, I use Bitwig and FXLayer channel container, every FXLayer have own Gain and Dry/Wet control, it's like dedicated effect channel strip in channel strip, I can chain and layer whole bunch of effects in it and than just add the amount I want, I don't bother with returns anymore, that changed my workflow entirely, maybe in other DAW I would use returns for the same cause, but in Bitwig I really have luxury to have everything there in same channel strip and go crazy with chaining and layering.

In the mixing stage it's late. So maybe use very little there yust so you don't really hear it. I usually have a reverb bus in the production stage. Drop everything texture/ambient in there, for me it's always a hall. You probably don't want to route any drums or leads through the thick reverb bus, so you may need another one that's more distant and has a sharper quality to it, maybe a plate if you like. That's mostly what I end up with. Two reverb busses, one in a very late stage for some of the drums.
But it's a creative process so you can't really fixate on stuff other than how you feel right doing it. I use simple methods to do things. It's a lot different from how virtual orchestra tracks are made.,

What reverb(s) did you decided to go for? and, in case you did, what harmonizer ?

For me Valhalla's plugins are pretty good.

Room for more modern sounds and Vintage for vintage inspired tracks!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... verb-pedal

I know, it's not software but I saw a guy demoing it on guitar and it was super beautiful. Sorry for the hijack.......

I'd say don't rule out the DAW ones. Ableton on High Quality is pretty decent...

WasteLand wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:37 am the IK Multimedia CSR reverbs are in my view very good. the plate works wonderful on vocals, for instance. strange that they aren't mentioned a lot, in fora.
the Native Instruments RC 24 & RC 48 are used a lot.

waves abbey roads chambers, already mentioned, and the abbey reverb plates, are also special.

the NOS audio roomer, not that known i think, has a great sound, small price at jrrshop, many algorithms.

i have more reverbs, all great, cherry picked.., i shall not mention them all, but especially the IKM ones do not the credit they could have.

o yes audiority Xenoverb, nice...

and for convulition reverb the waves IR 1 is great, get it when in a sale, get at $23 or so.. you can change reverb time, and early reflections, like a algorithmic reverb, to an extend.
I got the CSR and Waves reverbs myself. CSR is less computationally expensive which makes them great for bread and butter type of stuff, not that you can’t use them on “feature” instruments.

The Abbey Road plugins are much more intensive on the CPU and can often require a bit of work getting them to mesh with the mix, but that’s because it’s a model of the real deal. The early Abbey Road engineers would have to put in a bit of work to get the real deal to sit in a mix as well. That’s why there is an “Abbey Road Reverb Technique”. They’re great reverbs though, especially if want an authentic classic sound, for whatever reason.

The IR is also great when you want to give a sound an actual “space” as oppose to just a wash. It’s good if you want to give that Live sound or Studio album sound, amount other things. I inky wish they’d update it as the IR menu is a nightmare to navigate.

I’d have to mention the H-Reverb and bx_rooMS also being great sounding reverbs.

What’s more important here, though, isn’t the plugins or the brands, as there is so much good stuff out there these days. The more relevant thing to be talking about would be “types” of reverbs and what they’re good for.

Reverbs such as springs, plates, chambers, convolution, algorithmic, FIR, that sort of thing. There’s a whole hep of things people could be talking about here in terms of methodology and technique.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”