Which reverb and how to use it properly?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can i get some advice on choosing the best reverb as im not too confident on the different types yet, i make hard, fast dance music so will be using it on big sounds like supersaws, gritty bass etc... Currently using abletons standard reverb and it sounds tinny sometimes but not sure if thats down to me or the reverb

Also interested to hear on how you set a reverb on a big lead to get the best from it, i currently use it as a send, sidechained to the lead sound and with EQ but have trouble with decay times. Should you be using long decays which overlap into the next notes or short decays to just fill the spaces before the next note? Ive played around with this quite a bit and cant seem to get it to sound how i want but again this maybe down to abletons reverb? My tempo is anywhere from 140 - 180bpm and the melodys can be very quick so how do you set a reverb for this without it sounding a mess?

Budget would be around £50 ( $60 US ) new or used. Have just demo'd valhalla room and didnt really like it so im wondering if id be better with vintage, plate or something else?

Thanks

Try it yourself, get experience, and use what you think is appropriate. Anything else would be forced onto you, and, you won't learn anything either.

IMO, a good first reverb could be TB-Reverb-4. It's pretty versatile, and, it won't break the bank too.

I can make you a suggestion that you'll find perhaps stupid perhaps very clever :

Read a little number of these threads, listen carefully to the submissions which are made by the competitors, and read their posts when you like these submissions, because all the competitors must declare the effect plugins that they use for their submission.

Firstly you'll find that some effect plugins are very popular and some others are much more rare. And secondly you also will be able, that way, to hear what the plugin can do on a track when it is very well used. It is certainly the best solution to choose some excellent plugins for the most economic cost ever.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

I use Valhalla Room on a send. I also add an EQ and use it to band pass (remove low and high). Finally I add side chain. This is how you do it already. Some times I even added some stereo enhancement in order to get the big and wide reverb. I am very much into smooth and ambient sort of uplifting trance.

Since you add side chain you can often have long tails. I often use up to around 8 seconds which is fine thanks to the side chain. I use LFO tool from Xfer which can control the amount of side chain I want in a very easy way.

I am addicted to reverbs and I have all Valhalla reverbs, and Vintage is nice if you don't like Room. Vintage have actually several reverb types in it, which makes it more versatile. I also use Artsacoustics Reverb but it cost 94,50 US$ at the moment. It is a very nice reverb.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

that TB reverb 4 is well priced and will check out those one synth challenges over the next few days.
ATN69 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:51 pm I often use up to around 8 seconds which is fine thanks to the side chain
that might be where im going wrong as ive never really pushed it that far on a lead, i thought you had to keep it fairly short so will try longer decay times.

would you say room is better than vintage and plate for trance / hard dance ? i couldnt get the sound i wanted with room but was probably my fault as i still have no idea where to use the different types of reverbs on the different sounds so its just a guessing game at the minute :lol: Is there a type which is best for big leads such as halls, rooms, chambers, plate etc...?

Sk1nZ wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:12 pm would you say room is better than vintage and plate for trance / hard dance ? i couldnt get the sound i wanted with room
Me neither. And i tried quite a lot. It's just too clean and unnatural sounding for me. Vintage Verb is quite the opposite. But, shares a somewhat unnatural character. The Valhalla verbs are simply not my cup of tea. They sound somewhat... exaggerated. Sort of like the early Tone2 synths. Too much cream on the cake.

You can simply go to youtube and search for 'ableton sidechain reverb.'
I use OrilRiver, it's free, I'd certainly give it a try!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DEagjcqNPJ8&t=429s

im not going to rule out valhalla just yet but yeah it did seem un natural

yeah i know about sidechain reverb, its how i do it, and thats a good video, i found Big Z a few weeks ago and he's the best youtuber ive seen for tutorials and ive watched A LOT over the years

It's not extremely versatile, but... Eventide Blackhole is on sale ATM, for $29: https://store.eventideaudio.com/pages/4 ... uly%20sale

For what it does (lush, spacey reverbs, perfect for pads), i think it's absolutely top notch. It may even be more versatile than what hits the eye/ear. I read from someone here who wrote that, for a long while, it has been his only reverb, and did the job fine. IMO, it sounds really nice. If you get that, and maybe TB-Reverb-4, i'm sure you get a lot of mileage out of those two.

Relab Sonsig Rev-A released just a few days ago was really an ear opener for me. =)

Game changer. Cheesy marketing slogan but this time true. It gives me that percentage quality I still missed before in other software reverb plugins.

It sounds excellent on its own. But more importantly sits also in the mix, melts with any source signal you put through and has a high degree of depth sharpness.

If $99 (intro price) don't hold you back and iLok (no hw dongle needed) doesn't bother you then check it out. Demo available.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:52 pm It's not extremely versatile, but... Eventide Blackhole is on sale ATM, for $29: https://store.eventideaudio.com/pages/4 ... uly%20sale

For what it does (lush, spacey reverbs, perfect for pads), i think it's absolutely top notch. It may even be more versatile than what hits the eye/ear. I read from someone here who wrote that, for a long while, it has been his only reverb, and did the job fine. IMO, it sounds really nice. If you get that, and maybe TB-Reverb-4, i'm sure you get a lot of mileage out of those two.
Absolutely pick up Blackhole for $29. If you don’t like it, flip it on the market place. You could probably make some cash. I paid $65 for mine. It can also be a unique sounding delay.

While extremely simple and lacking anything besides 4 fixed presets, Zynaptiq Subspace is a killer reverb and it’s free when you sign up for their newsletter. Sometimes it’s all I need.

If you can find it second hand, I can’t recommend Eventide SP2016 reverb (not room) enough. It’s probably my most used reverb plugin. I got it second hand for $55.

PSP 2445 is also very good and can be found super cheap.

You really can't go wrong with a Valhalla option. $50 for a fantastic reverb that can do it all. I have VintageVerb myself, and it's phenomenal.

Sk1nZ wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:12 pm that TB reverb 4 is well priced and will check out those one synth challenges over the next few days.
ATN69 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:51 pm I often use up to around 8 seconds which is fine thanks to the side chain
that might be where im going wrong as ive never really pushed it that far on a lead, i thought you had to keep it fairly short so will try longer decay times.

would you say room is better than vintage and plate for trance / hard dance ? i couldnt get the sound i wanted with room but was probably my fault as i still have no idea where to use the different types of reverbs on the different sounds so its just a guessing game at the minute :lol: Is there a type which is best for big leads such as halls, rooms, chambers, plate etc...?
I seen producers use all Valhalla reverbs. They are very popular and all though there are other Shimmer reverbs out there, I would say that Valhalla Shimmer is one of the best in it's category. If I was you I would consider Valhalla Vintage. It has a lot of different characters built in. It can do room, plate, halls, etc, etc. It also have a color setting which makes it sound like a reverb from the 70's, 80's or modern. It's only $50.

I have Blackhole and it's a nice reverb suitable for trance, ambient, etc. Blackhole is worth checking out. It's only $29 right now. One of the best reverbs IMHO that I own is FAB-Pro R. It's not cheap but it's a nice reverb. I have a too big collection of reverbs. Some I use more often, some I use more seldom. I use most of them once in a while. I choose reverb based on the sound and I don't go by any rules. I go by ear.

Reverbs and delays are such an essential part of trance, or any kind of EDM for that matter, that I am always prepared to save and buy good stuff, even though some are quite expensive. Next on my list would be Relab LX480 complete $299. Polyverse comet is on sale at $99 right now. I never tested it but video demos sounds fine at least.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Exponential Audio R2 has become my favorite bread and butter reverb for some time now. Especially the Plate algorithms sound really excellent. It's not cheap either though. Fortunately, i got it quite... um... cheap. Props to Focusrite for their giveaway. :)

Currently use Toneboosters Reverb 4 for most of my needs, and D16 Toraverb to create weird and different reverbs. Toraverb completely able to be used as regular reverb but it lends itself better to different textures with a few turns of parameters. Main reason I got TB Reverb 4 was because it has ability have long delays (200+ms) which comes in handy for techno kick reverbs. Weird how many reverbs dont have delay passed 100ms. Plus bunch of other cool shit like nice EQ, shimmer tab, ability to mess with individual reverb times of frequencies using EQ, gating, etc. One of the best EQ’s out there, and for super cheap. Got mine when it was 30 euros. Now it’s 40....still worth it.

As far as how to use it, look into using sends. Gives tracks the same room or ambience versus bunch of different reverbs which will sound off

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”