Great discontinued plugins...and alternatives?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Protocol_b wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:11 pm Squareheads NORA. Nothing resembles it, no alternatives. My past posts on KVR may indicate that I carry a torch for this plug. That I am neurotically attached. That I lie naked in a dark concrete room crying out for it. Some, or all, of this is true. NORA was sent by God and taken by the Devil. Life has lost its shine.

Yes it still works but I feel the Fear.
It does not seam to be discontinued...
https://squaredheads.com/

Protocol_b wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:11 pm Squareheads NORA. Nothing resembles it, no alternatives. My past posts on KVR may indicate that I carry a torch for this plug. That I am neurotically attached. That I lie naked in a dark concrete room crying out for it. Some, or all, of this is true. NORA was sent by God and taken by the Devil. Life has lost its shine.

TRy loomer architect
While it has over 100 building blocks ( midi ) for creating anything you want
You can get going with just the included sequencers
The included sequencers are top notch + ableton style clip launcher .
It's fantastic
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:29 pm

TRy loomer architect
While it has over 100 building blocks ( midi ) for creating anything you want
You can get going with just the included sequencers
The included sequencers are top notch + ableton style clip launcher .
It's fantastic
I would consider purchasing Architect if there was a list of the modules and what each can do.
A description of the sequencers would be great.
A list of the capabilities of what Architect can do and what the future may bring.
If there such a link please post.

From little that I have read about Architect is the it has a lot of potential!
But a potential to do what is not clear to me.
I mostly use presets and then tweak.

Anyone here remembers REZ by Ugo audio. That was my favorite for a long time. The most delicious arpeggios out of that little techno monster. Unfortunately he stopped maintaining his plug ins. He created Sting Theory and Motion and ironhead as well. Lost them all when I moved to Mac . :-(
Also lost my RGC audio ‘Pentagon’ and Z3t4+. Miss those from my early days.
Alternatives?
paz por esos mundos

All the Cakewalk products remain available to download and to install if you still have your registered email address and your password:
Last edited by BlackWinny on Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:08 am All the Cakewalk products remains available to download and to install if you still have your registered email address and your password:
Hopefully, they'll go on providing the account management. I already backed up the installers and serials anyway, though, so, the plugins won't stop working if they don't.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:20 am
BlackWinny wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:08 am All the Cakewalk products remain available to download and to install if you still have your registered email address and your password:
Hopefully, they'll go on providing the account management. I already backed up the installers and serials anyway, though, so, the plugins won't stop working if they don't.
Yes, i did the same. It is the best solution.
:)

What's interesting in Cakewalk's products is that an Internet connection is not necessarily required if we don't use the Command Center but if we use the common installers (one by one as with almost all the other brands) with their respective serial numbers. So yes, it is extremely important to keep also the serial numbers. The best solution is to simply do a "save as" of the page to keep it on the directory where all the installers are saved on an external drive. That way, these products will remain quasi-immortal.
:D
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

mixtur.se wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:31 am I used Steinberg virtual guitarist all the time. Ujam virtual guitarist is ok, but not as good as Steinberg’s. NI s session guitarist is doing a good job replacing virtual guitarist though.
It still works here via 32Lives. Mac, Sierra.

i still miss emulator-x. the best filters i ever heard in software, at least as far as i remember. also a huge modulation matrix and fun sampling functionality. the next best thing i found after years is tal sampler, though it is limited in comparison.

I miss Antares Kantos 1.0. It was a very powerful, flexible audio-controlled synthesizer VST which was based on the "auto-tune" engine that mapped input sounds to pitch; but went way beyond that, as you could also use the harmonic content of the input sound to perform various modulations. And the UI looked like it was designed by H.R. Giger!

The downside is that it was also completely unpredictable; you could bounce the same audio track two different times with completely different results depending on where the LFO's, etc. were at.

I used it for turning hand drums into cool melodic riffs; and with the mix at 100% wet, 0% dry there's no clue that any drums were involved.

CausticPuppy wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:01 pm I miss Antares Kantos 1.0. It was a very powerful, flexible audio-controlled synthesizer VST which was based on the "auto-tune" engine that mapped input sounds to pitch; but went way beyond that, as you could also use the harmonic content of the input sound to perform various modulations. And the UI looked like it was designed by H.R. Giger!

The downside is that it was also completely unpredictable; you could bounce the same audio track two different times with completely different results depending on where the LFO's, etc. were at.

I used it for turning hand drums into cool melodic riffs; and with the mix at 100% wet, 0% dry there's no clue that any drums were involved.
Madrona Labs' Virta may be good replacement here. I never used Kantos, but the descriptions here and online sound very close to Virta, particularly in being able to use various input audio characteristics as modulators.

https://madronalabs.com/products/virta

All the TC Powercore plugins, there is a ton of them and some fantastic plugins.

Release the hounds! (I mean plugins...)

I miss all my SynthEdit plugins. I won't be able to update any of them to 64 bit because pretty much all the 3rd party modules I used on them are disctontinued. I could cobble something together with the SE Phase Distortion oscillator but it would be a lot clunkier than the old ones.

I also miss ReFX's PlastiCZ! It had a real character of its own that I've not been able to get from anything else.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

cron wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:52 pm
CausticPuppy wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:01 pm I miss Antares Kantos 1.0. It was a very powerful, flexible audio-controlled synthesizer VST which was based on the "auto-tune" engine that mapped input sounds to pitch; but went way beyond that, as you could also use the harmonic content of the input sound to perform various modulations. And the UI looked like it was designed by H.R. Giger!

Madrona Labs' Virta may be good replacement here. I never used Kantos, but the descriptions here and online sound very close to Virta, particularly in being able to use various input audio characteristics as modulators.

https://madronalabs.com/products/virta
Thanks for that, I hadn't heard of it before. It does look close, albeit missing a few key things (they may be hidden in menus but I'll try the demo).

Kantos could constrain pitch, which had some very interesting possibilities. For example I primarily used Kantos to process percussion (hand drums, etc), which could for example translate to a synth constrained to a blues scale. I believe Antares has some patents on this though related to their "auto-tune" implementation.

Kantos also had arpeggiators, using the sound to drive the pitch (constrained to a select few notes if needed) and using aspects of the sound (formants, etc) to control things like the rate of the arpeggiator... so that would have some very organic crazy sounding results!

Virta may do something similar by accepting MIDI input for the notes and using audio to modulate it... more like a standard vocoder but with more flexibility.

*edit*
After seeing a few YT videos it looks like Virta is right up my alley. Now that I'm dipping my toes back into synths, my main focus is going to be ambient/soundtrack type stuff with tracks driven by real recorded percussion instruments (and in most cases you won't hear the original "dry" percussion audio). 89 bucks isn't bad at all, let's just see if it kills my CPU.

Albino3 and Camel Audio plugins (pre Apple)

ArtsAcoustic Reverb although i dont think its discontinued, been awhile since an update

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”