Great discontinued plugins...and alternatives?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Probably the ones I miss the most are the early ReFX plugins before they went the way of Nexus, especially Vanguard and (to a much lesser extent) Slayer. Despite many attempts (and at least one or two discussion threads) trying to find a replacement, I still can't say that I've found something that completely matches Vanguard's combination of particular sound, streamlined and intuitive interface, easy tweakability, and fantastic ready-to-go presets. I think the original ANA was probably the closest, but afaik it's also no longer available, supplanted by the more complicated ANA 2. In terms of the sound character, at least of the plugins I have, the one that feels the closest to "Vanguard but better" is Rapid, but it has far more options and is resultingly far more complex to work with. I guess there's also khs One, although I don't seem to get on that well with it. As I don't tend to do a whole lot with guitars, I find that for me at least, AAS String Studio and Strum have easily supplanted Slayer.

I also missed the Luxonix LX-1310 effect bank when I went to 64-bit, as it provided an easy-to-use rack for quickly slotting in and tweaking basic effects. That being said, there are now a ton of multi-FX plugins available, and PSP N2O is comparably a straight upgrade by at least an order of magnitude in just about every aspect.

I used Steinberg virtual guitarist all the time. Ujam virtual guitarist is ok, but not as good as Steinberg’s. NI s session guitarist is doing a good job replacing virtual guitarist though.

jethrobull wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:23 am Ahh psyGEN by M-RGT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKm3-ADJI9w
God I miss his pugins...
Looks great! Never heard of it before, tho... :oops:

this seems promising,have to give it a try:
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... 03&id=2027

Inear Display's Gorgon is quite the awesome piece of sound manipulation software.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

AsPeeXXXVIII wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:12 pm Inear Display's Gorgon is quite the awesome piece of sound manipulation software.
It's now this?
https://glitchmachines.com/products/subvert/

spelled my name wrong :o

crimsonwarlock wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:24 am
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:56 am Personally i miss Albino from Linplug/Rob Papen.
That was the one I thought of immediately as well.
I still like Albino.
Linplug had several great synths.

hg fortune stuff

and of course m-rgt

as of right now, all the m-rgt synths still work (though i wish psybox would have just been merged with psybox+), and most hg fortune plugs still work... but hgs are starting to become problematic, and im sure its just a matter of time before the m-rgt plugs start to malfunction.

too bad, theyre so good.
ImageImageImage

No issues with hgf plugins here (in reaper or bitwig)

Spectrumworx. IIRC it was the first plugin I ever bought. I still use it regularly.

SpecOps is an excellent plugin in its own right which I can't recommend enough, but it doesn't replace SpectrumWorx. Very different design philosophies.

Terratec Komplexer. One of the best sounding soft synths.

Alternative: Waldorf Largo. Sounds a tad different though, brighter, cleaner, more modern.

Not sure this has been mentioned yet - why not just keep an old machine around for discontinued OS/DAWs/plugins? No need to stop using this stuff (unless a C/R license server has gone belly up).

jethrobull wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:34 amI still have Alchemy and still works great. As for alternatives, probably a lot
What are the alternatives to Alchemy?
Many people consider it to be unique....
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:49 am
jethrobull wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:34 amI still have Alchemy and still works great. As for alternatives, probably a lot
What are the alternatives to Alchemy?
Many people consider it to be unique....
At the time it was, but now its not that unique anymore. But it had amazing presets wich i think played a role so that people think its still is a very unique. Its great no doubt. But its only nostalgia.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”