Best Hardware Sequencer

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What Hardware Sequencer would you recommend for controlling multiple hardware synths?

Thank you

Cirklon

Mine arrives in August :hyper:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Octatrack

Depends what and how you want to sequence. I use the following:

Elektron Style step sequencer- one of the best IF you like this type of thing with parameter locks (sequence anything per step)
Octotrack - 8 midi parts (and 8 sampler) - Elektron have a great step sequencer....
Digitone- as above with FM synth and 4 part midi - cheaper!
Analog 4 - CV sequencer only, but a very good one!

Deluge- almost as flexible as Elektron but with better visual feedback in my opinion easier to use and more fun, also does midi and CV (and has built in sampler and synths....)

https://youtu.be/tSTyrTq0l-Y

OP-Z - one of the very best step sequencers and pretty cheap! need to but a card for CV and MIDI out (unless you sequence via USB). Tiny, pocket sized, battery powered, TE craziness but actually incredibly powerful sequencer....possibly more powerful than even Elektron with crazy adding P locks

https://youtu.be/VJTCGsG_BY8
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Cirklon. Because it has 5 Midi Outs.

edit:
1.) Midi is a bitch regarding timing when trying to use more than one synth on one physical midi out (depending how many notes are played at the same time)
2.) Midi is a bitch regarding timing when you try to build a midi chain via the midi thru of the synths (depends on the synth. some synths have real hardware midi through. they are not so a problem with this. but some devices have a soft midi thru. the midi goes thru the CPU of the device which can introduce serious latency)

last year i was looking for a hw sequencer....i did a LOT of research. cirklon, pyramid, oktatrack, polyend seq...a ton of different things. i went with the deluge. i hadnt even heard of the thing before i started looking and was actually on the verge of getting a pyramid. once i saw the deluge i knew that was the one for me. its very powerful but also VERY intuitive. the thing about a lot of hw sequencers is they dont really make things easy.

the deluge is really easy to use, yet can do a LOT of things should you decide you want more complicated stuff from it. while i got it mainly as a sequencer...its a pretty capable synth, sampler, and percussion groovebox as well. all that in a small ultra portable form factor that you can run from a rechargeable battery. all for around the same (or less) than things like the cirklon (if you can even find one), polyend, or op-1.

with that said...i have seen a few new things this year that look interesting...off the top of my head, the toraiz squid for one looks pretty nice.
ImageImageImage

Thanks a lot to everyone for your valuable feedback.

Currently the Deluge, Squid and Composer pro are the most interesting units I've come across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDWl6Tlo36k

I'm currently using the Mpc Live and Octatrack mkii, but I'm willing to try different configurations for the best workflow and least timing issues.

Never used one but I was tempted by the Social Entropy Engine for a time. Ended up going with the Octatrack instead and I love it. It’s not great for MIDI chords or poly clips, admittedly, but the sampler can help out there.

Also it’s not hardware, but Patterning 2 on iPad is a phenomenal 8-track (mono) sequencer. Up there with the best imho.

Roland MC-80. Had one for years. Rock solid.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

The guy asks for best hardware sequencer and people post videos of elektron and teenage engineering , rofl .
Best is subjective , but here goes anyway
The Circklon is considered to be the pinnacle of hardware sequencer , ( ia m still on the waiting list )
-Squarp pyramid
-Yamah qy700 , rs 7000 , qx3 ( pretty old )
-Roland mc 80
etc..
You can't go wrong with any of these
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Cirklon or the Octatrack depending on your needs / style.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”