How do you arrange different loops when they have different chord progressions?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm talking about cloud-based production services like LoopCloud and Splice.

They promote the fact that their samples will be pitch-shifted to the key of your song / project.

But each sample, out of the thousands available, may follow different chord progressions anyway.

So what if you like a guitar riff, but it has a different chord progression?

Thanks,

I just look for another one or chop and mix it up with something that works.
Since studio one 4 i could „tune“ them progression-wise but I stick to my old fashioned way somehow. In the fullblown versions of Cubase and Melodyne you can change things drastically as well, when it comes to polyphonic content.

Do not use melodic loops :shrug:

Maybe for granular synthesis, but then they're going to be transposed anyway.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Long approach: Get experienced with music theory
Quick remedy: Mix & match (trial & error), eventually you will find yourself achieving the point above.

For me using melodic loops doesn't help you grow as a musician. It's also a little bit like paint by numbers and leads to very generic sounding tracks. If you must use melodic loops then you will need to find a zero crossing point in the sample to slice and dice the melody into the order you want. There are a number of plugins that will do this for you, some may be available in your sequencer of choice.
I invite you to 'voyage' over to https://adrianearnshaw.com, sign up for some fun e-mail 'blasts', and look forward to helping you launch your ears - and projects - into the stratosphere.

fantasyvn wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Thanks,
Find another one that doesn't :shrug: (I don't use other peoples melodic samples).

biodiode wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 pm For me using melodic loops doesn't help you grow as a musician. It's also a little bit like paint by numbers and leads to very generic sounding tracks.
This.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

fantasyvn wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Thanks,
Try to make the guitar riff work with the chord progression. This is actually a great opportunity to make something creative from the paint-by-numbers set. Transpose the riff to different keys, move individual notes around until they sound right (or just less wrong). This is work, and can be a painful process, but you'll certainly learn and gain something from the experience.

call up your ex boyfriend who plays guitar and go through some of his stuff, while he expectedly waits, with concerned looks on his face. take a few of his guitar pics and leave. now you won't screw up your jerk off finger tips opening all those cans of diet soda.

Don't pet a burning dog.

I dont usually work with loops but you can try high passing away the root notes and it may fit better with the base line your song has.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”