Please recommend the best free multifx for Synth use

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone

We have many great free Synths like Tyrell N6, Dexed, Obxd, Charlatan and Synth1.... but what would be the best free multifx unit to use with these synths or which free efx would you recommend to build my synth channel strip? If you recommend lose efx units which is the correct order to place it.. eg is it synth> extra filter>chorus> distortion> compressor\limiter> delay>reverb?

What are your recommendations?

the order depends what you're trying to achieve.

think in terms of guitar, you have the usual distortion stuff in to delay/verb ala pink floyd (although that is fuzz)...
but then bands like my bloody valentine put the distortion post reverb for a filthy wash of sound.

both are correct. because both achieve a goal.
knowing what you want to achieve is the real question. :)

Pedals that affect dynamics usually go close to the start of the chain, so a compressor would usually come before the distortion (which will probably cause some compression itself). You probably want the filter first though, as a compressor first might change the attack of the note and reduce the dynamics that the filter introduces.

Pedals that modulate usually go after boost/distortion though so that they can take advantage of the harmonics that distortion introduces into the signal.

My take would be filter->compressor->distortion->chorus->delay->reverb, but the reality is that there's no right or wrong way to do it - it just depends on what sound you want from your effects chain.
Sweet child in time...

the only correct signal chain is

distortion->delay->delay->delay->delay->delay->delay->delay->delay->reverb
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:16 pm the only correct signal chain is

fuzz>2nd fuzz>delay->delay->delay->delay->delay->delay->delay->delay->reverb>distortion
fixed.

vurt wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:20 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:16 pm the only correct signal chain is

fuzz>2nd fuzz>delay->delay->delay->delay->delay->delay->delay->delay->reverb>distortion
fixed.
i stand corrected.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

just take a distortion/delay/ filter.
a simple loop.
then keeping it simple, swap the fx order, each time listening while sweeping the filter.

filter distortion delay will give you a somewhat different sound to distortion filter delay.
delay distortion filter different again...

so, imo seperate fx is best, also you then get to choose which distortion or whatever, you want to use!

Thank you for the replies and pointers sofar everyone... is a free multifx unit that you guys can recommend?

First effect is reverb. Best free reverbs for synths are probably OrilRiver and Voxengo Vintage Verb. Voxengo also has a free Tube Amp and analyzer Span plus a mid side plugin which are great for synth processing.
Then delays. I would download the free Dead Duck bundle which has a reverb and a delay.
Actually the free Hofa System Basic has a reverb delay and comp that you can use literally inside a strip.
Also download Melda's free bundle, just because nearly everything in there sounds good on a synth and has funky presets.
SpaceShip Delay by Musical Entropy is really good.

Also helpful is to think of processing synths like guitars and effects like guitar pedals, and shxt even using things like Guitar Rig to process them. There are so many good free effect plugins out there. Check out AirWindows bundle too he got some great stuff for synths.

Also download the free KiloHearts Snap Heap that it comes with a widener, chorus, delay and limiter, inside a wrapper that can be modulated.

flanger

thats if really

(hardware only tho, software flangers suck donkey balls)

surreal wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:21 pm Thank you for the replies and pointers sofar everyone... is a free multifx unit that you guys can recommend?

Since it's free it's harder to find a good multi than various individual units. There is HY that I know that has an ok basic multiband multifx : https://hy-plugins.com/download/

I'm not sure if the free Melda plugins can be loaded in MXXX core but the free Melda pack has a lot to offer. https://www.meldaproduction.com/bundles

BlueCat's free bundle is cool too.
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/B ... ewarePack/
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Thank you everyone for your replies .. I will checkout all the recommenfations

So many FX, so many (free) options.....

Have you ever tried out the "Products" search engine here at KVR?
https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/instru ... sts/newest

What kind of FX are you looking for? I have tried hundreds of free synths and FX in the past years in a succesfull attempt to go (almost) FREE and in-the-box.

There are many great free plugins available in (almost) all categories. I would not go for a huge Swiss army knife (multi effect) but instead find and learn how to use a selection of specialized tools.

Kwurqx wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:21 pm So many FX, so many (free) options.....

Have you ever tried out the "Products" search engine here at KVR?
https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/instru ... sts/newest

What kind of FX are you looking for? I have tried hundreds of free synths and FX in the past years in a succesfull attempt to go (almost) FREE and in-the-box.

There are many great free plugins available in (almost) all categories. I would not go for a huge Swiss army knife (multi effect) but instead find and learn how to use a selection of specialized tools.
Thats great!! Can you give me your recommendations from your experoence aka the cream of the crop!

Great reverbs (free or otherwise) are especially hard to find. The best free Reverb for me at this moment is not found in the KVR Products list/database....

Valdemar Erlingsson - Cloud Seed
https://github.com/ValdemarOrn/CloudSeed/releases

Very programmable (which is a blessing for some and a curse for others). Can produce very transparant and beautiful reverbs ranging from intimite and small ambiences and rooms to many seconds of ambient deep space...

I like it better then say OrilRiver, Ambience, EpicVerb, TAL Reverb(s), OldSkoolVerb, Ambient Reverb or Sanford Reverb (all very good free reverbs BTW).

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”