The best Apple laptop for music production?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys!

My old computer quit on me this week (RIP) so I'm looking into getting a new laptop for music production.

I use Logic and need a bit of extra space for other projects (video editing... photos... and obviously software and music things.) :)

What model would you recommend from the Apple family? Do any of you work on an Apple? Pros and cons? Or do you prefer a different type of computer all together?

Thanks in advance :tu:

First think about how the MBP fits into your entire workflow, e.g. how you will connect peripherals with the Thunderbolt ports, use the Touch Strip that replaces function keys, and backup everything. My MBPs last a long while, so I suggest future-proofing with an i9, 32GB, and everything on the internal SSD (2TB) with one HDD and iCloud for dual backup.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

My MacBook Pro Mid 2014 top of the range is reaching its limits with my work theses days but generally going strong.I won't buy another laptop of any sorts again for my production machine be it Mac or Windows based OS.Im waiting on the new Mac Pro atm. Have you considered a Mac mini?But if your heart is set on a laptop get the best MacBook pro you can afford.
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

What model did you have before?
Sweet child in time...

Michael L wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:18 pm First think about how the MBP fits into your entire workflow, e.g. how you will connect peripherals with the Thunderbolt ports, use the Touch Strip that replaces function keys, and backup everything. My MBPs last a long while, so I suggest future-proofing with an i9, 32GB, and everything on the internal SSD (2TB) with one HDD and iCloud for dual backup.
Thanks a ton for this advice! Truly appreciate it :)

Deep Purple wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:53 am What model did you have before?
I had a 2012 Macbook pro!

SarahCommand wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:53 pm
Deep Purple wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:53 am What model did you have before?
I had a 2012 Macbook pro!
Personally I would go with another MBP, with at least a 15" screen, 512GB SSD and 16GB of RAM, although more is better of course
Sweet child in time...

risome wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:38 pm My MacBook Pro Mid 2014 top of the range is reaching its limits with my work theses days but generally going strong.I won't buy another laptop of any sorts again for my production machine be it Mac or Windows based OS.Im waiting on the new Mac Pro atm. Have you considered a Mac mini?But if your heart is set on a laptop get the best MacBook pro you can afford.
Thanks for the insight, truly appreciate it! Is there a reason why you don't like working with a laptop? I was thinking about buying one because of their portability but was unsure if it's good for the longterm. Didn't actually think about the Mac Mini... thank you!

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I'm hungry now...
Sweet child in time...

:hihi:

Budget?

Aloysius wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:27 pm Image
:lol: :tu:

Indeed, that's the only Apple I would consider :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

You could put it beside your PC.

It's been my personal experience that portable systems are great for scratch-padding ideas on the fly, but terrible for any real music production.

And of course, the general rule for buying Apple is buy as much as you can afford. Especially not skimping on the CPU & Memory (& in that priority).

Remember that their basic premise is "what you buy is what you live with until you buy it all again".

And when the decision is between power and portability, always choose power. (Which also calculates into its technological life span.)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”