What's the best K. Brown synth?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Follow? - yes, but not completely and it doesn't interest me enough to delve into it. I appreciate you taking the time and trouble explain all this, but I'm not a musician nor a 'home studio' engineer. The only music I make are butt-simple ambient-style pieces with just a couple of plugs open in VSTHost; I own a DAW just for checking compatibility with my plugins, but I don't even know how to use it to make tracks.

This sort of thing is one of the main reasons I've made my Synthmaker/Flowstone schematics available publicly and for free, so anyone with a Flowstone licsence can add whatever capability they wish for their own purposes.

What's your favorite K. Brown synth K. Brown?

At this point, I'd have to say a toss-up between copperHead 2602 and Voyette SPT.

Have you heard of the Ctrlr project? it's for creating patches on your old hardware synths with your mac or pc. Of course they don't make sound but I bet they could offer some inspiration.

Here's an example
http://ctrlr.org/yamaha-sy-tg77-editor/

kevin brown wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:41 pm At this point, I'd have to say a toss-up between copperHead 2602 and Voyette SPT.
Kind of offtopic, but is there any chance to make a mirror to your website?
Its not available in my country due to various reasons which I'm not control of.
Or at least something like screenshot of a whole page. I dloaded archive in summer 2019 and it will be very useful for me to see visual index of these plugins too.

https://yadi.sk/i/DkFLlCFlCg-h9g
Screenshot of the site.

Several new things since the summer (even just today and yesterday). :)

Even though these synth plugins may sound nothing like the originals I find them pretty inspiring especially since they have no presets! I'm pretty much approaching and using them like crossword puzzles or riddles that have to be solved. I was pretty intrigued by the Buchla and EMS style GUI's because they are the only way to experience working with these strange and fascinating machines without ruining myself financially by acquiring Eurorack modules and hardware clones that are popping up on the scene recently. And it's kind of a training camp for future investments in the clones Behringer have been announcing this year (Buchla Easel, VCS3 and the like) and having managed to build the first quite promising patches after weeks of try and error on The Dodecan, Cassini, Rev Too, Rolend JP 680 and The Music Weasel that I will actually be using on tracks I am working on , I kind of feel like a God because I will not simply be using professionally built presets like with the Arturia V Collection but my very own patches that I eventually managed to make myself from scratch. They're just a handful of patches but even though they are still quite simple and don't sound like the original machines, they're nice and unique and completely the result of my very own ideas and the paths I have carved through the vast labyrinths of each individual architecture of circuitry. And just like a basic sine wave or pulse or sawtooth is the same basic waveform with every synth and the main characteristics of filters and modulation tools are pretty similar in different synths by different manufacturers, the results coming from these individual builds couldn't be more different, just the same as the exact same patch on a Prophet 5 does sound completely different on a Skulpt, a patch made on a Rolend sounds completely different than the same patch crafted on a Chorg. Or as Starsky Carr had it some time ago: The Skulpt doesn't sound like a Prophet 5 and the Prophet 5 doesn't sound like The Skulpt, but both of them are excellent synthesizers that have their individual charm and strength. And when you put it that way, the vast collection of plugins by Kevin Brown is one of the greatest treasures you can find on the internet. I completely love it and take a deep bow and say "Thank you!" for a unique and dedicated work that has no competition. :-)

i don't know whick k brown synths are best.
i haven't tested them yet.

i'm waiting for preset makers to get busy with these k brown
synths like they got busy with synth1 presets.

they are thousands of synth1 presets.
23,000+ presets the last time i looked.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

and synth1 is only one synth. what the?
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

The plugs are 32-bit, Windows-only; they cannot be made Mac-compatible because they were made with Synthmaker
They're only 32-bit, so not sure how much interest there would be for them. As far as I know, it's not possible to compile 32-bit Synthmaker plugins for 64-bit, so they may not ever become 64-bit.

Many (most?) 32-bit VST's can live happily in 64-bit environments when bridged. But yes, 32-bit will probably disappear before 64-bit does.

I know I am quite late in replying in this thread, but....

If you haven't checked out Kevin Brown plugins, I believe you are truly missing out. He made so many interesting synths with various characteristics! At first I was a bit thrown off by the lack of presets, but after playing around a bit I really started to appreciate them more for it. It forced me to learn more about the building blocks and signal flow of each of the synths they were inspired by. I have so much fun just creating presets that I actually get lost in time! I also find that I am using them more and more in my songs. Yes, many are 32bit, but with jBridge they work great in my DAW of choice (Cakewalk/Sonar)!!!!

The following is a list of my personal favorites. Naturally I haven't tried them all.... yet!
MatrixSix1
Juan, Oh Juan
Voyette
Osciet
Cronus
VQ-800
Tyro
JP-680
PG-238
OBie 2V
SH3p
Polly
SH-75
Tonus 2813
Luge

I just released some music that features quite a few presets from these synths.
Anyone interested in presets, just let me know.

AGAIN…. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!
Last edited by PatCJrMusic on Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevin brown wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:41 pm At this point, I'd have to say a toss-up between copperHead 2602 and Voyette SPT.
Voyette is certainly one of my Favorites!!!
Can't thank you enough!!!!

SystemOne g
Sovereign I
Matrix 6
CS-358
gM-32

I downloaded the first one, 80 Vox II, and that was 64-bit. Looked and sounded decent enough at first try as well.? I had another go at the full download, I gave up the first time as someone in the comment section on the download page wrote it took forever. It takes some 5 minutes for the full download to calculate the size, and another 5 to download. I haven't looked through everything, it seems most are 32-bit, there are a few which are 64-bit as well though

Impressive collection by any standard, thanks for the link!

I have used some K Brown plug-ins, but alas several I like are 32 bit. I used Cubase Pro 8, which had no problems with 32 bit vsts. Used the Rolend 57 and the TriloGee for this one.
https://soundcloud.com/user-804295634/dream
Today I downloaded a couple of 64 bit stuff from K Brown, because I lost them when I re-installed Windows. I'm planning to switch to Cubase Pro 12, which can't work with 32 bit vsts.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”