Best new synths for EDM?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I always have to grin a bit about discussions like this. :) I remember that Z3TA also always has been a candidate for people claiming that it can sound analog or digital, depending on the programming. While it's true that you can surely make simple analog sounding basses, leads or whatever with more digital sounding synths, try to do a analog sounding filter sweep with high resonance with them, and hear how the resonance is screaming, and ear piecing, instead of being smooth and... well... analog. Compare a Minimog emulation of your choice with Z3TA, and see for yourself.

Again, not to say that Z3TA can't do some analog sounds well. But, it's just a very digital sounding synth in general, regardless of such sounds as in the Origin Sound Retro Synths soundset. And, to come back to Serum, i hear a certain piercing and harsh character in all the sounds i heard from it so far. It rather sounds proudly digital than analog. Which is fair enough of course, i'm sure Steve Duda and the guy who did the filters (Andrew from Cytomic?) were aiming for that anyway.

Again, don't get me wrong, i love some of the more digital synth, e.g. the Virus, or Spire. Even though they can sound pretty analog, IMO. Far from that "ear piercing" digital sound.

I think that the type of analog sounds that Serum is capable of does not fall on the Moog or Oberheim side of the equation. More edgy like Sequential and Roland or analog/digital hybrids like PPG, Korg or Ensoniq.

Serum is Proudly Digital.
I don't think its necessarily "Sertile" But it is indeed Piercing.
It's designed to be like that.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Spencer Maddox wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:33 pm Serum is Proudly Digital.
That's what i always thought.

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:35 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:33 pm Serum is Proudly Digital.
That's what i always thought.
Yea, Reading your response I unintentionally wrote essentially the same thing you did, we both even used the term "Proudly Digital" :hihi:
My Bad there, But it's true. Its just designed to be that and thats why It has so much success for the things it does well (Bass Design, EDM, Etc)

:)

It just lends itself to the use of "proudly digital". At least from what i heard (still haven't demo'd it *slaps himself*).

One person's sterile is another person's pristine. As for piercing, it can be but doesn't have to be. Depends on the harmonic structure of the waveform/wavetable you use, and the filtering and EQ you employ.

tony10000 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:59 pm One person's sterile is another person's pristine. As for piercing, it can be but doesn't have to be. Depends on the harmonic structure of the waveform/wavetable you use, and the filtering and EQ you employ.
Well yea some waveforms are better.
For example I don’t like the generic Saw.
No idea why it’s just Too piercing for me, but some of the factory saws work much better.

I don’t know.
I love serum I think it’s one of the most sonicly flexible plugins in the world.
Just wouldnt use it FOR analogue style sounds.
It’s not what it’s ment to do; it’s like trying to get a fish to climb a tree.

The generic saw is probably the most pure saw that you will ever find due to the oversampling and crazy harmonics. Find some old analog waveforms/wavetables and you can get quite different results. Good source: https://cymatics.fm/blogs/production/ul ... wavetables

I would also add ANA2 to the list. Very capable synth if you dig into it.

tony10000 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:19 pm The generic saw is probably the most pure saw that you will ever find due to the oversampling and crazy harmonics. Find some old analog waveforms/wavetables and you can get quite different results. Good source: https://cymatics.fm/blogs/production/ul ... wavetables
those wavetable are garbage, a wavetable is not made to be a final sound.

Sine to Square to Saw = best wt ever.

the Analog sound signature don't come from the wt, it is more about detune, slight random move and saturation.

I think almost all the TONE2 stuff is great for EDM.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

I don't have u-he Hive myself, but Hive 2 might be of your interest when it comes out soon.

i don't think modern EDM scene is interested of vintage analog sound so much,than to use some of the stuff typical for analog sound,but anyway it's not the old analog sound itself the interesting thing,but dynamic of the sound achieved one way or another plus everything that digital era gives more,i definitely wouldn't spend time and money with vst emulation with 4-5 waveforms and so limited options and workflow,that i will be totally bored after 10 minutes sound design.Things need progress,so thanks to all developers that offer powerful,modern vst synths.Just an opinion :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”