Best new synths for EDM?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sort of agree about similar sounds in commercial use,but can't reproduce exactly the same sonic characteristics of preset made with one synth using another, even if copy exact settings - definitely each sound designer stuff is different,it's like personality,they may sound close to each other,but personal preferences,experience,mood,influence,mix so many factors which sometimes are just two knobs turned differently make each preset unique,i can argue about it with hours cuz was blamed that i almost cheat making similar presets and don't see how could explain in details the small stuff that sometimes can make big difference,as there is one joke, ones somebody say you sister is whore go explain you don't have a sister hahaha...

Along with Serum people are using Tone2 synths more then admitted like Electra2

drdriller wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:17 pm
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:06 pm weak spots like sterile filters
the new Dist and Scream filters from Serum 124 update are nice :)
interesting,Serum is digi synth at all,no analog spirit in it if you ask me,which isn't bad thing when you make modern EDM ,ordinary EDM listener use to hear Sylenth1,Spire or Serum sounds and have no interest about vintage analog hardware sound,i like the modern hybrid sound between analog and digital,best of both worlds :)

Hive and Dune 3 are the bees knees.

Avenger is for EDM but its buggy at least to me on MAC and CPU heavy. I feel like Dune 3 is a tad more for trance but actually doesnt matter what Dune 3 is for its the shit. Should get it regardless.

Define best...

All of the synths so far mentioned are commercial ware. What about Synth 1 for the newbs?
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

AnX wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:18 pm don't most new synths bloat the factory banks out with 'edm' sounds?

i cant think of any standard synth that cant make those sounds, old or new, free or commercial
Being able to make such sounds isn't the same as excelling at such sounds. I can also make EDM with Steinberg Neon, but, i'll probably have a hard time with layering hundred instances for a single sound, dozens of host automations, and EQ'ing the shit out of it to make it sound remotely right.

chk071 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:28 am
AnX wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:18 pm don't most new synths bloat the factory banks out with 'edm' sounds?

i cant think of any standard synth that cant make those sounds, old or new, free or commercial
Being able to make such sounds isn't the same as excelling at such sounds. I can also make EDM with Steinberg Neon, but, i'll probably have a hard time with layering hundred instances for a single sound, dozens of host automations, and EQ'ing the shit out of it to make it sound remotely right.
i was thinking of something slightly more advanced than neon, but you already knew that.

I think i'll take the challenge, where can i find NEON :D
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

Found it...
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

Few layers of Synth1 with tones of fx is all you need to do EDM for free :)
https://velltone.wixsite.com/velltone/freebirdz

I would say Dune 3 and Hive 1.2 (soon to be Hive 2).

djanthonyw wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:38 pm I always thought Serum sounded quite sterile.
Hideously sterile. Unmusically sterile.

As a sound designer it is not my favourite synth at all.

But since EDM especially in the traditional 'main stage' guise relies on big, brash, clean sounds I can see why it reigns supreme in the EDM circle. Thus its weakness becomes its strength for that role.
Sample Packs, Synth Presets, VST plugins, Effects and Synth VSTs all available at https://www.sound7.co.uk

Serum is outstanding, but needs some extra nosiy distortion to tame loud partials. Ableton Erosion with sine modulation seems to fix that problem.

Will come back to you when the hard trance remix is ready ;)
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

SOUND7 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:23 am
djanthonyw wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:38 pm I always thought Serum sounded quite sterile.
Hideously sterile. Unmusically sterile.

As a sound designer it is not my favourite synth at all.

But since EDM especially in the traditional 'main stage' guise relies on big, brash, clean sounds I can see why it reigns supreme in the EDM circle. Thus its weakness becomes its strength for that role.
I think the sterile sound is a result of the waveforms and people generally use combined with the generous overuse of OTT.

You can get more organic sounds out of it by using some of the less perfect waveforms/wavetables, adding some randomness with LFO and some of the functions (sync, bend, asym), experimenting with different filters (or no filters) and using internal and external processing and EQ.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”