Best new synths for EDM?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know EDM is vast term and the sound of modern music is more synthetic and modulated than ever.
Sylenth1 rule vst world for a decade,but there is a lot more powerful vst synths now.
Not sure what is happening with hardware but i guess it's the same situation.
If you have any favorite vst or hardware synths you think are 'best' for EDM genre,
please share opinion.Thanks.

after sylenth1 & massive, the trend is now on serum

Spire. Easily.
"If less is more, just think of how much more, more will be".

As far as I See Serum is the one Mainstream Darling, the most popular.
Literally every producer I personally know Owns it and uses it, it's become like the Photoshop of Plugins in EDM, taking the crown from what used to be a dual-power in Sylenth1 and Massive from 2008-2015.

That being said there isn't necessarily a "Best" EDM Synth. EDM is more about sound design then anything. You can get all the EDM sounds you need out of Stock Ableton Synths if you know what you are doing really.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

hive, zebra, diva, ace

AnX wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:56 pm hive, zebra, diva, ace
Oof, Poor Brazille.
F

Spencer Maddox wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:43 pm As far as I See Serum is the one Mainstream Darling, the most popular.
Literally every producer I personally know Owns it and uses it, it's become like the Photoshop of Plugins in EDM, taking the crown from what used to be a dual-power in Sylenth1 and Massive from 2008-2015.

That being said there isn't necessarily a "Best" EDM Synth. EDM is more about sound design then anything. You can get all the EDM sounds you need out of Stock Ableton Synths if you know what you are doing really.
Yep Serum is must have for multitask EDM but still have weak spots like sterile filters,only two main osc so on, it definitely point the new edm direction of synths,but wonder if you have to decide between Serum and Rapid what would be?The new upcoming Massive X is interesting as well :)

I am buying Serum since it's first day,but start too many projects for Sylenth1 and both Synthmasters - i don't know why didn't bought it,i'm kind of filter lover and it doesn't impress me much for now in this direction,otherwise it's very capable and produce very 'smooth' sound.
Probably when Massive X is released will do comparison between two and gonna take the winner :)Cheerz :)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:06 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:43 pm As far as I See Serum is the one Mainstream Darling, the most popular.

Yep Serum is must have for multitask EDM but still have weak spots like sterile filters,only two main osc so on, it definitely point the new edm direction of synths,but wonder if you have to decide between Serum and Rapid what would be?The new upcoming Massive X is interesting as well :)
I actually Really like Rapid. I think it does a few things better then Serum, and if somone wants to debate the two I'll easily admit that it has some extra features I wish Serum had . Just I have SOOOOOO many Wavetable synths right now so I've yet to buy it. As for Massive X, I'm really interested in that. Massive is a Legend, even 11 years later, that everyone knows one way or another, and NI has the resources to heavily market it to the masses so its in a good position to be a very successful plugin. Will it have the Raw Power to make people move from Serum however is yet to be clearly answered for me.

Serious upcoming battle between the two :)

I always thought Serum sounded quite sterile.
You are currently reading my signature.

Of all the ones I demoed recently, I liked Dune 3's sound the best, but I am a sucker for the trancey sounds. Rapid did sound good as well, a bit more aggressive than Avenger, which I own and whose functionality at least is in a different league, if not sound.

It also depends on what genre of EDM you are talking about - will it benefit from the wave warping and free form LFO capabilities of Serum or are you more about chord stacking and ethereal plucks?

But really there are so many options today, you will sound good regardless. I tend to gravitate towards ones that have lots of tutorials, feature in templates and have a large preset base.

You are what you eat in music could be translated as:
your music is your combinations of synths,i catch myself that depending of the synth the ideas and inspiration is different,
some synths like Sylenth1 make you think and feel EDM-ish,Trans-ish somehow or at least i'm like that,
probably is subjective or just there is too much trancy sound taken out of it circulating around...

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:06 pm weak spots like sterile filters
the new Dist and Scream filters from Serum 124 update are nice :)

don't most new synths bloat the factory banks out with 'edm' sounds?

i cant think of any standard synth that cant make those sounds, old or new, free or commercial

if you learn to program sounds yourself, you could save a lot of money

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”