Which Software is Better?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

edit

Spencer Maddox wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:12 pm
AnX wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:08 pm assuming you are under 18, like all fl/reason users, your best bet is to grow the f**k up and use a real host.
This is the worst take I’ve seen on KVR in quite sometime and that’s genuinely impressive considering some of the stuff I see.
Well Done ANX :clap:

I see you Mr Anonymous internet person, is the real pro correct? And all these people who’ve made millions of of making top songs with FL and Reason are children?

any chance you can translate that into English?

donkey tugger wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:17 pm
AnX wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:08 pm assuming you are under 18, like all fl/reason users, your best bet is to grow the f**k up and use a real host.
Still only 49. I think 50 will be old enough to go back to Cubarse.

nobody goes back to cubarse :wink:

AnX wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:19 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:12 pm
This is the worst take I’ve seen on KVR in quite sometime and that’s genuinely impressive considering some of the stuff I see.
Well Done ANX :clap:

I see you Mr Anonymous internet person, is the real pro correct? And all these people who’ve made millions of of making top songs with FL and Reason are children?

any chance you can translate that into English?
Sorry.
I made a few mistakes.
Should have a comma after “I see you”
I ment millions “OFF” of using.
And a “Take” is just a modern term for opinion

Im going to make it a bit easier however instead of rewriting my entire sentence and fixing those and just Paraphrasing my point...

*Ahem*

Don’t be a Tool.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

This is an especially stupid comment considering OP likes to mock up tracks on their phone and both of these hosts have apps that allow you to make things and then transfer them to your PC to continue working on them. FL is by far the cheapest option out there if you want this workflow.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Greenstorm33 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:36 pm
This is an especially stupid comment considering OP likes to mock up tracks on their phone and both of these hosts have apps that allow you to make things and then transfer them to your PC to continue working on them. In fact they are the only hosts I know of that offer this functionality.
I love how he didint even know how to answer my point so he just made some hamfisted jab at my spelling (that I’ll admit when I’m on mobile like I am can be pretty terrible)

And yea your right on the mark. Cubase can too.
But with an IPad not an IPhone (or Android)
So probally not relevant to OP.

flatorange6690 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:55 am Reason or Fl Studio? I've heard good things about both, but don't know which is better for me. I make midis on my phone then transfer them to my laptop. I also own an Edirol SD-90, so I want to buy something that's compatible with it.
I love Reason but the way it imports midi is tedious. It opens up a default ID8 instrument each time which you then have to replace with the instrument you want to use.

If you're importing a lot of midi from your phone I'd try the 30 day free demo first to check you can live with the way it imports midi.

?? people under 18 don't even know about reason existence...

I prefer FL Studio, it has VST support since 1999, Reason decided to do it only in 2017. :dog:
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download.

ATS wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:01 am demo each - thread over
Yep. They probably couldn't be further from each other, so, it's kind of like asking what is better, a bus or a compact car. It really depends on your needs. You'll also learn a lot about DAW's in the process, and probably will be much more likely to find the one which suits you best in the end.

Spencer Maddox wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:12 pmAnd all these people who’ve made millions of of making top songs with FL and Reason are children?
Like who? Some of these people may use these kinds of products at some point in their workflow but I'd be very surprised if too many artists have ever had any serious commercial success working entirely within either application. e.g. I remember reading an article on Propellerheads site about how The Prodigy were working with Reason (a long time ago, before it had VST support) and it turned out that Liam Howlett used it to jot down ideas before moving to Pro Tools to make these ideas into full songs.

I'd also point out that most artists making millions churn out absolute garbage and you can do that in any host application.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I would advise against investing in Reason, sure demo it but think twice before jumping onboard compared to FL, Ableton, Cubase, Logic. Depends on what kind of music maker you are obv but it is in a bit of a frankenstein state atm and I would argue more aimed for hobbyists.

BONES wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:29 am
Spencer Maddox wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:12 pmAnd all these people who’ve made millions of of making top songs with FL and Reason are children?
Like who? Some of these people may use these kinds of products at some point in their workflow but I'd be very surprised if too many artists have ever had any serious commercial success working entirely within either application. e.g. I remember reading an article on Propellerheads site about how The Prodigy were working with Reason (a long time ago, before it had VST support) and it turned out that Liam Howlett used it to jot down ideas before moving to Pro Tools to make these ideas into full songs.
You're right, they don't. Same as in virtually any other DAW. At some point, there's always another DAW involved, be it Pro Tools, or even Wavelab.

I'd assume that Spencer Maddox and others mean the actual track creating process though, not mastering, or CD production.

BONES wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:29 am

I'd also point out that most artists making millions churn out absolute garbage and you can do that in any host application.
And just how you can make garbage in any application you can make great music.
I find it ironic that people are sitting on forums criticizing people who’ve made millions with programs like FL and Reason and made wonderful music that’s captivated millions, for using “inferior” programs.
And I get it, Reason has a lot of shortcomings. Visual, workflow, you name it. But it has its Charm and Its fun.
FL to a lesser extent but honestly FL has gotten really good.

But seriously, music is music. If FL works for someone who am I to criticize.
It’s ridiculous and I see it on this forum so often.
There’s no such thing as a Bad Daw if the music you make is great

Also “Garbage” is subjective.

The thing is, music that "captivates millions" is generally commercial garbage that no-one will remember in a generation. It's not better or worse than a million other things, it just happens to have mass appeal, where music some others make does not. e.g. Is Justin Bieber's music "better" than that of Nitzer Ebb of VNV Nation? Financial success is in no way a measure of the worth of one piece over another and, more often than not, it is music that appeals to the LCD that is most successful, commercially. Music that asks anything of the listener will rarely do well, no matter how good it might be.

At the end of the day, though, whichever host application you choose will have little or no bearing on the quality of the final output. These days that is almost entirely down to the plugins you use. What your host does is either to help you or hinder you in the process of creating that quality final output, but you'll always get there in the end if you know what you're doing.
chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:56 amYou're right, they don't. Same as in virtually any other DAW. At some point, there's always another DAW involved, be it Pro Tools, or even Wavelab.
Clearly that's not what I meant. What I was talking about was the main application that gets the job done. That we choose to master in Ozone standalone, for example, means nothing because by the time we get to that point we have already done 99.9% of the hard work in Orion. I do it that way because mastering is a different process that requires a different approach/headspace and it works better for my tiny brain if I do it separately. I could run Ozone in the master channel if I wanted to but it makes more sense to me to do it separately - I make one lot of decisions about the mix, then a separate lot of decisions about mastering.

The point is that it is highly unlikely that too many people have made a lot of money working purely, or even primarily, within either FL Studio or Reason.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”