Best all in one synth for beginners?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dim Vision wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:49 pm Speaking from experience, my own beginner's journey has been characterised by a lack of constraint, GAS, Analysis Paralysis, improper focus and unrealistic expectations. As a consequence I've inhibited the progression I might have gained through deliberate, persistent practice. Instead, I've clung to the comfort of knowledge and gear acquisition, and have never really moved beyond the stage of conscious incompetence.

Close acquaintance with particular synthesisers and a fundamental understanding of several synthesis types has not immunised me from the frustration and inevitability of meeting my incompetence face-to-face. Eventually, the knowledge I've acquired must be applied, and here is where certain tendencies arise: to attribute my frustrated efforts to the shortcomings of a particular synthesiser, or to suspect that the answers are to be found in the right book, forum or video someplace, somewhere.

This strikes me as largely a mechanism of avoidance and a fear of moving outside of my comfort zone, and perhaps the fear of discovering that my own limits are more bounded than I would have hoped for. What's more, it is a mechanism which serves to additionally increase the overall sense of paralysis and to yield an even deeper and more troubling frustration — one relating to the value and utility of the whole enterprise.

As a beginner, I have found that the most challenging aspect of designing sounds for use in music is to develop an ability to generate specific timbres — or at least, timbres I find interesting — with an acceptable degree of intent. Some people may find satisfaction in hours spent noodling with parameters until something agreeable emerges, but personally I become discouraged and intimidated by the recognition that I have no idea where I'm going or how to get there, even when I know how to operate just about every parameter at my disposal — even the more esoteric functions.

I would say that if you are like me, you will suffer less and grow more if you impose constraint upon yourself, or even better, if you additionally have it imposed upon you by others — both of which are, unfortunately, challenges unto themselves. With suitable constraint I believe it would be easier to develop this sense of direction and intent more readily, given that the number of places you can go is curtailed by the limitations of the synthesiser.

It's exciting to open up a new synthesiser like Massive X — so much seeming potential and possibility — but with the eyes of a beginner, this experience is somewhat like that of a child walking into the cockpit of a commercial airliner — is that a sense of wonder you're feeling? Intimidation? Maybe you simply have the urge to press buttons and see what happens. In any case, you aren't ready to direct the airliner anywhere but into the ocean or into the side of a mountain — if you can even get it off the ground, that is.

If you're able to resolve to limit yourself to a more humble, simpler synthesiser, you will also likely have to contend with the temptation to be lured off in the aforementioned directions — namely, on the path toward further knowledge and gear acquisition, without having really pushed the boundaries of what you have at your disposal — perhaps even after only having dipped a toe. In this respect, those who have constraint imposed upon them externally have a kind of paradoxical, good fortune. I've always admired those whom can work with what little they have, but in another sense I've envied their position — they often have little to no other choice. Temptation and choice simply aren't on the cards.
Blah blah blah!! All that bloody guff and you still didn't get 'round to telling him what synth you think he needs :roll: :roll:

Just kidding! Enjoyed the post :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:10 pm Blah blah blah!! All that bloody guff and you still didn't get 'round to telling him what synth you think he needs :roll: :roll:

I do tend to carry on!

Dim Vision wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:25 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:10 pm Blah blah blah!! All that bloody guff and you still didn't get 'round to telling him what synth you think he needs :roll: :roll:

I do tend to carry on!
I really was joking. I read it all :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:44 pm

I do tend to carry on!
Really ?!? You really did ?!?
WOW !
ImageImage
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Dim Vision wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:49 pm Speaking from experience, my own beginner's journey has been characterised by a lack of constraint, GAS, Analysis Paralysis, improper focus and unrealistic expectations. As a consequence I've inhibited the progression I might have gained through deliberate, persistent practice. Instead, I've clung to the comfort of knowledge and gear acquisition, and have never really moved beyond the stage of conscious incompetence...
I read it all as well :wink: And the thoughts presented here are very common for everyone all over our lives, not just regarding the gradual learning process for synths. :) Thank you for sharing!

BlackWinny wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:53 pm

I do tend to carry on!
WOW !
ImageImage
:o

:hihi:

Dim Vision wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:49 pm Speaking from experience, my own beginner's journey has been characterised by a lack of constraint, GAS, Analysis Paralysis, improper focus and unrealistic expectations. As a consequence I've inhibited the progression I might have gained through deliberate, persistent practice. Instead, I've clung to the comfort of knowledge and gear acquisition, and have never really moved beyond the stage of conscious incompetence.

Close acquaintance with particular synthesisers and a fundamental understanding of several synthesis types has not immunised me from the frustration and inevitability of meeting my incompetence face-to-face. Eventually, the knowledge I've acquired must be applied, and here is where certain tendencies arise: to attribute my frustrated efforts to the shortcomings of a particular synthesiser, or to suspect that the answers are to be found in the right book, forum or video someplace, somewhere.

This strikes me as largely a mechanism of avoidance and a fear of moving outside of my comfort zone, and perhaps the fear of discovering that my own limits are more bounded than I would have hoped for. What's more, it is a mechanism which serves to additionally increase the overall sense of paralysis and to yield an even deeper and more troubling frustration — one relating to the value and utility of the whole enterprise.

As a beginner, I have found that the most challenging aspect of designing sounds for use in music is to develop an ability to generate specific timbres — or at least, timbres I find interesting — with an acceptable degree of intent. Some people may find satisfaction in hours spent noodling with parameters until something agreeable emerges, but personally I become discouraged and intimidated by the recognition that I have no idea where I'm going or how to get there, even when I know how to operate just about every parameter at my disposal — even the more esoteric functions.

I would say that if you are like me, you will suffer less and grow more if you impose constraint upon yourself, or even better, if you additionally have it imposed upon you by others — both of which are, unfortunately, challenges unto themselves. With suitable constraint I believe it would be easier to develop this sense of direction and intent more readily, given that the number of places you can go is curtailed by the limitations of the synthesiser.

It's exciting to open up a new synthesiser like Massive X — so much seeming potential and possibility — but with the eyes of a beginner, this experience is somewhat like that of a child walking into the cockpit of a commercial airliner — is that a sense of wonder you're feeling? Intimidation? Maybe you simply have the urge to press buttons and see what happens. In any case, you aren't ready to direct the airliner anywhere but into the ocean or into the side of a mountain — if you can even get it off the ground, that is.

If you're able to resolve to limit yourself to a more humble, simpler synthesiser, you will also likely have to contend with the temptation to be lured off in the aforementioned directions — namely, on the path toward further knowledge and gear acquisition, without having really pushed the boundaries of what you have at your disposal — perhaps even after only having dipped a toe. In this respect, those who have constraint imposed upon them externally have a kind of paradoxical, good fortune. I've always admired those whom can work with what little they have, but in another sense I've envied their position — they often have little to no other choice. Temptation and choice simply aren't on the cards.
This really, really hit home. Thanks for articulating it so concisely.

Going to give a little shoutout to Sylenth1 as well.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:08 am

I do tend to carry on!
WOW !
ImageImage

I was kidding, of course.
:lol:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:40 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:08 am

I do tend to carry on!
WOW !
ImageImage

I was kidding, of course.
:lol:
:tu:

kovacsszandra wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:33 am
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:45 am Take Synthmaster One,there will be a lot more cool presets in default factory with upcoming updates.
For a newbie is Synthmaster a better choice then? I see Serum is preferred by many here, but is more expensive and is apparently notorious for its high CPU usage.
Take Synthmaster One, definately worth lot more than 25-26 euro, in case you wanna make music seriously :)My new stuff for it will be released soon and there will be few more after that,already made 2400 presets last two years,if willing to donate 10 euro for it check here,available till 1st August:
https://velltone.wixsite.com/velltone/presets

Phaseplant.It can introduce a person to all the usual suspects & be as simple or complicated as you like
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hahahah thank you sir,market is oversaturated and have to promote when and where it is possible,it's offer that u can't see every day - 10 000 presets for 10 euro :):):)Cheers :)

less than 24 hours before 10 000 presets to be discontinued permanently.Over 5 years hard work,i give it away cuz if like these you gonna love new ones.Cheers :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”