What reverb do I need (and for which occasions)? A question and conversation.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m not interested in simulating real spaces so I tend to keep away from convolution reverb. Even though they can sound really good. I prefer the predictability of algo reverbs.. and the ‘fake’ sound. I’m more into adding effects before and after it.

Yeah, convolution reverbs are so convoluted... I like my garage though...

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:26 pm Reverb as a mixing tool moved a sound toward the back of a mix. Use predelay and sync it to your bpm (there's free online websites that'll calculate the ms based on bpm) to have it blend better. Or don't, if you want it to stand out.
Do you happen to have a link to one of those ?

Noobish wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:00 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:26 pm Reverb as a mixing tool moved a sound toward the back of a mix. Use predelay and sync it to your bpm (there's free online websites that'll calculate the ms based on bpm) to have it blend better. Or don't, if you want it to stand out.
Do you happen to have a link to one of those ?
You mean a calculator like the examples below?

https://nickfever.com/Music/delay-calculator

App
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/delay- ... -by-liqube

Yes !

Thank you very much :)

Actually convolution reverbs can be quite good, but you need to consider context and look at them slightly differently.

They’re very good if you want to reproduce certain acoustic environments, like a stage, or a club, or a concert hall, or other places. It works great for things like orchestras or jazz ensembles or reproducing the live stage or studio experience for bands, deejays and rappers. You do need to a bit of hunting to find the right space for your project. A concert hall might be a concert hall, or maybe the town hall just sounds better in context. What you use isn’t as important as how you use it though.

I like IR-1’s spaces quite a lot, but it’s UI can be a bit tedious. I’m hoping it gets an update some time soon. Logic’s doesn’t have all the features, but it does have a lot of spaces to choose from and sounds good also.

Plates, chambers are good for achieving that generic sound that fits in a lot easier with a mix, so it tends to be more intuitive and easier to work with. It’s just not always the best choice depending on the context.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”