What reverb do I need (and for which occasions)? A question and conversation.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Heya!

QUESTION
Just downloaded convologyXT (free) for it's frequency specific decay rate options BUT i've never really properly used convolution reverb and don't know where to start...?

A big part of finding the right sound is experimentation BUT considering there's WAY TOO MANY free impulse responses out there I thought i'd ask for some help here and perhaps start a new discussion altogether, so no wrong questions, answers or opinions here :)

I'm looking for track specific impulse responses. Think reverbs for; vocals, drums, bass (yes bass xD send>LOcut), guitar, synths and so on.

I know alot of reverb types are linked to specific genre's: Spring Reverb > Surf Rock, digital reverbs > 80s/90s pop etc etc

I'm hoping to get some recommendations for impulse responses befitting my music. I make a wide array of music styles as I'm a producer (in the older sense) working for and with alot of people BUT when i make music for myself it's mostly experimental urban music (terrible name) 'ala' James Blake meets Flying Lotus meets Connan Mockasin meets Monte Booker meets Mike Dean...

So I'm not looking for a specific sound but mainly 5 to 8 impulse responses that'll completely cover all my reverb needs and are diverse enough for different types of genres.
I'm pretty sure i won't need more than that BUT please do try to convince me if i'm wrong
Also hoping to find out if anyone has some kind of overview of what reverb types/units/styles/plugins are used for which genres, decades and perhaps with some sound examples?
I could only find these two; https://blog.landr.com/what-is-reverb/ X https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ght-reverb but neither go really deep into specific types and genres..

CONVERSATION
I've never been particularly great at understanding and using reverb. Beyond tweaking different room sizes/shapes, adjusting predelay, decay time, dry/wet mixing and eq'ing unwanted frequencies to taste with Fruity Reverb 2, my knowledge of reverb is WEAK.

People talk about different reverbs (digital, real halls, springs, plates etc) like there' s a night and day difference... And i just don't have that.
Well, ofcourse i can hear the difference between a spring reverb and a hall etc BUT how much of a difference is there for instance between: eventide hall simulation and a Pro-R simulation? And if there really is some kind of difference; can't a little eq make up for this?
Of course there's a difference in algorithms but how much of a "upfront" role does reverb REALLY play in the majority of mixes?? Reverb is mostly more of a flavour adder/space maker, not requiring much of ones hearing attention, right?

Distortion i can understand; I can clearly hear a BIG difference between a big muff and a fuzz face. And there's nothing an EQ can do to make up for the difference between these two...

Tell me if I sound like a nutcase or if you feel like some of this holds some merit??

Let's talk REVERB :D

Just get the free Dragonfly reverb and forget impuls responses. A reverb is meant to place the,dry sound into a space. Thats it. Of course in the past you‘d need to pull out some tricks if you didn‘t have a real hall. Plates and springs at that times had the reputation of sounding awfull (compared to the real hall) and the discussion was about which one sounds less awfull... That created of course its own sound which could become the signature sound for certain styles...
Or in short words, ignore the rules for styles and use your ears... If you like it, take it or tweak it. And there is much more to tweak on algorithmic reverbs...

As you say, loads of convolution IRs out there, of varying quality. One really good (free, but with donation option) set I use a lot is;

http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/

Loads of variations, nicely grouped, and good quality. There's a couple of 'drum room' named ones (although many of the rooms will also do a good job), and also some vocal plates which I tend to use all the time. Some nice halls and longer outdoor type stuff too for when you need some special effects type of thing where you want the reverb to be more obtrusive. A good place to start.

I once made my own in a small very nice sounding church. At one point the neighbour came in while the sweeps where sounding and complained...; - )
I still fire mostly an algorithmic reverb...

I also prefer a good analog modeled classic algorithmic reverb, because it's what my ears got used to along years of music listening.
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download.

For which occasions, that's an interesting question. I'm still learning too and I use 3 types of reverb usually: 1st, a small room (convolution reverb) for drums. 2nd, and sometimes last one, a big hall with long tail (algorithmic or not) for all other instruments - sends are different in volume. And 3rd type, a bit smaller hall (medium church, room, hall) for foreground instruments. Let me know if my approach needs improvements.

im using a couple of springs and will be adding an erbe verb next week :)
on the floor I have an eqd transmisser and obne dark star at the min.

Reverb as a mixing tool moved a sound toward the back of a mix. Use predelay and sync it to your bpm (there's free online websites that'll calculate the ms based on bpm) to have it blend better. Or don't, if you want it to stand out.

Convolution verb is good especially if you're using real instruments and want them to sound as if in a real space. Otherwise I find it simpler to just use a Valhalla plug (vintage being my favorite).

Often a delay synced to the bpm can sound better because it won't add "wash" (reverb tails) that can muddy the mix if not controlled.

Find videos online about mixing with reverb or pay. Matthew Weiss has a long video series on reverb I can recommend (not free).

1. Convolution reverb for realistic spaces - I use Convolution Reverb from Ableton with no extra gimmicks.
2. Smooth algorithmic reverb for lush pads and general ambience - I use Eventide Black Hole on a sum of all melodic instruments.
3. Big algo reverb for huge leads? Don't have one, but feel like I need it.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:39 pm 1. Convolution reverb for realistic spaces - I use Convolution Reverb from Ableton with no extra gimmicks.
2. Smooth algorithmic reverb for lush pads and general ambience - I use Eventide Black Hole on a sum of all melodic instruments.
3. Big algo reverb for huge leads? Don't have one, but feel like I need it.
I actually like Live's default verb. Is convolution (M4L?) better? I have used it one time on a snare that I made up for an assignment in music class because the prof. recommended it. I didn't like it. :(

If anyone is looking to buy Slate Digital Verbsuite Classics, send me a PM. I just bought it and was stupid enough not to check the requirements and it turns out it requires an iLok USB....Just registered so I can't make a topic in the buy and sell either. If anyone is interested let me know.

Valhalla vintage + valhalla room

Second on the Valhalla stuff (I used Room, Vintage, and Plate)
Choice between which style to go with is really just taste and depends on source material

No offense intended, but, don't think that you can replace years of experience with a 5 minutes question on the net. Especially when the replies come from people with different opinion on the topic, and with very different experience levels. I don't claim i'm different (actually, the opposite, i completely lack experience), it's just that i want to save you wasted time. Just like with synthesizers, in my opinion, it is very different to make your own experiences, and your make up your own mind. Use what sounds good for the sounds you make. Sounds easy, but, i think that's the best way to get where you want to be really.

P.S.: I never use convolution reverb, and i also think it has absolutely zero use for the kind of stuff i make. There's that. As you can see, it's highly subjective, and really depends on the use case.

As DT mentioned...the Bricasti impulses are superb. There are sets of Lexicon impulses easily available that are neatly divided into rooms/halls/plates etc. You can get 480L set or PCM80 set...both great. You'll read about some people pooh poohing impulse reverb because it's static, but if all you have access to is cheapo reverb, then IRs are quite a big step up from any of them. I come from a h/w background and Lexicon were hugely better than any of the equivalent boxes for a long time...even the cheap Lexicons were streaks ahead. I tried many s/w reverbs and sorry, I just find most of them tinny and artificial compared to good ones like Lexi or Bricasti etc. And then you can use real space IRs if you want. There are also some great artificial ones...look out for EMT plate IRs.
I'm on my tablet, so links are a pain to fetch, but KvR has thread on IRs in FX and you should find links to these IRs there. For me, the Bricasti, the PCM80 and EMT plates cover pretty well everything withou getting bogged down in thousands of IRs. From what you say, you don't want to spend years honing your skills on perfecting reverb (I absolutely get that), and tbh it can be pretty fiddly getting decent reverb from algorithmic s/w.
Everyone has personal tastes...for me, I just don't rate most s/w algorithmic reverbs. It's like when you eat decent chocolate, you're not going to make do with shite like Hershey's right? And if like most of us, you can't afford a Lexicon box, or the Lexicon s/w then IRs are your obvious next call.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”