Looking for a very basic, pleasant to use freeware synth

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AIR Vacuum Pro
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Cableguys Curve should do the job, since it allows you to have every oscillator shape imaginable. There is also a CM version of it and if I remember correctly a quite fully functional demo version as well.

BTW, isn't the "rare" triangle shape not just a 50/50 mix of saw and rectangle anyways?

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:36 pm BTW, isn't the "rare" triangle shape not just a 50/50 mix of saw and rectangle anyways?
Sort of off topic...

A triangle contains only odd partials with amplitude 1/(rank squared)

A saw contains all partials (odd and even) with amplitude 1/rank
A square is a saw without the even partials (so odds only).

So mixing a saw with a square will not result in a triangle since the mix contains even partials (and there is way too much energy/amplitude in the higher ranking partials).

A low pass filtered square can approximate a triangle.

^ True enough. Not after an "approximated" triangle, though.

As it happens, I found something pretty much perfect... I think... but it's not available any more. Zeus 6, it was called. Looks like it should do literally everything I need.

So, if anyone knows if I can still get that somehow, or otoh, another synth that resembles that in terms of features? Thanks in advance.

I've been making do with something close-ish, btw, but it's still extremely annoying that such a simple combination of old-school synth features is out of bounds within any (other) single VSTi ...
Last edited by kvotchin on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm also looking for this. But I want such synth to be a replica of a real instrument.
Is there any list of free synths that are the same as real synths? Please only 64bit.

Good replicas such as those from Arturia's V Collection, or u-he's Repro, are not free.

A few freebies come to mind, but they are not exact replicas, only inspired by originals, such as:
Synth1 (Clavia Nord Lead)
OB-Xd (Oberheim OBX)
u-he Tyrell N6 (Roland Juno), based on analog modeling

Good luck finding something that meets all my criteria (even though this is simple as heck, or by rights should be...) *and* is a precise emulation of a vintage hardware synth. Oh, and is free.

I doubt it exists. Even the first of those things, in fact...

But as for emulations, yeah, there's tons of those around. You can generally use 32-bit synths pretty easily, btw.

Atlantis by Jeremy Evers like Surge is criminally underrated and amazingly versatile.

Helm by Matt Tytell is a great free synth and one of the absolute best ever considering the gui and the way modulation works.

And as far as replicas I just wanted to mention that Viking VT1 by Blaumsoft is free and possibly the best mini Moog emulation out there.

Tyrell N6 for me. Great synth!

Or Synth 1. Lovely sound!

kvotchin wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:40 pm Good luck finding something that meets all my criteria (even though this is simple as heck, or by rights should be...) *and* is a precise emulation of a vintage hardware synth. Oh, and is free.

I doubt it exists. Even the first of those things, in fact...
I guess we can all stop looking and suggesting then?

Somehow you can't be satisfied with the many great options that are currently avalailable (many of them FREE).

Kwurqx wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:31 amI guess we can all stop looking and suggesting then?

Somehow you can't be satisfied with the many great options that are currently avalailable (many of them FREE).
I have specific criteria, though they are hardly exotic or demanding. So far, there is not even one VST synth that meets them.

It's not a matter of being satisfied with "great options", etc. None of them meets those basic criteria. Simple as that.

By all means, go your own way, and if you are so compelled, feel condescending or dismissive as you leave.

But if anyone else wishes to look, or suggest something, that would be up to them, not you.

Have a nice day!.

Michael L wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:35 amAre you trolling everyone?
:P
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Michael L wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:48 am
Michael L wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:35 amAre you trolling everyone?
:P
No, and furthermore, if that's all you have to say, it simply goes to show you agree that there is nothing out there that meets the criteria.

Which is fine - and you'd be right - but there's no need to hide your admitting that behind such cliched accusations.

kvotchin wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:42 am
It's not a matter of being satisfied with "great options", etc. None of them meets those basic criteria. Simple as that.
Would you mind re-publishing your list of criteria in one post please? The scope creep following the original post is difficult to keep up with. A simple list would do. Thanks!

kvotchin wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:42 am
Kwurqx wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:31 amI guess we can all stop looking and suggesting then?

I have specific criteria, though they are hardly exotic or demanding. So far, there is not even one VST synth that meets them.

By all means, go your own way, and if you are so compelled, feel condescending or dismissive as you leave.

But if anyone else wishes to look, or suggest something, that would be up to them, not you.

Have a nice day!.
You surely have a very distinctive way to try and get people to help you find a solution to your problem.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”