Mixing volume sliders

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Newbie here.... maybe a silly question, when I open the mixing console, and try to mix the volume of the tracks, nothing happens, no matter if I drop a track volume all the way down, if it’s clipping, it still clips!! So.... how can you mix a song? And if there’s a way, can we automate the sliders? To move up or down? Let’s Say when a solo is coming?

fernee wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:43 am Newbie here.... maybe a silly question, when I open the mixing console, and try to mix the volume of the tracks, nothing happens, no matter if I drop a track volume all the way down, if it’s clipping, it still clips!! So.... how can you mix a song?
Which DAW are you using (FL Studio, Logic, Cubase, Ableton...etc)???
I can only imagine, that you are moving the wrong fader...
The sound must be routed somewhere (to a track and then to the master) and these are the faders you have to move...
And if there’s a way, can we automate the sliders? To move up or down? Let’s Say when a solo is coming?
Every DAW lets you automate the faders...
But again, how to do depends on what DAW you are trying to work in...

Samplitude does this, where the volume fader controls midi volume by default, you have to manually change it to control the actual audio output from the track.
Could be user error as well.

It’s Waveform 8

fernee wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:43 am... I drop a track volume all the way down, if it’s clipping, it still clips!! ...
Perhaps best to find out first why it's clipping. What signal(s) is/are clipping?

Let’s see, I have an imported midi song in Waveform 8, with about 10 tracks, drums, piano, strings, and so on...I assigned instruments to every track, most of those are the Collective plugin, but I downloaded some others, and it sounds nice, but I can see about 4 or 5 tracks clipping....
So I opened the mixing console, and adjusted the volume, and that’s what is not happening, move the sliders all the way down, and is still the same output volume, and the same clipping...
It happens with other songs as well

fernee wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:13 pm... I can see about 4 or 5 tracks clipping....
Probably clipping occurs b/c output level of some instruments at source are too hot.
fernee wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:13 pm... adjusted the volume, and that’s what is not happening, move the sliders all the way down, and is still the same output volume ...
Please make a screenshot of the mixer view and post it here.

here´s the screenshot.... in track 3, the volume is down and the clipping is still there, I drop an EQ to Lower the output, but it’s not working
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fernee wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:01 am here´s the screenshot....
Reorder the 'Volume & Pan Plugin' in every channel to last position.

Etienne1973 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:00 pm
fernee wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:01 am here´s the screenshot....
Reorder the 'Volume & Pan Plugin' in every channel to last position.
Yes, he has put volume before the instrument - which of course is not working, because in Waveform, it is not even MIDI volume.

Volume is supposed to be at the end of the plugin chain in the track. The signal is flowing from left to right in the track and top-down in the console, you put instrument first, then effects, then volume/pan and level meter.

Edit: but in the picture, volume on track 3 is not 'down', it's halfway up, so... try to be more attentive and accurate.
Last edited by perfumer on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

double!

perfumer wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:31 pmThe signal is flowing from left to right in the track and top-down in the console, you put instrument first, then effects, then volume/pan and level meter.
You are absolutely correct with 'Lever Meter' at last position after prober gain staging is done in every individual track. I only guess OP has some clipping going on pre fader.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”