EQ

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Live's EQ8 80% of times, Channel EQ (can't wait for 10.1 to finally drop!) & Slate Custom Series EQ for most of the rest. Pro-Q3 for more precision & Gullfoss because magic.
Frequently changing DAW of choice...

Yep good old fashioned Logic Channel EQ is still handy, low CPU, it’s what I use on a lot of secondary or minor elements that don’t need any special treatment.

IK EQual and Waves H-EQ are my workhorses on major elements as the have a number of filter emulations to choose from. bx_hybrid and Neutron is another workhorse for transparent and surgical operations. Neutron is especially handy for slot of problem solving.

Then there is any number of “flavour” plugins from Waves, IK or PA.

UAD's Pultec Pro for general tone shaping & making things bigger & more 3 dimensional. UAD's Cambridge parametric for more precise tone shaping. Digital Performer's built in 5 band parametric for surgical precision work. And very occasionally the Apple AU 30 band graphic EQ for specific fixes that I can't get with the others.

For general mixing eq i reach for an SSL channelstrip, bx G or E channel. This is mostly because I want to learn more about how hardware/console workflow is, and to use my ears and not visual analyzers when eq-ing. Whenever Im in problemsolving mode or want to do something more advanved I use pro-q3. Many of my channels have a bx console and a q3. If Im just low/high passing I often grab ff simplon instead (just bc I have the complete bundle). On the master bus I mostly dont use an eq but when I do I go for the logic vintage pultech or console eq, or a q3 tilt. But the main aim is to solve this by adressing the source instead. Im also trying out plugin alliance DSM V2 to blend in a bit of eq on the master. The main thing Im missing is something like Gullfoss to solve things that would be unfixable or otherwise very hard to find and adress. But ive had some mixed results so far when trialing.

I think the channelstrip + q3 approach for me works very well and something Ill be doubling down on in the coming time.

Logic ChannelEQ and Vintage EQs plus Tokyo Dawn Labs : bingo!

Ableton EQ eight and TDR Nova for dynamic.

^^^^ in a nutshell: your daw eq plus tdr will make it.

Maybe one day Ableton will come out with a native dynamic EQ

Pro-Q for subtractive eq
T-racks 1081 for boosting

After that if I'm looking for something different, sly-fi's Axis is the next thing I'll grab

I can't tell you how many times I've come across examples of many pros using the Neve 1073 for recording vocals. Of course I'm thinking it's largely due to the sound of it's transformers, but I'm willing to bet they added a touch of the eq as well.

I think the IK has added the preamp harmonic's for it's Neve emulations. There is also the Scheps 73 and newer Arturia 1973. These are the ones I know of.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”