EQ

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ploki wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:39 pm FabFilter ProQ3, Logic's Vintage EQ collection, SoundTheory Gullfoss automatic EQ.
This

Anything Waves or stock plug-in (Cubase).
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

TDR Slick EQ or Luftikus for analog style EQ.

Either SonEQ or PTEQ-x if you want to do the Pultec low-end trick and more.

TDR Nova for dynamic EQ and more detailled parametric eqing needs.

The Gentlemen Editions of the TDR EQs offer additional, sophisticated features!

I also still like IIEQ Pro which is still getting improved and updated quite regularly.

imrae wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:16 am People with Maag EQ4: why do you use it over Luftikus? I find the gain-matching mode in Luftikus to be very helpful in avoiding the "louder is better" trap.
I’m constantly manually balancing by ear. It’s all about perceptual loudness rather than actual loudness. Which is why I turn saturate signals down even they usually cause no measurable change in volume.

I never found it to be an issue.

ramseysounds wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:21 pm Anything Waves or stock plug-in (Cubase).
I quite like their H-EQ and F6 for their flexibility, but I do like their classics for tone shaping. The Manny Marroquin EQ included.

Classics meaning the REQ's? Love 'em. My goto EQ.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Fruity Parametric EQ2 for everything except mid-side situation. For that, another EQ that can process mid-side.

Vibe EQ for sculpting, Izotope Alloy EQ for details, Ozone for Mastering and the EQ Ranger series for touchups on buses.

If you are, as the header said, just getting started, I recommend you to read (just google, you find tons of material) first about the differencies for the Eqs intented to different purposes.
E. g. there are coloring vs. transparent and surgical Eqs, Linear phase Eqs, Graphic vs. Parametric Eqs, Passive Eqs, Eqs with special additional feature such as separate LR and MS effecting, side chaining, dynamic effecting etc. etc. tens of different feature.

After that you can decide, for what purposes, what kind of Eq(s) you need, and how much money you are willing to spend.

As mentioned above in this thread, most of the DAW inbuilt stock Eqs are good enough as a starting point (but your destiny, in the end, will most likely be the same as the rest of us, you wont listen now "good" advices, and you end owning arsenal, at least 20 different Eqs), more or less used. :ud:

Only using stock Logic eq’s, these days :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:30 am Only using stock Logic eq’s, these days :tu:
Since they added the vintage ones that‘s a quite reasonable strategy :tu:
Logic EQs simply cover (nearly) everything...

martinjuenke wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:17 am
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:30 am Only using stock Logic eq’s, these days :tu:
Since they added the vintage ones that‘s a quite reasonable strategy :tu:
Logic EQs simply cover (nearly) everything...
At this point in time I’d be happy even if I just had the Channel EQ. And in other DAWs I’d be just as likely these days to go ‘stock’ :shrug:

I concur with the notion that stock DAW plugins usually are no hindrance to equally great results. It's mostly about personal preference in workflow.
I just happen to not really gel with Reaper's ReaEQ in this regard, so i'm using StonEQ as it works nearly perfect for me in most cases.
Loving Reaper's compressor though :phones:
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:09 amIt's mostly about personal preference in workflow.
Yup! Both Logic’s Compressor and Channel EQ are one-click instantiated from the channel strip, with visual feedback for both on the strip.

One of my biggest wishes for Logic would be sn inbuilt console emulation, with an SSL - style channel strip, viewable/tweakable from either a pop-out window or the ‘Library’ Window :tu:

fabfilter pro-q

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”