Adam A7X or Nuemann KH 120 (KH wins!) So, Acoustics...

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

for a few months, you might as well wait

I'd still like to update my monitors in the meantime. I will plan a trip to Nashville and give them a listen, as soon as I can. Sadly, looks like I won't be able to try out the a8x's :(
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

i tried A8X and then bought Focal Solos.
A8X have inflated bass and farting ports, A7X are better.

Ploki, did you really spend 10K on treatment? Why so much?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:24 pm Ploki, did you really spend 10K on treatment? Why so much?
didn't spend it yet :) it's budgeted and will be done in the next two months.

Because i have a relatively small space and I want what is essentially a NFR(ish) control room design flat from 20 to 20

If you're looking to get a flat 20 - 20k response, I'd combine digital calibration with physical treatments to get the best out of both. Getting the sub-bass right means purpose building the room with meter thick walls and suspended flooring, better take care of it with smart positioning and iron out the rest digitally. Pretty sure you'll end up saving some money that way too.
Sonarworks. Full confidence in sound.

Sonarworks wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:37 pm If you're looking to get a flat 20 - 20k response, I'd combine digital calibration with physical treatments to get the best out of both. Getting the sub-bass right means purpose building the room with meter thick walls and suspended flooring, better take care of it with smart positioning and iron out the rest digitally. Pretty sure you'll end up saving some money that way too.
what could digital calibration possibly give you in terms of ER (phasing) and low-end (standing waves) that you can't train your ears to?

Digital calibration is Speaker calibration, not Room calibration. It has no effect on the room, it only has effect on the response of the speaker. All the room problems remain.

(Flatness being the least of it, since no speaker is flat by design)

Acoustic treatment stuff is actually really interesting. I'm having fun learning what I can.

I can use an omni directional mic to record pink noise playing through my speakers to capture what the room is doing to the original signal. Atleast now I can do A and B test to know if the treatment had an effect.

Is rockwool that much better than foam? I just saw a video of people using foam to achieve a pretty flat sounding room.

I can also use mirrors to target the 1st reflection points on the walls and ceiling, decouple my sub form the floor, and use monitor stands with the tweeter pointed towards my ear in an equilateral triangle, while having the speakers face the length of the room :)

TTU Youtube

Foam? You mean those pyramids?

I've never seen those used in decent studios

Have a look at video please. this

At 1644 you can see the frequency response before the treatment. It seems the foam did a decent enough job.
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTU Youtube

where is frequency response after the treatment?

First of all, measuring a room with FFT is clunky, you want to measure the response of a room with a waterfall so you can also see how room behaves over time.

I don't understand what's going on in that video. Those monitors aren't even able to reproduce bas as low as it's shown on the FFT.

the end result doesn't look much better on the FFT to be honest. :D

You can get various density of foams, but cheap off the shelf variants come in light density that's usually not effective below 1000 Hz. It's about as effective as a couch or a bookshelf (or even less)

I own the kh120 they are way better, far more balanced tonally

yeah pretty much. Adams are hyped on the low end.

Guys, what do you think of my room?

24 by 12 (variable)

Recorded with omnidirectional flat microdsp ubik calibrated microphone and room eq wizard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TTU Youtube

On another note, I don't want to drive 7 hours to pick up new monitors ( 3 and a half one way). I'm thinking of just buying the Nuemann's and going with it. Surely good music can be made on them, even if they happen to not be as good as the adam's if I were to listen in person. I doubt there would be that big of a difference in quality or ....

I hear alot of good things on the hs8 which I agree with. I hear a lot of good things about Nueman's, so hopefully it'll be the same.

Kind of debating this thing, should I just buy sight unseen based on reviews alone? Even if they sound good in the store, there is no guarentee they'll sound good in my untreated room.

TTU Youtube

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”