Adam A7X or Nuemann KH 120 (KH wins!) So, Acoustics...

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I listened to the adam TV7 at my local store and liked them a little more than the yahama H8's, even though they were cheaper. They sounded more clear, cleaning mids, but maybe a bit bright.

They did not have the Adam A8X's in so I could not test. Are they worth nearly 4 times the budget?

Any other monitors I should put on my radar?

I'm working in an untreated, fairly large rectangle room at 24 feet by 16 (estimate) and will be making electronic music. I'll probably just connect my Krk rokit 10 Sub to it, unless recommended otherwise. I'm currently working with Krk Rokit 5's for quite a while and feel its time for an upgrade. If the difference in quality is there, I'll consider the purhase, as long as its not too much (past 2K total for both speakers).
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

If I'm using a sub, are the A8x's necessary, or would the 2x cheaper A7X's suffice?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

still getting used to the T7V here, 3 weeks in.
initial impressions are an incredible stereo image and very low fatigue at 85db
for me the bass passes all tests, these can handle a dnb or techno session alright, it's loud and clear down to the low 30's, so sub optional imo.
no idea if the high end ADAMs are worth the hefty bump in msrp but if they are, then they must be a sound to behear.

acYm wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:04 am no idea if the high end ADAMs are worth the hefty bump in msrp but if they are, then they must be a sound to behear.
I'm wondering the same thing here :hihi:

I don't have a problem paying more if I can hear a difference, problem is, at the price range past $350 its nearly impossible to have a listen to the monitors. Ideally, I'd have 10 different sets of monitors at a similar price range 600-1000 so I can take my time and compare against each other.

Guitar center in nashville, second biggest in USA, only carries 2 "high end" monitors in my shop. I'm wondering who has listened to all these high end monitors that can give there thoughts? Seems people like to order to test, then return. Problem is one can't actively A and B compare against the two. Should I order 2-3 different pairs then return all the ones I don't want? Is that the only way to test this freken monintors before I drop 2 grand? :?

TTU Youtube

Take a bit of care of your room first. Only then think about higher quality monitors.

e@rs wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:13 am Take a bit of care of your room first. Only then think about higher quality monitors.
words of wisdom.

H8 are good monitors and will perform admirably in a well treated room.

any monitor in a shit room will perform like garbage.

Ploki wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:40 am
e@rs wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:13 am any monitor in a shit room will perform like garbage.
^^ THAT ^^

Thanks guys. I spend a lot of time checking the studio construction image threads at gearslutz so I know how important that is.

I'll go around and clap everywhere in my room and note problem areas.

I've narrowed it down to the Adam A7x's and the Neumann KH 120A I hear so much about on GS.

TTU Youtube

i doubt you'll solve lowend with clapping.

of the two I prefer KH 120A

Ploki wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:01 pm i doubt you'll solve lowend with clapping.
Should I assume all corners with be problematic?

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:03 pm
Ploki wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:01 pm i doubt you'll solve lowend with clapping.
yes.
And rockwool is only good for down to 110ish Hz, so anything lower will probably be problematic in any case.

For the least of it, treat corners and first reflections, and back of the room.

@ Nashville, here is their entire stock of monitors in the plus 500+ range. I can listen and compare before I buy.

Genelec 840V
Nuemann KH 120, 310
Adam A7X,
JBL LSR705P

The Genelec and Nueman 120's I'll pay close attention to.

TTU Youtube

Ploki wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:09 pm
Touch The Universe wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:03 pm
yes.
And rockwool is only good for down to 110ish Hz, so anything lower will probably be problematic in any case.

For the least of it, treat corners and first reflections, and back of the room.
Is there a way to be more scientific though :?

I'll do bass traps and the reflections to get it dry as possible, not diffusors unless I can find a decent deal. I won't spend more than $300 on the diffusors.

TTU Youtube

how much are you willing to spend on room treatment?

fwiw, my room treatment budget is 5x my monitors budget.
and i have Focal Twins

I might be moving in a few months, so not too much, maybe 500. Or nothing and I'll wait and spend more when I move.

TTU Youtube

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”