Simple Savihost question

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tmoody wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:18 am @fmr -- Yes, I did place the Savihost executable in the same directory as the .dll file that I wanted to load, and I did rename the executable to be the same as the .dll name, minus the extension. I used copy/paste to do this, to avoid typos. It didn't work. Savihost would open in that directory and show me a dialog box with the .dll in it, but I'd have to double-click that file to get Savihost to open it. And this worked, for a while.

Then, for no reason that I could identify, Savihost would force close after trying to open that .dll file. Then I tried Cantabile Lite, which would load the SWAM plugin into its display, but as soon as I clicked to activate it exactly the same thing would happen. So the fault is either the SWAM engine or ASIO, I guess. Savihost and Cantabile Lite can't make one or the other do something, so it closes. So if the fault is with ASIO4ALL, a replacement should help. If it's with the SWAM engine, well I don't know.
Based on what you wrote, maybe the problem resides in the SWAM instrument itelf. SaviHost doesn't even need ASIO to work. It will work with Windows Audio (although with more latency - but in Windows 10 you can even reduce that). So, if it cannot open SWAM, and neither can Cantabile, something wrong must be happening with SWAM.

I never tried those plug-ins so, I cannot say how they behave. But I second the suggestion for you to install REAPER and try it. REAPER is a very stable and forgiving (in the meaning of compatibility) host. If you experience a problem with REAPER too, then the problem must definitely reside on the SWAM side, be it either connected to your particular system configuration or the SWAM instrument itself.
Fernando (FMR)

An update:
I uninstalled everything, with the help of a friend who drilled down into registry and deleted stuff there too. I then reinstalled ASIO, Cantabile Lite, Savihost, and unpacked the SWAM stuff again (in case that was somehow corrupted).

The result: The SWAM saxes play fine in Cantabile Lite, so that's good. In Savihost, they take quite a while to load (about 10 seconds) and then there's still too much latency. Fiddling with ASIO settings didn't seem to fix that.

So for the time being I'm satisfied, since the main thing is that I have a way to use these plugins that I bought. I did download REAPER but it'll take me some time to figure out what to do with it. Mainly I'm hoping things don't go sideways again. When I installed everything before, it worked fine for almost a week, then failed.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”