Audio interface of 80€ or below

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:07 pm
Funkaroma wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:04 pm Umc404 seems decent indeed, but just to be clear, would a umc22 work for 2 synths that are synced? Can you connect a synth to a combo xlr and a instrument input? Because for now I dont have more then 2 synths to play at once, maybe some effects that would be connected to them and something like a korg sq-1. Cheapest solution is the best solution for me right now
You can use a combo xlr as a line in. So, you could have 2 synths connected in MONO.
My 2 synths are both mono so thats no problem

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:10 pm
Funkaroma wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:52 pm And would something like this work to connect more audio in

https://www.av-connection.com/?PGr=10939
It would get you more ins, but the synths connected would be sharing a single mono channel ... ok, if you're just jamming, but not ideal. Make sure the adaptor has mono inputs & a mono connection to the interface or it may not work.
What is the downside of 2 mono synth that are using 1 mono channel? I understand that its not ideal to record 2 synths in 1 channel so I would would do this seperatly. I think its an ok solution for the time being I guess. I didnt expected that I could actually use a mic also if I get that kind of adapter to split the signal. In the meantime I can safe up for maybe something like a steinburg ur242

There are also these small mixers with usb connection:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_q502_usb.htm
This would give you 5 inputs, one Mic and two stereo...
With the advantage that you can mix also without computer...

At that price I would try and find a used UR22. If your two synths have mono outputs, you only need two mono inputs (for now). The UR22 has very good build quality and good drivers. In my experience it outperforms the equivalent Focusrite alternatives. I haven't tested any of the Behringer models.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:25 am There are also these small mixers with usb connection:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_q502_usb.htm
This would give you 5 inputs, one Mic and two stereo...
With the advantage that you can mix also without computer...
This one hasnt got a build in soundcard isnt it? On the web people say that if you want to record and connect it to a computer you need a audio interface and if you want use it standalone you need a mixer. A bit confusing if you tell me..

tehlord wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:57 am At that price I would try and find a used UR22. If your two synths have mono outputs, you only need two mono inputs (for now). The UR22 has very good build quality and good drivers. In my experience it outperforms the equivalent Focusrite alternatives. I haven't tested any of the Behringer models.
Yeah my synths are both mono. Is the old edition ur22 good enough then? I know is quit old and there is now a mk2 on the market. I dont know if the behringer umc22 has the same options to record 2 mono synths then I might just go for that and save money for a audio interface which can handle more then 2 for the future.

After some research I think it will be maybe good to have a mixer like;

https://m.thomann.de/nl/behringer_xenyx_802.htm

+ a cheap audio interface

https://m.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ucont ... 1545505071

I have no actual knowledge about mixers, but this setup gives me 4 audio channels(2mono and 2stereo + main out to my studio monitors and I have a better soundcard due the fact of the behringer ucontrol. I dont know if there is a possible way to record a mono synth tru a stereo channel? So for clearness this maybe would be better to buy because it has more inputs isnt it? It looks kinda confusing all those knobs on the mixer vs a audio interface with minimal knobs tho.

Would this be better of a audio interface?

Edit;

You also have mixers with a usb connection like;

https://m.thomann.de/nl/behringer_xenyx ... 1545506141

This one has build in audio interface I see, but i dont which would be better. This would be more minimal which I like tbh.

What's the application? Are you trying to record to mix in the computer, or are you performing and just need to get the sound out?

I wrote about my experience with the Behringer UMC404HD. In short, it works fine:
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=503594

I have an older version of those Behringer mixers and it is a pain to work with. I hope that the newer versions are better designed, but I look at that thing and have an immediate instinct to pull away. I imagine if they redesigned those things they would have also changed the way it looks (like the UMC) for people like me that have used the mixers and found them useless.

Again, I can't say for those specifically because I haven't tried the new ones with USB out, but the one I have is the previous generation without USB. Those promise great features, some even have built-in FXs. It's all bottom-of-the-barrel technology. Don't think that because it has more knobs it is doing you a service. The design of it will mangle your audio the more you use the knobs. The FXs are going to be terrible. You are going to want to do the least amount of adjustments. So from that perspective ask yourself if you really need a mixer that mixes everything down to a single L/R channel.

If you are recording to the DAW for the purpose of mixing, then by all means you want independent channels for all your tracks. Don't mixdown your tracks using a mixer into a single L/R channel, it takes away all your power to mix the tracks into a song using your DAW. For the needs you mentioned, I would recommend that you get a USB interface with 4 channels so you can independently record your synths in stereo, or your synths in mono plus a vocal.

About Mono and Stereo channels
I see this is confusing. You'll make sense of it once you have an interface to play with. For these devices, there is no real difference between mono and stereo, they are all mono channels. So on the mixer, the one that is labeled "stereo" is basically 2 mono channels with labels of L and R.

Same in the USB interface, all inputs are mono, but in the DAW you can say that 1 + 2 are going to be L/R of a stereo path, and 3 + 4 are going to be L/R of another stereo path. Or you can use them all in mono and have 4 tracks.

Also, on the UMC404HD the combo inputs let you plug in XLR or 1/4 instrument cable into any channel. It doesn't matter how you want to connect. It only matters if you are using phantom power for a condenser mic, because that only goes out via the XLR no the instrument plug. So if you are using a condenser mic you want that plugged in using XLR, and your synths plugged in using an instrument cable to avoid sending phantom power to the synths.

Also,

> It looks kinda confusing all those knobs on the mixer
Other than gain management, those knobs are just decoration. You are going to want to leave them at unity (0 adjustments).

There's a "compressor" knob. A good hardware compressor will run you at least $1k. What on earth do you think this cheap unit is doing with a "compressor" without any settings to control the character? Only touch this knob to disable it.

There are "eq" knobs. Fixed frequency and Q. This is last resort stuff and should only be used for attenuation.

If you are routing all your audio to a DAW, then don't touch any of it. Don't pan, compress or eq using a discount hardware unit. You can do so much better applying these effects in your DAW.

So basicly the umc404HD would work perfect? Its quit a lot of information to learn for a beginner so its a bit overwhelming to be honest.

So the umc404HD can record 4 synthesizers at once and it doesnt mather if they are stereo or mono and there is room for a microphone? I see on the back of the 404HD there are 4 6.3mm inserts and 4 mic inserts on the front.

And what are the playback outputs on the device? Does they work for studio monitor outputs?

The umc404HD is slightly above my budget but maybe I could find a good one in good condition second hand.

jochicago wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:27 pm Also,

> It looks kinda confusing all those knobs on the mixer
Other than gain management, those knobs are just decoration. You are going to want to leave them at unity (0 adjustments).

There's a "compressor" knob. A good hardware compressor will run you at least $1k. What on earth do you think this cheap unit is doing with a "compressor" without any settings to control the character? Only touch this knob to disable it.

There are "eq" knobs. Fixed frequency and Q. This is last resort stuff and should only be used for attenuation.

If you are routing all your audio to a DAW, then don't touch any of it. Don't pan, compress or eq using a discount hardware unit. You can do so much better applying these effects in your DAW.
Well yeah all those knobs doesnt attract me at all actually. The only thing why this looked interesting was the amount of inputs the device has.

I want to create music on analog synthesizers and record them in my daw to edit them. I only have a pocket operator and a korg volca, so for now my gear is very minimal, but looking at the future I would like to connect like max 4 synths to make a proper jam exc. Effects and sequencer. More then 4 I dont need because that would be overwhelming I think. I cant buy every thing at once so a hardware collection is a very slow progress for me, but it has some positive sides too.. I have the time to figure out everything what a synth can do.

The UMC404HD can handle 4 inputs at once, but its your DAW that does the recording. The outputs are for monitors. The channel inserts are for putting FX onto input tracks before they arrive at your DAW (a compressor for example).

I think taking time to build up and grow is a fun thing. You can focus on your current instruments, learn and explore them, and in time add more instruments and dedicate time to those too. If you could have it all today, it would take away a lot of the fun and excitement.

if you are going into a DAW to make your songs, then a hardware mixer is the wrong idea. You want separate tracks. Once you get good at mixing you'll be thankful you have a USB interface that lets you bring in your tracks so you can mix them at will using the power of the DAW. One more thing you can have fun learning and exploring :D

enroe wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:40 pm You should google for --> Behringer Audio-Interfaces. :)
/endthread.

Remarkable value for money. Build quality is way above others in the same price range. My UMC204HD sounds better and has more features than my last interface that cost way more.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Another option is a mixer with a built in audio interface. Something like A&H Zed10 maybe?

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... %20Website

More expensive than €80 tho'

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”