Best non traditional daw?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you want something non-traditional just for fun, the upcoming Bitwig 3.0 seems the way to go. The Grid modular patching, plus all the other modulation routing capabilities within the native plugins will make for a fun, creative playground. Of course, you can also have a similar experience with Reason, so I wouldn’t rule that out either.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Renoise
Bitwig 3
Mixbus 32c v5
Waveform 9 (soon 10)

iOS :D

Linux can have operating system level high performance audio routing, take a look at this distribution, it comes with a lot of applications:

https://ubuntustudio.org/

From their website:

"Ubuntu Studio is a free and open source operative system, and an official flavor of Ubuntu. Ubuntu Studio is the most widely used multimedia orientated GNU/Linux distribution in the world. It comes preinstalled with a selection of the most common free multimedia applications available, and is configured for best performance for the Ubuntu Studio defined workflows: Audio, Graphics, Video, Photography and Publishing."

It comes with low audio latency kernel options.
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download.

Studio one is one of them. Cheap, powerfull and very easy to making music. Here were I live, it's a not tradicional DAW. People prefer much more Ableton, Reaper or Logic pro.

Ah :D define "traditional".

In my eyes, that term refers to "conventional way of working"

In that case, a really good unconventional DAW would be Renoise, while Bitwig coming second, but that's already pretty close to conventional in my opinion.

---Hell, anything than Renoise is conventional to me :D
:dog:

Jeskola Buzz is by far my favorite. Modular routing + tracker sequencing = :love:

Buzz peer controls allow for all sorts of interesting modulations too, though since peer machines are kind of a hodge-podge, I often find myself forgetting which thing does what when I come back to a project.

I really wish there was some kind of uniform standard that allowed VSTs to read from and write to a wavetable like Buzz machines can (I mean "wavetable" in the more general sense of a sample bank stored in DAW memory; not just a bunch of single-cycle waveforms in the "wavetable synth" sense). That's one thing that I find really special about Buzz - a common sample pool that can be accessed and manipulated by multiple machines simultaneously. Wavetable feedback loops are the best unintentional feature I've ever encountered in audio land.

Delta Sign wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:28 pm I'll just throw Loomer Architect into the mix.

It's still in beta, but it's very promising and could be called non-traditional, I suppose.
Definitely non-traditional in the sense that I've been looking at LUA scripting FAQs to help make sense of it.

I hope Colin puts together some tutorials soon, the learning curve is pretty steep.

Reason 10 is incredibly good especially with things like all of the "Player" unit's and all of the best Rack Extension sequencers + things like Parsec 2 which is a very special and powerful Additive Synthesizer you can combine waveforms with that has great mallets and pads and also things like the multi modulation Nostromo Spectral sequencer instrument and maybe a granular synth like Proton or Arkana and of course the Resonans physical modelling synthesizer.

The basic pricing of the rack extension instruments is around $99 dollars on average. They now also do a subscription service that allows you to subscribe for up to $29 a month to get $2000 worth of modular rack extensions and also offer rent-to-own sales. Reason really isn't hard to use.

All of the modules load automatically you just drag the effects under the instrument to make them load and can even scale quantize and do auto chords and arpeggiators.I looooove Reason 10 and am anxiously awaiting Reason 10.5/11.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”